Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a brand new trail i went to
put a new winch mount on and bottom insert spun, i got it out but now im trying to find the insert and tool, the hex is 12mm any suggestions on where to get something suitable local or something to order appreciated

·
Premium Member
6,970 Posts
I don't recall ever seeing a hex shaped nut-sert.

Just from the pic, maybe a nut tack welded ?

That's all I can think of.

Tim

·
Premium Member
6,970 Posts
I just seached and there are places that sell hex shaped nutcert. Tim

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i find the hex ones online but most are 11mm or 13mm and this hole is 12mm was hoping for suggestions from people who gave done it appears to be common and this things only a week old trying to avoid drilling or welding the new frame and i feel
like the hex will hold stronger

·
Registered
749 Posts
At least on MavT/MavS model variants, Can-Am provides numerous hexagonal holes punched into roll cage members for mounting accessories, such as for roof, rear view mirror and side view mirror attachment points. Those are nice in that the mating nutsert likewise has hexagonal body shape vs round cylindrical, which once swaged into position are much less likely to spin uselessly. Pics below show the one on each side as part of attaching Can-Am Sport mirrors. I didn't have a nutsert tool, so simply used a matching metric bolt, washer and nut (holding bolt head fixed while cranking down the nut until the backside of the nutsert swaged against inside of cage member). The OP should be able to obtain those hex nutserts from their dealer.

IMG_4571.JPG IMG_4567.JPG IMG_4568.JPG IMG_4572.JPG

·
Registered
749 Posts
If these are the specific inserts in question, threaded size is 8mm not 12mm (perhaps major diameter of the punched hexagonal hole). Looking at the MavT parts fiche for the frame, I don't see those 8mm inserts listed separately, since they're preinstalled in the frame member at the factory for all model variants. You might measure and compare that now exposed hex hole to the others I mentioned above. If same, seems likely Can-Am dealers keep them in stock for accessory installations. Also noting torque spec for those is just 142 +/- 18 inch-pounds. Did you over-torque during installation?

1593961031765.png 1593961063166.png 1593961107372.png

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
things brand new it spun taking it out but thanks for torque specs i can put it back correctly

·
Registered
749 Posts
^^^ Agreed. Also, just now checked mirror e-instructions which indicates the roll cage member nutserts are M6. I still think best source of replacement M8 inserts would be a Can-Am dealer.

·
Premium Member
6,970 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Nice work inspector Clueso!

Tim
Agreed! Googling that p/n shows images including hexagonal backside of the nutsert barrel and flange which engages the mating hole. My own bubba method of using a metric bolt, washer and nut avoids need for a nutsert installation tool.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts