Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready for my first trip to the Blackhills National Forest and wondering about how strict the rangers are about the vehicle width? I have a Maverick X3 that's 64" wide. Shortly after I bought it I exchanged the factory wheels and tires for a set of KTI 6+1 beadlocks. Nice set of 32" Grim Reapers are mounted but now I'm over 62" wide. Too wide for most of the trails it seems.
Anyone have any experience riding in the Blackhills?

·
Registered
334 Posts
You will be fine, just be respectful and stay off the centennial trail (50in). The trails are muddy right now just a heads up, FS hates to see ppl ripping up the trails so tread lightly when you can. I have never had problems and I really dont understand why they have most of them limited anyways. There is 6 new officers out there somewhere but I have only seen them by Custer and he didnt care at all about me (Didnt have my trail permit sticker even on my car). If they really don't want you down a trail you will know.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Abs151,
Thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure and didn't want to get my hopes up. Do they have measuring gates to limit width? I was watching some YouTube videos and it looks like there are measuring gates. If so, will I make it through?

·
Registered
334 Posts
You will make it thru most of them (green ones) as I fit. On 89 they have post in the ground to make sure you cant get in there if you are over; on one side of it anyways. That is rare though, I can only think of a handful of areas like that. The green gates/passes are way more common and you wont have problems if you line it up right.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have heard there is a group of ppl pushing to fix the trail system as it is kinda messed up if you dont know where to go. On that note I really hope they just make them utv/atv/bike friendly and get rid of that 62 limit. I think that is most of it as they just want to keep the full size truck/cars off them. I would be really upset at them if they messed with me for being out there on mine. I dont think they want to turn down the $$$ though either that they get from people coming to ride.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have heard there is a group of ppl pushing to fix the trail system as it is kinda messed up if you dont know where to go. On that note I really hope they just make them utv/atv/bike friendly and get rid of that 62 limit. I think that is most of it as they just want to keep the full size truck/cars off them. I would be really upset at them if they messed with me for being out there on mine. I dont think they want to turn down the $$$ though either that they get from people coming to ride.
Ok, thanks again. I really appreciate your information.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts