Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

Blue loctite on Rear axle splines?

8K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  kenner 
#1 ·
Greased the rear wheel bearings on my 19 Mav S this weekend. Removing the Disk brake assembly off the spline was a job, got one side off with a lot of prying and pounding with a rubber mallet. On the other side I ended up buying a puller to remove it. I'm glad I did since that side had Blue loctite on the splines, the other side did not.
In the shop Manual it says to use Blue Loctite on the rear splines when reassembling. After what it took to get them off, I reassembled with out it, just a light coat of oil to prevent seizing. Next time I will use some anti seize on them.
Has anyone else used the loctite on the splines? seems like over kill to me.
This is my first SxS and plan on doing as much maintenance on it as I can and would like opinions from more experienced members that have done this.

#3 ·
I don't have the Maverick Sport, but I do have the 2019 Maverick X3 RC and I greased the wheel bearings before it had 1 mile on it and I was able to get all 4 tires off, calipers removed, hubs removed and bearings greased with relative ease. I even had my 13 year old do the front after he watched me do the back. Child
Leg Jeans
Auto part Tire Automotive wheel system Automotive tire Machine
Footwear Roller skates Shoe Inline skates Sports equipment
For my model the service manual says to use Loctite 243 (blue) when reinstalling the caliper retaining screw, and I didn't.

#6 ·
When I upgraded my rear outer cv’s the instructions said to use RED loctite instead of blue .......I called Gorilla axles to inquire about that since I didn’t want to use loctite at all ......they said to use the red on the splines and nut to stop any movement and to keep the splines from having any play in the hub .......they were very serious about :).

#7 ·
Well might as well throw some green locktite on there then, why stop at red. In fact, how about mix all three together and put that on there, that way you have all your bases covered. I'm not super old, not 40 yet, but I have done my fair share of DIY stuff, and I have NEVER heard or seen anyone use any sort of locktite on splines. My question to gorilla would be why, is it to cover up their shitty tolerances? Good luck getting that off when you need too. Splines should get lubrication, not glue.

#11 ·
Your exactly correct about poor tolerances. I have used this method but only when there was no options left to keep the hub from moving on the axle. Some aftermarket axles are made of a softer material so it can twist instead of break which in my case Turner axles the splines wore very fast ruining the hubs and differential.

#8 ·
I went with gorilla because the tolerances are superior to Can Am ......larger and fit tighter, and much stronger material

the can am manual says to use blue and gorilla said to use red on their splines ......you say to use lube. Im about to find out if it’s a pain in the ass to remove as it’s time to grease the bearings again ! Obviously I’ll have to use heat and hopefully that’s all

Reactions: mgrotel
#10 ·
I just did a google search on loctite on axle splines...i seems to happen in the big car world a bit says Ferrari, Volvo, Land Rover and Jaguar. Also it is listed for the rear axle on OG Mavs. Just the first page of a google search. Have not verified that beyond a basic search. That is interesting as I have done a few rear ends and pinion gear swaps on big cars and not ever used loctite on splines.

#16 ·
the axle nut has threads.......we weren’t discussing the cv threads or nut threads .......but I definitely use loctite on the threads

the spline are on the cv’s , the long ridges running along the cv shaft and ending at the threads

#17 ·
I had the same problem on my 2019 Mav. sport 1000R rear axles, had to pound the shit out of the first axle and on the other side I heated the axle out by the axle nut with a plumbers torch for about 30 seconds and the axle came out pretty easy.
I did not put any loc tite on axle splines, I put grease on them, put on 1,100 miles so far without any probles with rear axles.
kenner

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.