Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had brake issues with 2020 maverick x3. I haven’t ever been happy with brake performance since new. Had back to dealer to bleed system was told brakes were functioning normally. Checked brakes yesterday and both rear inner pads worn mainly towards rear piston down to bare metal. Anybody with similar issues. Put sintered pads on but need answers to why this happening.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Welcome from NW Oregon!

How many miles on the brakes?
Sounds like you have sticking calipers or piston, possibly only one piston is functioning however it's strange that it's on both sides causing uneven wear.
I would depress the pistons with the pad back in (see if there is any binding) and have someone press the brakes while you can watch to see if they are functioning equally.

·
Premium Member
14,644 Posts
Welcome from Tucson AZ. The brakes aren't the greatest. Soft and spongy describes them. Unless you dump big money into them, get used to the soft / spongy feel.

·
Registered
2021 XRS RR w/ SmartShox
33 Posts
That’s the first thing I noticed at the dealer when I picked up my ‘21......the brakes were horrible. I made the tech drive it again because I could not imagine a machine that costs this much and goes this fast has such sh**ty brakes. It’s a ~1600 pound buggy with 4 wheel disk brakes. Seems like there would be a pretty simple solution to this problem. Pads/pad material, rotors/rotor material, brake control system. This is something I will definitely throw some money at to fix/upgrade.

·
Premium Member
9,101 Posts
You two need to do some searching around this forum. Yes the calipers stick sometimes and need cleaning and lubrication. Yes the brakes are spongy, that’s just the brakes on the x3.

·
Premium Member
2,405 Posts
The brakes aren’t horrible . Lol tons and tons of threads on this exact subject. They will stop you just fine. The brakes are soft and spongy but still function fine. If pads are wearing abnormally then calipers are sticking i out r caked with mud and debris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 CanAm Maverick Sport 1000R
54 Posts
I myself have not had an X3 (yet) I do however have the MavS 1000R DPS and the brakes are just fine, now noise wise good lord do they sing but other than that they have good stopping power I agree with @Oak Hills my trail buddies have X3's and the brakes from what they say definitely are not up to par with cost, but like he said with a few $$$$ you can definitely get some good stopping power out of it.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
correct, they do not get better with a 2020 master cylinder, they do not get better with high dollar fluid, they do not get better with new oem pads and rotors.

they are mushy, but still work in a panic stop.
Yeah, you just have to remember to pull back on the reins early.... lol

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
There's a couple places on the property I get up to a pretty good clip up and over a hill then descend into a real tight hairpin around a tree where I have to almost be stopped. There's been a few times I think I yelled out "whoa baby" to myself questioning if those spongy brakes were going to take hold......phew, I'm still here!

·
Premium Member
14,644 Posts
There's a couple places on the property I get up to a pretty good clip up and over a hill then descend into a real tight hairpin around a tree where I have to almost be stopped. There's been a few times I think I yelled out "whoa baby" to myself questioning if those spongy brakes were going to take hold......phew, I'm still here!
They don't stop all that well in sand either!

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
2,773 Posts
The brakes aren’t horrible . Lol tons and tons of threads on this exact subject. They will stop you just fine. The brakes are soft and spongy but still function fine. If pads are wearing abnormally then calipers are sticking i out r caked with mud and debris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree the brakes are not horrible. People are just not used to standing on them pretty hard to get a lot of braking force. People are used to the feel power brakes on a car, and expect the same feel on a Can Am.

A normal functioning Can Am could be perceived as needing to be bled if compared to the feel of an automobile.

Could the brakes be better and have a better feel? Yes.

One thing that happens is people put bigger and bigger tires on which makes the brakes feel even worse. And you do lose effective braking force the bigger the tires get.

Biggest problem of the squishy feel is the steel braided bake lines. They expand under braking pressure giving the feeling of a low pedal with air in the system.

Just push harder.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I agree the brakes are not horrible. People are just not used to standing on them pretty hard to get a lot of braking force. People are used to the feel power brakes on a car, and expect the same feel on a Can Am.

A normal functioning Can Am could be perceived as needing to be bled if compared to the feel of an automobile.

Could the brakes be better and have a better feel? Yes.

One thing that happens is people put bigger and bigger tires on which makes the brakes feel even worse. And you do lose effective braking force the bigger the tires get.

Biggest problem of the squishy feel is the steel braided bake lines. They expand under braking pressure giving the feeling of a low pedal with air in the system.

Just push harder.
Agreed, it's a Can Am thing!

They are not fast to react or stop, you have to hold on to them longer while the pedal keeps going down with that spongy feeling.
I think if the caliper/pad was a bit larger/longer would cure the problem, feels like there's not enough surface area to be effective.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I recommend changing the fluid and doing a thorough bleed job. There was rust and air when I did mine, my two reservoirs were different colors one was brown the other somewhat clear.
The fluid that came out had rust.
The uneven wear can be from an air pocket trapped in the caliper.

·
Registered
2020 X3 XRS Turbo RR
333 Posts
When I first tried my brakes it felt like they needed to be bled. When I got the buggy to my shop I bled front and rear -- no joy. And while I do have power brakes on all my street cars, my race car has manual brakes so I know what solid manual brakes are supposed to feel like.

I figured that the long runs of flex hose was expanding under pressure and causing the spongy feel. I've seen this before. As part of the fabrication to install my Fuel Safe under-seat fuel cell, I had to relocate the rear brake lines and ran steel tubing and minimum run of quality SS braided hose. The hose you see in the photo could be shorter and would have but I had a couple leftover new hoses this length in my brake parts stash so used them on this new ride.

Haven't got to the front yet but just doing the rears made a night and day difference. So you can get a firmer pedal if you're willing to spend some time and $$. Once I get the fronts changed over to hard lines I believe I will achieve that solid feel I prefer.

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
2,773 Posts
When I first tried my brakes it felt like they needed to be bled. When I got the buggy to my shop I bled front and rear -- no joy. And while I do have power brakes on all my street cars, my race car has manual brakes so I know what solid manual brakes are supposed to feel like.

I figured that the long runs of flex hose was expanding under pressure and causing the spongy feel. I've seen this before. As part of the fabrication to install my Fuel Safe under-seat fuel cell, I had to relocate the rear brake lines and ran steel tubing and minimum run of quality SS braided hose. The hose you see in the photo could be shorter and would have but I had a couple leftover new hoses this length in my brake parts stash so used them on this new ride.

Haven't got to the front yet but just doing the rears made a night and day difference. So you can get a firmer pedal if you're willing to spend some time and $$. Once I get the fronts changed over to hard lines I believe I will achieve that solid feel I prefer.

View attachment 268629
Thats the best and biggest improvement you can make for sure.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts