Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got to put a couple trips on my car this season at Glamis now running the OEM belt with Airdam's helix and springs and I was able to squeeze a whopping 227 miles out of my belt. These are fairly tough dune miles but believe me I was doing my best to manage belt temps. Can't say these numbers are any better or worst than last season running Gates belts with stock clutching. Hoping Adam can come up with something better or my nice ride that I love so much is pretty much useless to me

·
Registered
399 Posts
Finally got to put a couple trips on my car this season at Glamis now running the OEM belt with Airdam's helix and springs and I was able to squeeze a whopping 227 miles out of my belt. These are fairly tough dune miles but believe me I was doing my best to manage belt temps. Can't say these numbers are any better or worst than last season running Gates belts with stock clutching. Hoping Adam can come up with something better or my nice ride that I love so much is pretty much useless to me
What setup of Airdams's clutch kit are you running? He has a few different spring setups depending on what you ordered and specified use.

I'm running his kit as well but the desert setup, silver/black springs, I was told by him this is not an ideal Dune setup but since my car is 90% Desert and 10% Dune car I knew there could be issues in the dunes but I'm ok with that and just go easy on the belt.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have pm'd airdam as well as sent him an email with No response. Do any of you have any advice on how to get in contact with him? I am in need of some clutch work as well. Evo stage 4 blowing belts. Any other highly recommended shops do clutch work similar to airdam?

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
I have pm'd airdam as well as sent him an email with No response. Do any of you have any advice on how to get in contact with him? I am in need of some clutch work as well. Evo stage 4 blowing belts. Any other highly recommended shops do clutch work similar to airdam?

Keep trying, different times of the day. His expertise is worth the wait.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I just threw in the silver/primary spring and black/secondary spring with a 35/40 helix from airdam last week. I can't say I'm overly impressed either. While doing technical climbing and trailriding in 4 low I was still smelling all kinds of burning rubber. I did gain back several hundred rpm lost on top with 32" ultra cross tires though.

·
Premium Member
7,089 Posts
Add a temp gauge to monitor your temp. Heat kills.

He has a belt temp gauge. Tim

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
Driving style will do more for belt life than a clutch kit. The 4 seat models are heavy and in the sand they work more to get around.

Knowing how to uses the dunes to keep momentum is important and more so with the 4 seat models.

Joe you should be getting more than 237 miles out of a belt. I ride with plenty of 4 seaters and they all get 1,000 or more miles on their belts in the sand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: rotten.applz

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hard to manage belt temps when the pace of the group is on the faster side. Stepping back off the throttle for a few seconds doesn't do anything but cause my belt temps to sky rocket. If I maintain 3/4 throttle the airflow generated from the clutch will keep me in the 190's granted I'm not climbing any hills.

If I can't ride for 10 hard minutes and keep pace with a 1k RZR what's the point? Adam's pretty good about getting back to me so maybe I'll try 1 more recommendation before I bail on his kits being the answer. If I could somehow get 500 miles out of a belt I'll gladly change it out at that point and give it a proper burial.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Hard to manage belt temps when the pace of the group is on the faster side. Stepping back off the throttle for a few seconds doesn't do anything but cause my belt temps to sky rocket. If I maintain 3/4 throttle the airflow generated from the clutch will keep me in the 190's granted I'm not climbing any hills.

If I can't ride for 10 hard minutes and keep pace with a 1k RZR what's the point? Adam's pretty good about getting back to me so maybe I'll try 1 more recommendation before I bail on his kits being the answer. If I could somehow get 500 miles out of a belt I'll gladly change it out at that point and give it a proper burial.
Joe,
What kit are you using from him, color springs? Are you sure you even ordered his "Dune" kit?

As i mentioned earlier, I'm running his silver/black kit and it was said up front this was not recommended for the dunes as it was designed for the Desert. He has a Dune specific spring that he recommends but I decided NOT to go with that since I drive my car 90% in the desert.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Im no clutch expert by any means but to me having different clutch setups for dune and desert does not make any sense to me. Whenever your driving there is always a load on the vehicle whether it be dunes or desert. The clutch is always working at a high rate of speed so it either grabs the belt or it doesnt it shouldnt matter what type of terrain your in. Adam has even stated before the race teams had to run bigger intake hoses to the clutches to keep blowing belts with his setups. His clutch setup might make a cunt hair of a difference i sure didnt notice any difference. The clutches are going to produce heat we all know that and there is a rubber band in the heart of it. The issue is keeping the belt cool. If you can keep the belt cool it will survive. The faster you can get air in and out of the clutch housing the better

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Is there any company selling upgrading plumbing for the belts air system .
All of the big HP tunes will make more belt heat so more airflow makes sense .

·
Registered
611 Posts
The best solution i have found is to force air into the clutches with a high cfm fan trying to reroute intake tubes on a max is a damn pain in the ass

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can't recall what color springs. Adam was away racing when we spoke last and said he would look up what he sent me upon returning from his trip. When I ordered the clutch I was very clear about my major concern would be duning at Glamis with 9 paddle extremes. I'm not expecting a miracle but I would really be happy making 500 miles with some belt management of course.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts