Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanting to plan a trip to the black hills to ride but I have a 72" wide XRC. Can someone that is familiar with the area help me with trail options? It seems 62" is the limit. I just want to know if its a waste of time to go and I dont want to limit myself to just "dirt roads". Thanks

·
Registered
375 Posts
I know that you didnt ask about the 62" trails but, rumor is that rule is going to be getting pushed pretty hard out there next year. there are enough thats legal for the 72"+ still but most of the fun/challenging stuff is the narrower stuff. they had a lot of trouble out there this year with the 62" trails and people riding them with the 64" machines and with more people trying to find something to do outside, came more trouble with visitors/riders. loud exhausts, big tires, going around gates that were 62" gates, etc. so they have stated that they will be enforcing it harder next year. True or not, only the forest service can say for sure what they will do. I, personally, will not be chancing it any more after numerous people have stated this on the facebook pages over the summer. like you said and suspected, most of the 82"+ is gravel road for the trucks and suvs which is quite boring. heck, a lot of the is really out there... it is a cool place to ride but you still have a lot of gravel to get to the 62" trails anyway.

you wont be making it to the nemo flag and other places like that but you could go to custer peak, that is a main car road now and is ostly gravel if you come from the blacktop on the east side.

check out the FAVORITE 82″ DRIVES and look at the rides on there. it is a helpful site for planning some trips. also get a temporary plate if you do not live in SD and have it plated already. it is the best way to get around, since you can drive on the 55mph limit roads with it plated.

i have been out there twice, rode a lot of the northern half of the black hills trails now, that make loops anyway. started in cheyenne crossing once and started south of dead wood in galena area (coles cabins) the other time. nemo is south of galena, the big rock crawler trails are east and north of galena a bit. i have 800+ miles on around the northern half from the wyoming border on the west side to the hills border to the east, down to rochford to the south side. that is as far south as i have been. we talked about heading toward custer or hill city if we go out there again but dont think i will be heading that way soon unless they change the ruling for the 62" vs 64/65" limit.

download the offroad specific maps from the forest service, as they will have the different types of trails color coded for easier looking to see if you feel it is worth it to make the trip. SD has some beautiful scenery, lots of trails be it gravel dirt or blacktop accessibility, and has lots of things to do for attractions to take a day or two off to explore in the car.

steve

Reactions: BRETT

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know that you didnt ask about the 62" trails but, rumor is that rule is going to be getting pushed pretty hard out there next year. there are enough thats legal for the 72"+ still but most of the fun/challenging stuff is the narrower stuff. they had a lot of trouble out there this year with the 62" trails and people riding them with the 64" machines and with more people trying to find something to do outside, came more trouble with visitors/riders. loud exhausts, big tires, going around gates that were 62" gates, etc. so they have stated that they will be enforcing it harder next year. True or not, only the forest service can say for sure what they will do. I, personally, will not be chancing it any more after numerous people have stated this on the facebook pages over the summer. like you said and suspected, most of the 82"+ is gravel road for the trucks and suvs which is quite boring. heck, a lot of the is really out there... it is a cool place to ride but you still have a lot of gravel to get to the 62" trails anyway.

you wont be making it to the nemo flag and other places like that but you could go to custer peak, that is a main car road now and is ostly gravel if you come from the blacktop on the east side.

check out the FAVORITE 82″ DRIVES and look at the rides on there. it is a helpful site for planning some trips. also get a temporary plate if you do not live in SD and have it plated already. it is the best way to get around, since you can drive on the 55mph limit roads with it plated.

i have been out there twice, rode a lot of the northern half of the black hills trails now, that make loops anyway. started in cheyenne crossing once and started south of dead wood in galena area (coles cabins) the other time. nemo is south of galena, the big rock crawler trails are east and north of galena a bit. i have 800+ miles on around the northern half from the wyoming border on the west side to the hills border to the east, down to rochford to the south side. that is as far south as i have been. we talked about heading toward custer or hill city if we go out there again but dont think i will be heading that way soon unless they change the ruling for the 62" vs 64/65" limit.

download the offroad specific maps from the forest service, as they will have the different types of trails color coded for easier looking to see if you feel it is worth it to make the trip. SD has some beautiful scenery, lots of trails be it gravel dirt or blacktop accessibility, and has lots of things to do for attractions to take a day or two off to explore in the car.

steve

I'm plated in SD so that's good. I appreciate the informative post! thanks!

·
Registered
375 Posts
thats good then, that will make it easier for riding. temp plates are easy enough to get too which is helpful.

steve

Reactions: BRETT
1 - 4 of 4 Posts