Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went riding at CAW today and only 20 min into the ride the motor cut back and would only allow me to go about 5 mph. At the same time I had a warning light and BRAKE going across the gauge. So I stopped and pressed the brakes. Light went out and rode for about 10 min before it did it again. I stopped and checked the brakes. I noticed that the brake lights were on. Had someone press the brakes and release them several times before the lights went out. Rode for a short time before it did it again. While the brake lights were on I pushed the maverick with no problem. The brakes are not sticking. I had to unplug the brake switch to be able to ride. I'm taking it that it thinks I'm riding with the brakes on. So after unplugging the brake switch which works off the brake pressure. I was able to ride with no other problems. Has anyone else had a problem with the brake switch? Only have 300 miles on her. Also checked fluid and its full and no leaks.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
139 Posts
Went riding at CAW today and only 20 min into the ride the motor cut back and would only allow me to go about 5 mph. At the same time I had a warning light and BRAKE going across the gauge. So I stopped and pressed the brakes. Light went out and rode for about 10 min before it did it again. I stopped and checked the brakes. I noticed that the brake lights were on. Had someone press the brakes and release them several times before the lights went out. Rode for a short time before it did it again. While the brake lights were on I pushed the maverick with no problem. The brakes are not sticking. I had to unplug the brake switch to be able to ride. I'm taking it that it thinks I'm riding with the brakes on. So after unplugging the brake switch which works off the brake pressure. I was able to ride with no other problems. Has anyone else had a problem with the brake switch? Only have 300 miles on her. Also checked fluid and its full and no leaks.

I had the same issue when I replaced the rear bulbs with LED one's brake lights would stay on. I replaced them with a different brand led bulbs and the problem went away. Also check to see if you have a bulb burnt out.
This may not be your problem but I'm just trying to help from my experience.

Joe

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quick update on the problem. I cleaned up the Maverick today and connected the switch back up. I took it out for a short ride and I'm not getting the break warning anymore. I'm starting to think I may have a short somewhere. All brake lights work and connections are good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My brake warning light has come on, on the dash, no readout of anything wrong, just the light. I've tapped the brakes and it goes out. Anyone know what's causing this?

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Mine has came on coming off a big steep hill if you stay on the brakes more than ten seconds but once you let off the brakes the light will go off. But the brake warning light coming on is normal

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This problem has come back on my maverick also. Was it hot the day you were riding? Every time I've had this problem the temp has been up in the high 90's and I've been riding for awhile. What I'm thinking is the brake fluid is getting hot and building up pressure which is causing the pressure switch to close witch is turning on the tail lights on. Then you get the brake warning and it kills your power. It's a fail safe to keep you from riding with your foot on the brakes and burning them up. But every time I've had this problem my foot is not on the brakes. I've been just driving down a dirt road and it do. Also going up a hill which was a little scary to have it cut back on power half way up a steep hill. I've been able to get around this by unplugging the wire on the pressure switch but then I have no brake lights. Would it be worth changing the pressure switch??? I ask because if it's heat causing the issue then a new switch will not help. I've only had the problem when it's a hot day and I've been riding for a few hours. Then I get the problem a simple tap of the brakes and it will go away but will come back a few minutes later. What is your thoughts?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I agree that it's probably not a switch with the way you describe the problem, but if the switch is cheap, I would change it. Have you bled your brakes, air in the system might cause it. You might want to see if you can get a better quality brake fluid too. Good luck, let us know what you find.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm still running the stock brake fluid. I haven't touched the brakes since I bought the maverick. I started having this problem just after the 6 month warranty was off and my dealer would not help me in any way. They just told me to bring it in. But I'm going to look into it some more and probably will change the switch.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Any solution for this, mine is doing the same thing. Very annoying. New machine just over ten hours on it, hoping it will wear in as I go, but the engine over ride is driving me nuts.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If it's a new machine, try talking to your dealer. Hopefully they will help you out. It should be covered by warranty. I have not been able to work on mine to try and find a problem. If you find anything out share with us because like you said this is annoying.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It was the sensor on the end of the master cylinder. It failed causing the brake lights to stay on. The machine thought I was riding the brakes so I would get the warning then it would go into limp mode. You can unplug the sensor and it shouldn't happen, but your brake lights will not work. I rode with it unplug for a few months before changing it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts