Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am picking up my Mav on Saturday and have been reading this forum for a little while now. I know the Commander black box won't work with the mav but does anybody else offer something like this for the mav yet? Also, is the 76ish top speed limited by a governor or is it rev-limited? Already looking to make a mav hit that magic 80 mph mark lol.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am picking up my Mav on Saturday and have been reading this forum for a little while now. I know the Commander black box won't work with the mav but does anybody else offer something like this for the mav yet? Also, is the 76ish top speed limited by a governor or is it rev-limited? Already looking to make a mav hit that magic 80 mph mark lol.
Benchmark Performance will have an ECU flash out for it soon. We're working hard on getting it dialed in.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
I hope the Maverick ECU was easier to crack than the Commander.....

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I hope the Maverick ECU was easier to crack than the Commander.....

prolly the same , hes just gotta get the mapping down to hold perfect a/f to max power thru rpm range- prolly !

·
Registered
528 Posts
Adding a "black Box" or "Gizmo" is very different (and much easier) than reprogramming the ECU... I have been listening to this "program the ECU" for over 3 years now...I have to say nobody I know has really cracked a BRP ecu that has really made any performance gains..if they say they have, I for one don't believe it and two would like to see the proof. Adding the Gizmo takes 10 seconds (once the Gizmo is programed with your VIN by BRP) and so getting one has become pretty difficult since BRP cut off Adam at Airdam Clutches unless you are a BRP authorized racer. BTW, a black box doesn't add any performance.. is just removes the Shaft saver function, speed limiter...and reduces a number of the safety factors built into the BRP programing like allowing the vehicle to run outside of the standard BRP parameters before sending into Limp Mode, and a few other things which I have provided more detail in the past on the Commander forums. The BRP program for the Maverick is more more performance oriented than the Commanders...but many have tried to crack that code...but its pretty evasive, even for the very best...I know some are getting closer but BRP is holding tight reigns on the code.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I have driven the same Maverick (mine) before and immediately after a "black box or Gizmo" was installed by BRP Racing.... it had the same top speed (76 mph)... yes the BB/Gizmo removes the speed limiter (amongst other things) but our Maverick wasn't any faster with it...it seem that's where the Mavericks natural top speed was going to be anyway.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
so we can t go over 76 mph . i want to see 80 83 it has to be a way .please let me now .thanks
a new qsc/stm clutch or stm/stm clutch u should see 80+

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
QSC is a brand of aftermarket primary clutch and STM is a brand of both primary & secondary clutches.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Reactions: boovan

·
Registered
528 Posts
Our Mav...with its performance Mods (UMP Filter, Throttle body, Muzzy exhaust and STM primary and secondary) is now doing North of 80mph... Thats where the BRP Black Box does it's job

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
How much north of 80mph? Some members claim 80 mph with just the QSC/STM clutch setup.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Our Mav...with its performance Mods (UMP Filter, Throttle body, Muzzy exhaust and STM primary and secondary) is now doing North of 80mph... Thats where the BRP Black Box does it's job
I would like to know how much, if any improvement did the bigger TB add?

·
Registered
528 Posts
We are seeing 83 on pavement indicated on the GPS, but remember our Mav is heavy compared to a stock Mav by 300+ lbs because of our full cage, spares, tools 16 gal fuel tank etc...We run GBC 15x28 Mongrels and a Outlander transmission (geared higher) now that we have made another change to the intake (larger UMP filter) we are thinking another 1-2 mph on top. The larger TB (48mm) seems to gives more out of the hole and a more linear HP increase across the power-band (as tested on the dyno)

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Thanks

1 - 20 of 30 Posts