Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
I cant find what I fell is relevant to making the tools yourself. Mega show us what the answer is. Tim
you lazy bastards!!! 9:20 in on the video (please watch it all so I don't have to answer any more questions) shows you the tool in a vice. Basically a piece of angle iron with an allthread rod in it. Then a aluminum spacer (use a pvc fitting and large washer) and a nut for the top.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7R0loc4phTw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
clutch disassembly aint rocket surgery, the real thinking is in what weights, springs, helix to use for your car, style of driving and terrain. That Rocket surgery I leave to the professionals like Superman //Airdam.

·
Premium Member
7,089 Posts
you lazy bastards!!! 9:20 in on the video (please watch it all so I don't have to answer any more questions) shows you the tool in a vice. Basically a piece of angle iron with an allthread rod in it. Then a aluminum spacer (use a pvc fitting and large washer) and a nut for the top.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7R0loc4phTw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I dont know If I should be happy you posted the video or sad because you hurt my feelings...lol.

Thanks for the info!

Tim

Reactions: sand shark

·
Registered
518 Posts
it is rocket science....my dealer cant even do it !

I just talked to them again......turns out they do have the tool even though I was told they don't......they cant get mine to break free and are afraid they will break the tool or my clutch......they broke the last clutch they worked on

I'm going to pick it up and whack it myself

FYI MEGA...….you should have told me to go watch all videos on you tube pertaining to a different model than mine all the way through or at least 9 minutes :)))

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
You need to either purchase the tools to do it your self or get on the ol interweb and find somebody to ship it to. You could have had it back by now. I will add this and then hush. If you cannot disassemble your clutch then you obviously cant tune it so your best option is to send it to a reputable clutching company and let them set it up or you may be going through this again as soon as you get your spring installed.

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts

I just talked to them again......turns out they do have the tool even though I was told they don't......they cant get mine to break free and are afraid they will break the tool or my clutch......they broke the last clutch they worked on

FYI MEGA...….you should have told me to go watch all videos on you tube pertaining to a different model than mine all the way through or at least 9 minutes :)))
in that case, make sure to wipe front to back so you don't end up with a yeast infection. lol

·
Registered
711 Posts

)

so at first they didnt have the tool and have never split one open, then now they do have the tool but broke the last clutch they worked on..... something is fishy here.

so before you tear something up. first thing is first. the bolt that threads into the center of the tool has to push against the head of the puller. not rocket science here.... but a quick glance at it and you can see theres only one way for it to work. if the morons at the dealer threaded the puller all the way in till it bottoms out, then the top bolt wont ever reach the head of the puller before the threads bottom out in the bolt. quick glance, are the threads on the top bolt bottomed out, if yes, morons have been working on it. if no, its just stuck.

first things first. pull the 6 bolts out of the big top hat. thread the puller in a desired amount into the center shaft of the primary. set the top hat puller piece down on top of the puller and make sure the puller seats into the center hub of the top hat piece. if the puller is threaded up too far the top hat wont touch the top of the spyder in the primary so its easy, just spin the top hat and thread the puller further down into the clutch until the top hat is flush with the spyder where it bolts down to.

if you put the top hat on top of the clutch and it insantly bottoms out, then pull it back off and unthread the puller more untill the top hat doesnt sit flush, then spin the top hat in order to thread the puller further down untill everything is flush.

the puller needs to be up as far as possible for the centering bolt that you run down from the top, to push against the top of the puller. you will see this when you get it in front of you.

if you put this together and it still doesnt pop off, dont stress it sometimes they do get stuck. tap the top of the top hat piece with a small hammer. a few love taps and usually they "ping" and pop off. i have never had one not come apart.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I went back down there ......and talked to the guy working on it ......he was afraid to break something , he said he had hundreds of pounds of force on it

I told him to put more force on it until something breaks free........he said it took 805 lbs of force to break it free

The guys at the dealership are all super nice and super helpful .......I know some of them personally , they just haven’t opened any turbo clucthes

He worked on it for 45 min and they charged me $30

·
Registered
518 Posts
I just inspected it ......it was rusted together , rusted/bonded together like cement

·
Registered
518 Posts
You need to either purchase the tools to do it your self or get on the ol interweb and find somebody to ship it to. You could have had it back by now. I will add this and then hush. If you cannot disassemble your clutch then you obviously cant tune it so your best option is to send it to a reputable clutching company and let them set it up or you may be going through this again as soon as you get your spring installed.

I couldn't disassemble it and the dealer couldn't until they until they put over 800 lbs of force on it....if I had purchased the tool I wouldn't have been able to get it off.....it was completely rusted together.... of course you knew that mr know it all.....it wasn't a case of not being able to tune things it was one off case of something stuck......its off now so my humble self will attempt to do the tuning that you claim I cant do...…. I'm going to (with your permission) start pulling it off and cleaning everything every 6 months.....with the brp tool that I'm going to purchase

apparently you wanted me to overnight my clutch to someone since you said I could had it back by now.....it was 48 hours from the time I dropped it off until I picked it back up. Fyi I have 5 other utv's and rail cars, I seem to be able to handle those clutches so hopefully I can put a spring in and google the right direction to tighten a bolt

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I couldn't disassemble it and the dealer couldn't until they until they put over 800 lbs of force on it....if I had purchased the tool I wouldn't have been able to get it off.....it was completely rusted together.... of course you knew that mr know it all.....it wasn't a case of not being able to tune things it was one off case of something stuck......its off now so my humble self will attempt to do the tuning that you claim I cant do...…. I'm going to (with your permission) start pulling it off and cleaning everything every 6 months.....with the brp tool that I'm going to purchase

apparently you wanted me to overnight my clutch to someone since you said I could had it back by now.....it was 48 hours from the time I dropped it off until I picked it back up. Fyi I have 5 other utv's and rail cars, I seem to be able to handle those clutches so hopefully I can put a spring in and google the right direction to tighten a bolt
i have the brp tools if your interested?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Thank you, you have them for sale ? Please pm me with prices

this is my first time having a Maverick clutch apart...….can you guys confirm that the TURBO clutch doesn't have the two springs under the bearing like the non-turbo Mav even though it has the holes for them along with a bearing that has the grooves for them

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts

If you suddenly know so much about this why were you asking so many simple questions? FYI the clutch halves are a taper lock and that's why they are hard to separate but you knew that correct!!

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I have interchanged the bearing from my stock non turbo clutch to the turbo clutch. Same bearing, minus the springs.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
And if you guys are going to have a pissing match, make sure to fill out the proper form and file it with the site admin.

butthurt.jpg

Reactions: Cales and DsrtDog

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
OK I didn't read back far enough to know exactly what tool you guys were referring too, but it reminded me of this clip.
Good watch in general, especially for X3 owners, but he also has a good trick right at time 9:00 with two tire irons to depress the clutch for maintenance.

Enjoy.
Dog

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Thank you, you have them for sale ? Please pm me with prices

this is my first time having a Maverick clutch apart...….can you guys confirm that the TURBO clutch doesn't have the two springs under the bearing like the non-turbo Mav even though it has the holes for them along with a bearing that has the grooves for them
Yes for sale....$150 plus you pay shipping.

20190218_091648.jpg

61 - 80 of 81 Posts