Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So if you were looking to go to 14" rims, does this mean you are automatically 2 inches higher? I would assume so, and with the bigger rims that's going to increase top speed and take away on the bottom end power? So for general trails that are a mix of just about everything including mud, what rim, tire, size, front and back width of the tire, and do any of the vendors give a smoking deal? If you go to 14's do you need to change your clutch?

Is there a big difference in 6 to 8 ply tires? What to get and where? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
no, bigger rims don't mean taller , that's the tire dept, but bigger wheels will add lil more drag , but if u stick with a 26-27'' tire u should be fine,

8 ply tire would be better of course ,

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no, bigger rims don't mean taller , that's the tire dept, but bigger wheels will add lil more drag , but if u stick with a 26-27'' tire u should be fine,

8 ply tire would be better of course ,
I mean going from the stock 12 inch to 14 inch rims. That doesn't mean the rim is 2 inches taller? =) I am sorry if that is a dumb question.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
The rim is 2 inches taller but would only raise the height of the machine 1 inch if no tire is considered since 14 is the diameter but as Benzo said its the tire that will truly determine height of the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Another point to consider is that tire size affects speedometer calibration meaning you change tire size different than factory size and your speedometer will not read accurately. I did this on a Camaro I once owned. I got a ticket because I thought I was driving 65 but actually was driving 70. Went to a speedo calibration shop thinking my speedo was bad and found out it was my tire size.

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
Bigger wheels/tires always adds more strain on a drive system. Plan on wearing stuff out quick

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
If you only changed to a 14" rim but the tire stayed the same 27", there would be no change in height. So what ever increase you do to the tire height your height will change by half that amount. Because the increased size is diameter and the tire rotates from the center. Also 8 ply rears will be stronger but heavier than a 6 ply. If you want run 8 plys maybe change to a front tire in the rear to keep the rotating mass down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts