Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy All,

Don't really know where to post this question so I thought I would throw it out here. We will be coming down to Arizona again this winter ( December till April ) in the past we have used the La Posa South BLM LTVA a couple of miles south of Quartszite as our main boondocking area but I am getting BORED with that area. I have a very large RV, truck and trailer when hooked up is 70 feet long so I need a decent access road and a large, flat, hard surface area to camp.

I am NOT a dune driver much prefer trail, mine road type driving. With that in mind can anyone suggest BLM areas to camp and drive from in Arizona, southern California, New Mexico, west Texas? Thanks for any information you can share, please PM if you don't want to share with the whole world I completely understand. Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Lots of BLM in AZ, CA and NV, but Remember it's for 14 days, not long term.

Check out Riderplanet website for areas also.

Barbara

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lots of BLM in AZ, CA and NV, but Remember it's for 14 days, not long term.

Check out Riderplanet website for areas also.

Barbara

Howdy Barbara,

I know that other then the LTVA, the time limit on BLM land is 14 days before you have to go to another area, I am good for 14 days before I have to dump tanks and take on fresh water so that is not a problem for me. I have used Riderplanet.

Because of the size of my RV I ask for real world information before venturing into an unknown area, if my setup were smaller I would take a chance just going into a new to me area but I do need close to as the old saying goes "40 acres to turn this rig around"

Dave

·
Premium Member
X3 XRS R Triple Black
1,732 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He'll! Lots of spots in AZ you can stay. as mentioned by BLR most of it's short stays
But you can move from place to place and hit different riding areas

Long-Term Visitor Area (LTVA) - MAP | Bureau of Land Management

Howdy AZ Off Road,

I have been staying at and using the LTVA's for the last three years, I know how this works. I am looking for smaller areas that I can access with my RV. I can't just take a blind chance that a gravel road that I go down won't turn into a sand wash, have a washout or no place to turn around. I know it's a first world problem and MY choice but as I have gotten older for the last 10 years my choice of RV has gotten larger which comes with limitations. That is why I prefer boondocking, stacked 10 feet if you get that far way from the next camper is not the way I roll.

Dave

·
Premium Member
X3 XRS R Triple Black
1,732 Posts
Try the Parker area about 7 miles in off the 95 on Shea rd

Further in on mineral wash road lots of spots

Bouse also has some good spots south of town on Plomosa rd by county park or down by the 95

Earp Ca has several camping area by Big River

Just outside of Havasu by Sara park you’re probably going to find some decent spots

South on the 95 by the rock and gravel plant is Standard Wash camping area

Further south all most to the Bill Williams bridge you'll find a teared off area that lost of folks camp at

Contact the BLM office in Havasu and get a map

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Bouse also has some good spots south of town on Plomosa rd by county park or down by the 95

Just outside of Havasu by Sara park you’re probably going to find some decent spots

Further south all most to the Bill Williams bridge you'll find a teared off area that lost of folks camp at

Howdy AZ Off Road,

THANK YOU. My first time to Arizona, I spent a week off of Plomosa Rd with people who knew the area good times were had.

Dave

·
Registered
2020 X3 XRS Turbo RR
311 Posts
Now that's an RV. NAZ likes!

If you make it to Northern Arizona, consider Cinder Hills.

·
Premium Member
X3 XRS R Triple Black
1,732 Posts
That’s true was just up there for Labor Day and several rigs his size up there

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
We're 65' and we find alot of areas..
Google is your friend for looking overhead.
Parker, LK Havasu, Kingman, Bouse, Ocotillo wells, Goldfield NV, Needles CA, are just a few

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now that's an RV. NAZ likes!

If you make it to Northern Arizona, consider Cinder Hills.
Howdy NAZ,

I know some folks who live just outside of Golden Valley, is Cinder Hills somewhat close to Golden Valley, is it BLM land?

Dave

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We're 65' and we find alot of areas..
Google is your friend for looking overhead.
Parker, LK Havasu, Kingman, Bouse, Ocotillo wells, Goldfield NV, Needles CA, are just a few

Howdy BLR,

I use google earth a lot to recon possible parking areas, over night at Walmart or on BLM land or off of forest service roads for extended stays but have to have a general area in mind to do a preliminary search, thanks for the suggestions.

Dave

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Howdy BLR,

I use google earth a lot to recon possible parking areas, over night at Walmart or on BLM land or off of forest service roads for extended stays but have to have a general area in mind to do a preliminary search, thanks for the suggestions.

Dave
Have you tried Riderplanet???

Barbara

·
Registered
2020 X3 XRS Turbo RR
311 Posts
Howdy NAZ,

I know some folks who live just outside of Golden Valley, is Cinder Hills somewhat close to Golden Valley, is it BLM land?

Dave
Dave, Cinder Hills OHV Area is just north of Flagstaff up in the cool pines. It's located in a large volcanic field and has miles of cinder sand trails and hills to climb. It's on USFS land and set aside for off-road vehicle use. The forest roads into and out of the area are passable with 2WD except in winter. I live right across Hwy 89 from the play area. The terrain is unique and much cooler than the Valley in summer. AZOP holds off-road races there with the next one in a couple of weeks.

Check out the videos to get an idea of the terrain: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=azop+cinder+mountain+hare+scramble

·
Premium Member
8,253 Posts

I was going to suggest Shea Rd. There are many places he can fit his rig in safely and not risk getting stuck.

Lots of riding all through there. Access to the desert bar etc.

Tim

·
Registered
35 Posts
Howdy Barbara,

I know that other then the LTVA, the time limit on BLM land is 14 days before you have to go to another area, I am good for 14 days before I have to dump tanks and take on fresh water so that is not a problem for me. I have used Riderplanet.

Because of the size of my RV I ask for real world information before venturing into an unknown area, if my setup were smaller I would take a chance just going into a new to me area but I do need close to as the old saying goes "40 acres to turn this rig around"

Dave
That’s one hell of a set up 👌🏼 My favorite is the smart car!

·
Premium Member
X3 XRS R Triple Black
1,732 Posts
The bad news is the Goat Man's Bar has been removed

But The Desert Bar is still going strong reopening this weekend

Plant community Ecoregion Sky Mountain Bedrock
Plant Sky Mountain Land lot Highland

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Barbara

Barbara

Howdy Barbara,

Yes I have used Riderplanet, it is helpful at times.

Dave

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dave, Cinder Hills OHV Area is just north of Flagstaff up in the cool pines. It's located in a large volcanic field and has miles of cinder sand trails and hills to climb. It's on USFS land and set aside for off-road vehicle use. The forest roads into and out of the area are passable with 2WD except in winter. I live right across Hwy 89 from the play area. The terrain is unique and much cooler than the Valley in summer. AZOP holds off-road races there with the next one in a couple of weeks.

Check out the videos to get an idea of the terrain: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=azop+cinder+mountain+hare+scramble
Howdy NAZ,

Thanks for the information, I have heard about the Flagstaff area but have never spent any time there, have driven through on my way to someplace else usually just knocking down miles, I need to check it out if I am ever there during the warmer months, I am "assuming" it's NOT a good place to go in the colder months.

Dave

1 - 20 of 23 Posts