Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just reading though some of the older posts about wiring, amps, fuses, etc... However, I still wanted to ask for advice on this. I've been running a 40" Totron for 8 mos with no issues. It's tapped into the "plug & play" inside the dash. However yesterday, I added a 20" (single row) Totron on the front bumper. It is also tied into the "plug & play" but on a separate switch.
So, last night while riding, we blew the 15 amp accessory fuse that powers those lights. The 40" and 20" are probably 300watts combined, (300watt/12amp=25amp). I noticed the stock headlights are on a 30amp fuse. So, my question is.... Could I just put a 30amp fuse in the accessory slot instead of the original 15amp for my LEDs? Or, maybe rewire the 20" through the cigarette adapter circuit?
Eventually, as I add more electrical gadgets, I'll probably install one of those blue seas fuse blocks.

Thoughts/ suggestions?

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
yes it needs a bigger fuse start with a 20 or 25

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
You need to be careful when stuffing a bigger fuse in there ,look and see if the wires are heavy enough to carry the load without getting the wire to warm . If you pull to much you can wreck your wiring harness . Why not use the wire as a signal wire for a relay , easier on your bikes wiring

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys. I decided to connect the 20" LED to the cigarette adapter wires. I never use the adapter anyways. We'll see how that works tonight...

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You need to be careful when stuffing a bigger fuse in there ,look and see if the wires are heavy enough to carry the load without getting the wire to warm . If you pull to much you can wreck your wiring harness . Why not use the wire as a signal wire for a relay , easier on your bikes wiring
The wiring harness already has a relay. Is that what you mean?

·
Registered
46 Posts
if you already have these running off a relay, you should just run your "hot wire " to the relay right from the battery. then you can pull "switch" power from the aux behind the dash. that will give you the best results( if you have a winch you can pull (light)relay power right from the "hot wire" on the winch relay)

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if you already have these running off a relay, you should just run your "hot wire " to the relay right from the battery. then you can pull "switch" power from the aux behind the dash. that will give you the best results( if you have a winch you can pull (light)relay power right from the "hot wire" on the winch relay)
Thanks for the tip, but you're a little late to the party. Issue was fixed 2 months ago...

·
Registered
728 Posts
I have very limited knowledge of electrical, but I read on this forum that 285 watts was about the most you should use without adding another battery. It was in threads on light bars.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts