Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I searched and couldn't find exactly what I got going on. Parked the car after Thanksgiving to send clutches out to kwi for float mod and decided to get the kwi X tapp clutch. Clutches arrived last week and installed With new belt from gboost. Car was parked outside in the cold but started up . When for a drive to break in the belt and see how the clutch felt. Ran good until about 8k rpms. She started to misfire. No check engine but definitely misfiring. Felt the car tugging a bit. Brought it home and saw that the battery had dropped to 11 volts without the car on. Figured maybe the cold had killed the battery since it sat for almost 2 months in the cold and it was the original battery from 2018. Went for another drive a few days later and kept on eye of the volts while running showed 13+ while riding. Punched the throttle and started to misfire around 8k rpm again. This time when I let off it threw a code. Cyl 1 misfire and it cut my power real quick. Brought it home and decided to try new spark plugs from the dealer and new battery from autozone. Gapped the new plugs at the same .018 that I had the previous plugs gapped at per evo request. Took her out again today and still misfiring at 8k rpm or above. Looked at a log file and couldn't see anything outstanding and sent it to evo to look it over. Nothing realy stands out and voltage is mid 13s with a couple dips into the low 12s throughout run. I'm pulling my hair as to what it could be 😵‍💫🤬 anyone have similar issues? I started thinking to my self that maybe it was the rev limiter hitting but if I'm correct evo raises the limiter to 8600 or 8900 on the big turbo tunes, so pretty sure it's not that since it doesn't go above 8300. Hellpppppp 😭

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I cleared the code after i changed everything. Ran it with no accessories except headlights, afr gauge and belt temp gauge. Only misfires after 8k rpms but for the life of me I can't get a check engine light to atleast know which cylinder is misfiring now. Hit about 80mph everytime trying to get it to come on but kept running out of road/dirt.

·
Premium Member
6,983 Posts
I cleared the code after i changed everything. Ran it with no accessories except headlights, afr gauge and belt temp gauge. Only misfires after 8k rpms but for the life of me I can't get a check engine light to atleast know which cylinder is misfiring now. Hit about 80mph everytime trying to get it to come on but kept running out of road/dirt.
And they say the rev limiter is ok?
I wonder if it has anything to do with a lifter.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
What did the AFR show when it misfired? Did it go rich?? How does the car idle?

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
? Old fuel

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
When looking closely at your post, after clearing the #1 misfire code and it not coming back, I would agree the first place to start would be fuel related. After sitting that long that may very well be all it is.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Would a partially slipping belt at high rpm cause it from slipping momentarily? Belt is new it’s a trinity/gboost worlds best belt. Just throwing things out there. Someone mentioned to check my fuel line from pump to sending unit to make sure it hadn’t developed a crack or small hole and loosing pressure or flow. But having a hard time with it just being above 8k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Afr is showing around 8.8 -8.9 on the wide band. Shows that low due to it being ethanol and not regular fuel.

Your rich ! On my big turbo 30 psi e85 Waylon tuned setup. Whalen said I should see between 11.8 to 12.2 when I was dealing with the same sounding problem , when I would see afr’s in the low 10’s I would get misfires.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Your rich ! On my big turbo 30 psi e85 Waylon tuned setup. Whalen said I should see between 11.8 to 12.2 when I was dealing with the same sounding problem , when I would see afr’s in the low 10’s I would get misfires.
Was ur wideband setup to read ethanol ? Mine is setup to read unleaded fuel. If I switch it to lambda I’m sure it’ll read correctly. Under this scale it gives you a reference of conversions that I’ve gone off to ensure mine was within specs, what did you find was your fix when you had ur issues?

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
I’m using a wideband for the Power Vision for unleaded fuel. When I switch to my pump gas tune I don’t change anything as far as the wideband goes just the tune is leaner for gas.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
The average voltage while running should show 13.7-14.2 volts. If you are in the mid-13’s that’s not really danger territory. All of the electronics in the car are designed to run on voltage as low as 9V. Lower than that and things get a little sporty.

Just a thought here, when monitoring your boost, do you notice any fluctuation towards the higher end of boost? My thought here is a boost solenoid or wastegate actuator acting up causing the feel of a misfire but not spark related. The ECU is pretty aggressive about boost when the numbers aren’t right in line with fuel mapping. It tends to start limiting things very quickly and could potentially feel like a misfire.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts