Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! This is my first post here if memory serves correctly. I have been a long time lurker. Because of you all I ordered my Max brand new back in 2016. It has been left stock all that time.

I finally have a garage and now am set up to work on making mav custom to me!

This build is going to be slow and steady.

Stage one is safety
1. Cage chop and reinforcement
2. Proper harnesses
3. Doors
4. Rock sliders
5. Lighting
6. Recovery equipment.

Stage two is power
I will be doing custom exhaust and a tune, intake and injectors from MRRPM. I may or may not go with cams and a bigger turbo.

Stage 3 is suspension, wheels and tires.

Right now, I am in the middle of the cage chop. I took about 6 inches out of the c pillar and moved the c pillar back about 3-4inches.

I will work on posting photos. I have more work to do tomorrow on it. I have 40 feet of 2" DOM ordered for extra bracing coming next week to finish it up.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I was researching cage chopping, expecially on the max, it was hard to find clear information on it. There was a user on here that had an xds with a blue cage and I started by his example. Chopped the b pillar first, then chopped the c pillars. From there I went off on my own accord.

I would like to make a few things known that I couldn't find solid answers to for any one else considering this.

Can Am makes very strong, quality cages from the factory. After cutting this one up, I can attest to that.

It is 2" depending on where you measure it is .065 to 1.05 wall CREW OR HREW (cold or hot rolled electrical welded) it is not as strong as DOM but still very strong.

As a side note, i measured the 1.75 DOM and it also was not a consistent .095 wall. So I would say the factory cage is around .083 wall average

I will be adding intrusion bars in the front and rear, harness bars and more roof cross bars out of 2" DOM .095 wall. I could have gone with HREW but the cost was only $20ish more for the DOM, plus it's around 35 percent stronger based on my research at pirate. It also was a one week lead time vs two.

For internal sleeving where I made the chops, I plug welded top and bottom and am using 4-6" sections of 1.75 OD .095 DOM.

Here are more pictures, because what's a build thread without pics.

When I a moving the c pillar mount back I will build the new mount with 3x3" 3/16th wall square tubing. It will be stronger than factory.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My project for tomorrow is to deal with the passenger side and then figure out what angle I want to make the b pillars and then after I have that figured I will burn in the c pillars at my splices.

That's all for today.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Nice!

Reactions: Blitzin247

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! Before jumping into this I had to do alot of thinking and soul searching if I wanted to keep this platform or step up to the new x3. I decided that this is almost paid for and I personally like the looks a bit better that I would stick with this. Glad you like the start of it.

I put in another six hours or so yesterday and got the c pillars welded up. It is time consuming getting it just the way I want it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright guys. Progress has been slow. But I figured I would post up a status update. I just about have the c pillars welded completely. Just need to do some grinding.

I am welding with flux core, and it's been a while so my welding isn't pretty, but it's getting better already. On the c pillars a grinder and paint will have to work. Note that it is sleved with 1.75 .095 Dom at each connection and each side of the sleeve is spot welded, even ground smooth with minimal bead exposed, it will still be way stronger than it was before. Also I had good penetration on my lap welds connecting the sleeves and pipes. I took multiple passes of needed.

Also I chopped off about 3/4" of the c pillar mounting plate to get the cage as low as I am wanting. (The rear seats will be getting lowered as much as I can...and quick release as well). I am still figuring whY I will do for permanent mounting of the c pillar. That will probably be done before the weekend.

I also chopped off the b pillar so I can sleave that and get the notches just right. I may use a single 2" Dom to finish the b pillar off as I find the fork in the b pillar in attractive, however it is stronger....I'll have to ponder on it some more.

This will be the final cage height. So far I am VERY pleased. Pictures don't do it justice. It looks like a sand car cage now.
  1. 253706

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Let me know what you guys think about the b pillar. Should I do the 2" single DOM, or trim up the factory crow foot and make that work??

·
Registered
329 Posts
I think it's awesome looking, much better than stock.
I think most on this forum are all about the X3's, but I'm following your progress!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think it's awesome looking, much better than stock.
I think most on this forum are all about the X3's, but I'm following your progress!!!
I have noticed that most everything is geared toward x3 worship. I understand, they are great machines.

Thanks for the support, I have big things planned. Custom doors, custom storage solutions, i may even do some custom suspension work. It's just metal, right??? Lol ;)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright, gents and ladies. I did do some work through out the week, although if I am honest most of it was just looking at it. I'll just open the garage door and stare at it, my wife just rolls her eyes...she's just jealous. I had a Duramax when we got married, she named it the mistress....lol

So I still haven't gotten my 2" DOM yet. I did start making the c pillar bracket out of 3/16 3x3 square tube. I should have both finished today

BTW I highly suggest a vice when you are cutting pieces like this. Ask me how I know.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I know I said I would do work over the week....yeah that didn't happen.

I have the driver's side c pillar bracket mostly done. (Pictures of that above). I will likely do some more reinforcement on that by way of fish playing.

The passenger side c pillar bracket is about 3/4 done. I must admit these have been slow going. The brackets are at weird angles as it's all custom so they both have to be custom pieces and you have to be able to have enough clearance to take the cage on and off.

Once these are done they can be reinforced with fish plating. I will than do the b pillars. I have decided to use the factory piece and trim to fit. After that is done I will weld in the c pillar mounts to the frame.

Hopefully the tube will be in sometime this week and I will be able to get on to that.

Even though it's been slow...frustratingly slow, forward progress has been made.

I should really work on it in the week.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok guys...thanks for the support! I have already heard from several of you in DM'S and other posts as well as seeing your interaction and likes. I enjoy the interaction so if you like something or have suggestions, please take the time to say something. This thread is a way for me to meet all of you, I see that quite a few of you are going through, so thanks for the support.

Please feel free to add your thoughts.

Today I spent about an hour out in the "shop" it's a garage but shop sounds better. I was not happy with the brackets so I did some more welding on them and came up with ideas of what I will do for extra bracing. I have come up with a design I will be comfortable with. After all a cage is your first line of defense in a roll over it must be SAFE.

I also heard back from my supplier that my tubing is coming in this week so that's good news!

My plan is to have the c pillar brackets finished by the weekend. Then I need to address the b pillar....not looking forward to all those weird angles and two on each pillar. That will probably be this weekend's project.

This will be getting a custom roof as well. This is where I will appreciate your feedback.

Steel?
Aluminum?
Hmmw...whatever that stuff is

What do you think and how thick?

Thanks for your feedback!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, two weeknights in a row I was able to work up the energy to get in the "shop."

I was tired of working on the c pillar brackets so I started to work on the b pillar. I did alot of thinking, hacking and grinding....the driver's side is pretty close to being done. The longer one is the almost original length.

View attachment 253936 View attachment 253937

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry I guess I forgot to post last night's account. It was here's waiting for me to post.

So now is three weeknights in a row woot woot! You guys with families know that's an accomplishment!

So tonight I finished the other b pillar mount. Now they just need a bit of touch up and to be welded in.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So what do you all think? Do you like the factory cut down better. I think it looks pretty good, curious to hear your thoughts.

Also I have had no input on the roofing material, don't leave me hanging people!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
chirp chirp it's quiet in here guys.

Yesterday i did not get anything done. Today I went and grabbed the tubing. This weekend should be quite a bit accomplished. Hopefully it is paintable by next weekend! :)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts