Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when racing a maverick in 4wd can the rear wheels lock up and slide independant of the front wheels? or will the fronts lock as soon as the rears do? Im thinking rally car style slides into tight corners.

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
I think it's all combined. You could add a brake proportioning valve and add more bias to either end but that's a ton of work. Some things are just better left alone

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im thinking that the ability to slide it going into the corners will allow me to come in hot and carry more speed in the corner by sliding in and dumping the handbrake while planting my right foot.

·
Registered
671 Posts
The drive train is all locked together when in 4x4. Think of a quad with independent brake levers. If you hammer the rear brakes hard enough you will lock up all 4 when in 4x4.

·
Registered
806 Posts
The drive train is all locked together when in 4x4. Think of a quad with independent brake levers. If you hammer the rear brakes hard enough you will lock up all 4 when in 4x4.
Exactly. Just like rockcrawling. If you want to brake steer you have to disconnect the transfer case first. You will not be able to use a rear only handbrake while in 4wd.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Im thinking that the ability to slide it going into the corners will allow me to come in hot and carry more speed in the corner by sliding in and dumping the handbrake while planting my right foot.
Sliding is rarely, if ever, the faster way around any track. You might have watched too many drifting movies ;). That said, it sure is fun.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
so is the four wheel drive switchable on the fly or will it destroy the case?
according to Can Am...it is not. But many many people (to include racers) have reported that they do it all the time without any issues. Just left of the throttle for a second while it engages and don't do it under a load such as climbing a steep hill etc.....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sliding is rarely, if ever, the faster way around any track. You might have watched too many drifting movies ;). That said, it sure is fun.
HAHA! no I dont watch that many drifting movies, as a matter of fact none, but I have watched hours and hours of Colin Mcrae in car videos. And I stayed at a holiday inn last night!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Have you ever been to a sprint car race? Sideways is faster!!
I have not, but it looks fun. That actually would be great style to have a race series for a SXS class.

I guess I should disclaim then: in anything but dirt circle track racing (which I've never done) if you slide in front if me, you get passed!

·
Registered
137 Posts
We race in the south east rally raid. We run 9 1/2 miles per lap over and around 2 mountains on trails and logging roads for 4 hours each race. as far as power sliding on dirt . Check up off he gas, pitch it sideways ( let off gas ,turn into curve hard, matt the gas and turn the wheel deep the way you want the kart to go)and matt the gas it will it dig like a bitch in 4 wheel drive into full drift .I will try to post some footage from Saturdays race

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When is the next race? I dont have my maverick yet but I would love to come over and help out in the pits or something.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts