Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
good morning. New to can am side of things. Have skidoo and sold rzr to get this maverick 1000r xds turbo. First ride out it seems with grey key no smell but sport key when turbo or intercooler kicks in there comes and ammonia smell in the cab. Pretty heavy. Have no clue why this would occur ? any help would be great. Otherwise love the rig. Also is there an intercooler diverter for these to divert the heat from flowing from the front intercooler in the cab?

·
Registered
218 Posts
The front intercooler you are asking about is your radiator and yes, it does blow some warm air in the cab. Many people have wrapped the exhaust and center console in header tape or heat reflective blankets to help reduce the heat from the motor but unless you relocate the radiator there isnt much you can do about it. I left my side nets on instead of doors so the air can flow into the cab vs being trapped by the doors, and I am almost 7 foot tall so I need so leg room and the net allows my leg to stick out past the body a little bit...

·
Registered
2020 xrs turbo rr-blue
64 Posts
If the ecu has been tuned and you are still running the catalytic converter, the richer mixture could be causing the smell

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've never owned a turbo so have no clue. Would it indicate a leak in radiator or just smelling exhaust? I would assume I would have to take to dealer to figure out if ecu was tuned plugging into buds?

·
Registered
393 Posts
My guess is a blown head gasket which under high boost is letting pressure into the coolant system.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So a really dumb question. I am a clean freak and this thing was filthy as in 6 hours of cleaning filthy. I used trim shine(stones its the best) and sprayed all trim including the radiator plastic. Could this be the cause? When it hits the turbo would it heat up that much more to activate it?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
obviously if you sprayed chemicals onto surfaces that get hot you will smell something as it burns off.

If you want to get rid of some of the heat you need to remove the windshields and doors......buy a vented hood...you will be amazed at how much radiator heat will now flow up and out instead of into the cab

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
obviously if you sprayed chemicals onto surfaces that get hot you will smell something as it burns off.

If you want to get rid of some of the heat you need to remove the windshields and doors......buy a vented hood...you will be amazed at how much radiator heat will now flow up and out instead of into the cab
Thanks a bunch. Has a rear window too. Would you remove this or does it help a ton with dust,

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I would remove the rear first and never put it back on unless its super cold out......its holding in all the heat ......thats why i wrote "windshields"...you a have a front and rear

go drive it for a while and get it hot.....see if there is the smell after a while

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Does the vented hood evacuate a lot more heat if i kept the windows and doors on.
it has nothing to do with the windshields and doors.....and how is it going to remove more heat with the doors and windows on ? seriously ?.......yank your hood off and drive around...lean over the open hood area with the vehicle running and hot, you'll see how much heat escapes from that area

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Will do. Thanks a bunch. New to the turbo world. Rig will be used mainly in grey key mode running logging roads and hunting. No need for boost unless we go to the dunes.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
You don’t understand the keys ......put away your baby key, there is no use for it . Ride in eco mode with the regular key. The boring key limits speed......seems like you think it turns off your turbo .

you need to spend time with your vehicle before making decisions about one key being only or dunes . Go drive it , get seat time

·
Registered
979 Posts
ct raceworx makes some inner fender panels, some have said they made the biggest difference in heat reduction, I never had a heat problem in my 16 but I did cover the underside of my console with heat mat. I also never had a windshield, roof, or rear window

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Here’s mine .....the top one does the most followed by the sides

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You are correct I don’t know a ton about the keys but I went through all the modes and keys in the situations I run and the grey key seems to be smoother and certainly doesn’t activate the turbo at all. Am I missing something on the sport key? I ran them both and here’s what I found

grey key eco mode 44 mph
Grey key sport mode 46 mph

sport key eco mode 60 mph, seemed turbo activated but limited it
Sport key sport mode 70 mph. Definite turbo activated,

I’d love to know what should and should not be happening.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts