Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

Im not much for impulse buys. I bought a new 2011 RZR4, completely unaware it had power steering as an option.

I just bought what was on the lot.

Strange really, because I typically order my vehicles from the factory as a customer build, so I get it the way I want it.

Fast forward to last week. I planned to dump my rzr4 800 for a RZR4 900. The dealership had my 800 in for service anyway, and Polaris had a pretty attractive deal going on. We couldn't make it work. It just wasnt a good deal.

I walked out of the dealership, and there sat a max. I already knew the maverick was a better sxs than the RZR, but I didnt know it was already out in 4 seat form. One look, and I was sold. Even the back seats make you feel like your in a jet fighter. So I walked back in and made the same mistake I did in 2011. I bought the model that wasnt the best.

I know I can upgrade the shocks, but even the 2.0 foxes are great. Im not competing, just having some fun with friends and family. it will do, but the wife didnt like how hard it was to steer the RZR. Here I went and put her in the same boat again. So im thinking of adding superatv's power steering to it, and it should be pretty much everything I want from the xrs.

Will it work? Is there a better kit out there?
Lastly, can I upgrade the gauge cluster? Can someone at least show a good picture of what im missing?

Thanks all. Im happy, and will be VERY happy once I get out on the trails! Just want to make it the best it can be.

I guess while we are at it,

What are the must have mods and accessories? Im kind of surprised no one has started a thread for ones to avoid, as well as must haves.

I ordered the radio, GPS, Bimini top, cheaper full windshield to pop in just when it might be needed, rear view mirror.
Also picked up the gear rail with two gun holders, the gun cases, a 1 gallon fuel tank reserve.

Thinking of ordering the detachable rail for the bed, the shorter one, and one of the compartments that go back there, so that's why I ask mainly.

Thanks for the help all. Suffering from summer flu, so a little NyQuil scatterbrained goin on tonight.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
No problem adding power steering to the max. Super atv and wicked built offer power steering options. U could also order the factory kit

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
i would try and drive one with factory ps and one with aftermarket ps most people like the aftermarket better and the xrs guage will work once you have your dealer reprogram the gauge to the ecu

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx Canamxteam. Participation is a little on the slow side on this topic. I read through every single topic on the accessories section, and I did find a picture showing the gauges. I didnt get much info on the power steering, but that's okay. I mean, people that have the stock ps aren't going to really know what the aftermarket is like, and people without it are just gonna be happy to have a solution.

I read one of the aftermarket ones sticks out on the drivers side as well. Perhaps ill just have to find a good event where lots of will be.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Superatv's Power steering kit is a real good one I don't have it yet but my buddy does n I can honestly say I want one bad.
The factory ps is a bit funny to some people but some really like it IDK, I do know the aftermarket kit are holding up just as good if that's what your worried about

·
Registered
131 Posts
I had the super atv kit on one of my mavericks for 4 months. Bought a second maverick and bought another super atv kit. Realy dont see how the factory could be any better. I have no complaints .

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just called Can Am...$799 for the factory ps plus $600 for them to install. $1400 installed seems a little too expensive for me. It couldn't be that hard to install, could it?

·
Registered
545 Posts
I guess while we are at it,
What are the must have mods and accessories? Im kind of surprised no one has started a thread for ones to avoid, as well as must haves.
Must have - for any Mav or Max.
Tie Rods front & rear (I prefer CT Racing)
Front frame brace (again CT Racing)
Make sure the dealer did the latest clutch stud Service Buliten. There have been reports of new 2014 getting delivered w/o this.
Make sure the secondary air filter has been installed.
Real seat belts - give Chris / Tyler at Devious Powersports a call for ProArmor belts
Doors - not sure of who has Max doors yet.
Clutching- it appears the stud recall has resolved the clutch issue. Lots of options if not (STM, QSC, etc).
The rest is personal taste, the Mav is a very durable machine out of the box. Oh ya, welcome and congrats on your purchase.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Make sure the dealer did the latest clutch stud Service Buliten. There have been reports of new 2014 getting delivered w/o this.
Real seat belts - give Chris / Tyler at Devious Powersports a call for ProArmor belts
Clutching- it appears the stud recall has resolved the clutch issue. Lots of options if not (STM, QSC, etc).
The rest is personal taste, the Mav is a very durable machine out of the box. Oh ya, welcome and congrats on your purchase.

Secondary air filter? Are you referring to that tapered filter under the maverick plastic piece on the drivers side?

·
Vendor
1,767 Posts
Brandon, there is a few reasons why alot of people do not add the factory units. They are for sure pricy and also not speed sensitive which is a huge difference. The Faster you go the less assist the kit gives. - JT

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for that! I appreciate the information! Im looking forward to having a lot of fun with this!
Brandon, there is a few reasons why alot of people do not add the factory units. They are for sure pricy and also not speed sensitive which is a huge difference. The Faster you go the less assist the kit gives. - JT
JT, can you explain that to me? What do you mean by speed sensitive? The super atv gives less assist the faster you go?

·
Vendor
1,767 Posts
JT, can you explain that to me? What do you mean by speed sensitive? The super atv gives less assist the faster you go?
Yes, this is correct. The faster you go, requires less strength to steer so the unit senses speed and cuts "assist" power the faster you go. So basically lets say at 1mph you have 100% assist and at 60mph you have 20% (BTW numbers are for example only) - JT

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yes, this is correct. The faster you go, requires less strength to steer so the unit senses speed and cuts "assist" power the faster you go. So basically lets say at 1mph you have 100% assist and at 60mph you have 20% (BTW numbers are for example only) - JT
That would be the blue wire that is not used on the mavericks/commanders. Unless something changed lately, that is not an option for us.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I called my dealer today to ask about the price for the factory ps. He told me its not available yet from the manufacturer. Is he lazy and not wanting to do more than flip through the catalog? Or is it really not even possible to get it at this time?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I went to the Can Am website, and the 2014 model parts diagrams are available there. That said, the parts required to upgrade to the stock setup, including the dash switch for the DPS, are going to be around 2100.00

Im sure its a great set up, but its not worth 3 grand after install.

So, now to look for the best deal on the Super ATV

1 - 20 of 35 Posts