Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody successfully lifted their seat? I'm thinking I'll get a much better line of sight if I raise my seat about an inch. Anybody try this? Looks pretty straight forward. Couple of 1" blocks under the seat frame mounts.

·
Registered
646 Posts
An interesting item that might help somewhat...

I'm not short (just under 6'), however "reading" the trail on steeper terrain through my Can-Am "half" windshield (more like 1/3) requires me lean forward to see over the compound curvature screen which distorts the perspective. I could quickly remove that but those technical sections usually tend to be relatively short, so I just do what I do. Unsure for me if an add'l inch would be enough to resolve that visibility issue but probably would help.

I've been using a set of 1" Buchanan Precision Machine seat riser blocks on my 2000 Jeep TJ for well over a decade. Not for visibility but for increased leg comfort. Those blocks might also work well for the subject objective, with consideration also of possible encroachment with the bottom edge of the backrest cushion. I still have an extra pair of 1" blocks but doubtful a full set of 4 blocks to test.

·
Registered
2020 Maverick X3 MAX XRS TURBO RR
98 Posts
Is this what you're looking for?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, here's what I'm gonna try. I'm going to take some 1" round stock, cut it in 2" length's, drill and tap both ends 8 x 1.25, screw it on the stud, then bolt the seat to it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nothin'? No feed back? I'm just shy of 5' 11" and find the line of sight terrible. I'll let you know how I make out.

·
Registered
2020 Maverick X3 MAX XRS TURBO RR
98 Posts
You didn't try those seat risers that I linked? Or you're trying to raise both front and back?

·
Registered
646 Posts
^^^ Are you certain that those "X3 seat risers" also work for MavT/MavS variants? My thinking is that the type I linked and the OP plans to fabricate himself are much better suited for safety and stability than the type Bent Metal offers...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure if the X3 's are the same. Plus they don't look like they have much surface area. And, If I remember they were 25 bucks for 2, I need 6. Plus I'm thinking 1" won't be enough. Couple of good ideas, and thank you for that. Has anybody actually tried anything?
FYI, the Mav sport are 8 x 1.25M. I thought about making them out of a solid block of aluminum, but that seemed pretty difficult. If the coupling nuts with studs work, the 1" round stock should be better.

·
Registered
646 Posts
^^^ Agree with your comments and aligned with the picture I posted above which looks suspect in case of an abrupt stop, i.e., collision. I haven't measured side clearances to confirm, however it remains my own thinking that the Buchanan riser blocks would work very well with a set of (8) blocks of your preferred riser height for $50 + shipping. Ordered without otherwise included bolts should more than offset any sales tax with those $$ applied towards metric hardware of appropriate grade and length. Square vs round bar stock also seems the best choice for seat rail support.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It appears with the Buchanan's I would need to extend the studs sticking up out of the frame. There in lies the problem. If there was a nut or threads in the frame, it would be easier than a stud. Just a block and a longer bolt.
The coupling nuts with stud pictured above just don't seem to have a very large mounting surface. That's why I went with the 1" round stock. Probably could have used 1.25". When it gets here, I'll have t let it sit around for 2 days to let the kooties die off, then cut it, drill it and thread it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So, I did in fact use a piece of 1" round stock. Cut 6 pieces about 2" long, drilled and tapped both ends 8 x 1.25M. Bought some 1" bolts and screwed the round stock over the studs. Bolted the seat frame to the spacers with the new bolts. Solid as a rock and much better view out the windshield. Assembled when I got home from work, so I haven't driven it yet.
So far very pleased. I'll let you know if I screwed up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts