Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Update for today. I spent some time reinforcing the c pillar brackets.

I am about half way done burning in the b pillars. Some of my notching was not as close as I would have liked it to be so I had to make filler pieces. Once ground down no one will be the wiser. However it just takes me longer...

I am not a professional fabricator but I am learning, adapting and overcoming. I am taking my time and making sure it's done right.

I did get the bottom bar for the windshield intrusion bar in as well.

I am pretty happy with my driverside c pillar mount. I will have to think about my passenger side.

Some days everything goes your way and some days it's just a fight. Today was the latter.

However, I did make forward progress. And that's what counts.

What did you all get accomplished on your projects today? Drop a link to your thread if you have one, otherwise just drop a comment.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
It looks like the intrusion bar is touching the body, but it's not. I can fit a finger between the plastics and the bottom of the bar.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Hello again!

Hope you all are well, healthy sane and able to reason.

I have been out in the "shop" the past two evenings grinding, cutting and welding away. I am finally happy with both c pillar mounts. I would rather take my time and have something I am happy with than to just rush it. The driver's side has 3/16" box with a 1/8" plate on the outside edge as a fish plate.

The passenger side has 3/16" plate and 1/8" plate on one side and two 1/8" plate on the other side of the mount. They are all perimiter welded and plug welded. The flux residue makes it look worse than it is.

I am almost ready to finish the intrusion bar and add harness bars. This is just about the finished product on the passenger side. The driver's side has been done and pics are above.

I am contemplating adding intrusion bars in the back as well.

The square tube that I welded around will be getting a sleeve for the entire length as well.

It's not yet pretty but will be soon. It is however solid and strong.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Keep rolling on . Your doing a bit of work on yourbuggy and I started to give some love to
my 10 year old trailer that hauls my buggy . I need to do some work to 3 of my units but trailer first

Maybe my winter will bugger off and the snow plow can be put away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Keep rolling on . Your doing a bit of work on yourbuggy and I started to give some love to
my 10 year old trailer that hauls my buggy . I need to do some work to 3 of my units but trailer first

Maybe my winter will bugger off and the snow plow can be put away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's a nice set up you have there! Thank you for taking the time to share!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
So today's plan is since my c pillars are done for the most part l, I will put the rear fenders back on. They will have to be modified to fit the extended cage obviously. I am interested to see how it turns out. Hope to have some pics of the fenders mounted this weekend.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
More work done for this afternoon. I may or may not have rolled once at the dunes trying to show up at me sport quads. That is why the rear light bars are tweaked at little.

I will make the tweaks to make them sit level with each other during final fit up, but over all, I am very happy with the change. The c pillar coming back is subtle but it looks so much sleeker.

1. 254260

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I spent quite a bit of time on the max today. I added the harness bars for front and rear as well as intrusion bars for the front. I am debating if I will do any more cage reinforcements.

Also check out my new roof....I went a bit unconventional.... Jk.

I was using the luan as a template.

1. 254323
Now I need to final burn everything in, and depending on of I will add anything else depends how soon it is ready for paint.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Cheers! Hope you all are doing well. I spent more time burning things in today. It was frustrating, my welder kept tripping the fuse. What a pain. I have also burned through wire like crazy, I've used about 3lbs on what you see here. I guess ill have to buy a 10lb roll next.

No pictures to update because it still looks the same. I am still unsure if I will add a center bar through the middle of the roof.

I am leaning towards doing 1/8" aluminium for the roof and a half windshield.

My wife was out today and she said it doesn't look like a fun machine anymore. I asked her what she meant and she said it doesn't look like it wants to do liesurly rides in the country...now it looks like it's ready for war! I think she is getting the picture lol.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Also o ordered 4 point harnesses yesterday and 2" wheel spacers, so those will be nice to get in.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I received the 4pt harnesses today. I went to go see about installing them. I mean who in the world designed this. I literally had to pull out the floor to get to the seat belt bolts and not one single nut is captive. There is one that is just about impossible to get a wrench on. Then whoever deigned the flimsy piece of shit seat belt/b pillar roll cage mount is a flippin moron. So I had to cut out a bracket and reinforce the disgrace. Aaaaand then I ran out of welding wire. So tonight was full of me being pissed off at stupid can am engineers.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Steel toes nice doing great job

Alright, gents and ladies. I did do some work through out the week, although if I am honest most of it was just looking at it. I'll just open the garage door and stare at it, my wife just rolls her eyes...she's just jealous. I had a Duramax when we got married, she named it the mistress....lol

So I still haven't gotten my 2" DOM yet. I did start making the c pillar bracket out of 3/16 3x3 square tube. I should have both finished today

BTW I highly suggest a vice when you are cutting pieces like this. Ask me how I know.

View attachment 253861 View attachment 253862

·
Registered
644 Posts
In order of your plan of addressing the projects on you Can Am you had suspension @#3 on your list

I only suggest it because years ago my old race car in Baja was a single seat unlimited suspension ( all of 12inch travel ) but powered by a 1200 cc VW about 40hp, the class I was in had strict rules of engine modifications and started behind the unlimited class so I would catch up to the back of the pack and be able to stay with them in the rough but not on the dry lakes or deep wash’s

Anyway keep up the great work it looks great

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Impressive rig and setup. Keep the updates coming.
Thank you for the words of encouragement. I appreciate it!

As for an update....I purchased more welding wire over the weekend. I have also installed the front wheel spacers...even on the factory bighorns...it looks much better.

This past weekend and this week are dedicated to garden prep so not any real work has been done on the mav. I am also shopping for a companion to tow the mav as well and research for that is time consuming.

I will probably be able to get some more done next week on it. Pictures will be returning. The cage is almost ready for paint.

White or silver, that is the question.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I see, that's alright. Take all the time you need and stay safe.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I have been busy gardening and shopping for a big purchase...still no purchase yet. I spent some time on the mav today doing some more welding. I will be knocking it out more little by little. Hopefully more this week. I burned in the seatbelt bracket i made for the driver's side and just about finished welding up the Grand canyon gaps on the b pillar (driver's side) I used 1/8th stick welder rods with the slag knocked off. With some slight shaping they will work out.

The bracket for the seat belt is 1/8th plate and it has four plug welds and is stitch welded every where I could fit the gun.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts