Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

21 - 40 of 464 Posts

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
On the topic of scrub radius it its such a big deal I find it interesting that almost all of the desert racers are running 3.5+3.5 or 4+3 offset wheels. Very few running 5+2 or 6+1 offset.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks that is more in my limited price range. Very hard to find a 15" wheel with enough backspacing.

For giggles I did some dirty measuring on the garage floor to see what the scrub radius looks like. The outer lines are the edges of where the tire would be (no load). The line that says 30 is where the stock scrub radius is, about .5" or so of positive SR. The next line is where it would be with a 32 on the stock wheel, pretty much dead nuts zero scrub radius. The last line is about where the SR would be with a 32 on a 5+2 wheel, about .5" negative. Of course this is all no load static and the actual point moves around as the suspension cycles and the tires flex. I think in this machine that .5" is pretty good. I wouldn't use a wider wheel than that.
Mr. Zambo, is this an RS or DS? Would it make a difference? What is the offset on the stock wheels? (good info BT)

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
On the topic of scrub radius it its such a big deal I find it interesting that almost all of the desert racers are running 3.5+3.5 or 4+3 offset wheels. Very few running 5+2 or 6+1 offset.
Good point Sandman. Interesting is a word that certainly describes desert racing and the decisions made by desert racers.

I will say a couple things on the subject. First, not all desert racers are experts on suspension geometry (and neither am I). But I do know plenty of car designers and builders who ARE experts and they definitely build their cars to minimize scrub radius (and all the other correct geometry). First they start with the tire and wheel they plan on running and build around that. What we are doing here is taking a stock car and changing the geometry by putting on different wheels and tires.

Second, in the sxs world it seems to me that until now guys were trying to find ways to widen their generally narrow stock vehicles in order to give it more lateral stability and suspension travel. I think with the x3rs neither of those things matters.

Third, a race car is beefier than a stock utv. Bigger and stronger tie rods, bearings, ball joints, pivot points and bushings, brakes, steering racks, and the list goes on. The extra wear and tear on these parts is perhaps outweighed by the advantage of running a stronger, zero offset wheel. All of that stuff gets replaced every race during prep, whereas the rest of us who just load our cars up and head out every weekend until something breaks don't have that luxury. The difference in stress between proper steering geometry doesn't mean the car will instantly fall apart, but it certainly could mean the difference between getting 1000 miles out of your tie rods and ball joints or getting 3000 miles out of them, or the difference between coming out of a turn on two wheels or coming out on your lid.

In the end a lot of it is as much art as science in my opinion. Based on my own experience I would prefer a wheel/tire combo that is close to stock for what I do.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Mr. Zambo, is this an RS or DS? Would it make a difference? What is the offset on the stock wheels? (good info BT)
x3 RS. The stock wheels have a 6" backspacing. The thing I hate the most about the stock wheel is the way there is no hub circle, just a couple of spokes landing at each bolt hole.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Anyone running a 33x10.5-15in light truck tire on 5+2 offset wheel? Looks like from earlier post its ok on a 4+3 offset but wondering if a 5+2 would likely make it rub ... seems unlikely but any input appreciated. I am going with the Dick Cepek Extreme Country as priced well, weigh the least for a MT tire from what I have found, and I like the tread pattern for what I do.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Anyone running a 33x10.5-15in light truck tire on 5+2 offset wheel? I am going with the Dick Cepek Extreme Conutry as priced well and like the tread pattern. Looks like from earlier post its ok on a 4+3 offset but wondering if a 5+2 would likely make it rub ... seems unlikely but any input appreciated ...
Dont know about those tires they sure seem heavy at 48# each.

I cant wait to put my 33x10.50x15 Yokohama tires(38#) on 15x6 walker evans beadlocks. Waiting on powder coating right now.

IMG_7435.JPG

·
Registered
895 Posts
whats the lightest tire in a 32x10x14
i was thinking maxxis liberty or chicanes. ive never tried either but looking for a dry weather larger tire thats lighter than 32 rocktanes

·
Registered
895 Posts
cool thanks, i have considered going to 15 wheels but they seem to add weight, might handle a little better with less sidewall tho

·
Registered
895 Posts
goin to moab next week, i have 31's on it now, i do have a set of 32 rocktanes but damn them things, they dont hold air very well (the company is chinese i know, i know) and they are frigging heavy so just looking at options. dont want to break too many axles ;)

·
Registered
494 Posts
We will be in Moab this coming weekend. Did Kane Creek, Behind the Rocks and Pritchett this past Saturday.

Sam

·
Registered
895 Posts
We will be in Moab this coming weekend. Did Kane Creek, Behind the Rocks and Pritchett this past Saturday.

Sam
LOVE MOAB!
we'll be there next weekend hopefully with better weather than salt lake, dammmmitt it snowed again today!

·
Premium Member
3,060 Posts
Moab Saturday would be a good one! I run 32" liberty's and they seem to do well in the rocks and they are definitely on the lighter end of the spectrum. Way lighter than my 29" rocktanes I would say just by feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
385 Posts
I did end up going with the 33-10.5-15 Dick Cepek Extreme Countries and mounted them on STI HD5 15x7 with 5+2 backspacing.

Wanted true light truck tires to help ensure a smooth ride at speed and get extremely long life out of them. The Dicks can be had for $170 which is the cheapest for a LT tire I have found and I really like the combination tread pattern of very aggressive on edges and more condensed center treads for good on and off road combination. Nice to have a USA built tire too. They weighed in at the claimed 48lbs. I will note they measure out at a 32x10 and now curious what the BFG's KM2's are at for comparison (but still much more expensive ~$220)?

Struggled to find 15in wheels that I liked and gambled with the 5+2 offset hoping no clearance issues. Did not want to go 14in with all the issues of stuff tearing up wheels and 15in still gives a lot of sidewall in this big of tire for a more plush ride and flex for rock crawling. Had no real intentions of beadlocks as I don't do any really low pressures or hard desert racing, was trying to not go heavy on wheels too, but also keep reasonable price. Researched a lot and in the end the HD5 beadlocks are the same or lighter than the non-beadlocks I had my eyes on, priced only slightly higher, and really the only wheel I truly liked for my ride so went that route. Not to mention makes it easier for me to install the tires myself, can powder coat the beadlocks to match my ride now, and gives me good piece of mind. Really like that the beadlock is flush with inner rim so crap does get trapped in beadlock or have to rely on drains in beadlock to hopefully let it flush out, but I will mention there is a fair gap between the beadlock and inner wheel (especially as the LT tires seem to have a thicker bead) so dirt particles will likely accumulate in here.They weighed in at 16.75lbs with all hardware for the beadlocks in. As a side note, had to pick up a set of M12x1.50 lug nuts at local auto parts store in the splined version as holes not big enough for stock lugs with standard socket head and suspect many wheels will be like this ... the splined ones are really nice but a little inconvenient to carry a key all times.

This combination rides great at high speed. No need for me to see if can get them balanced and a big relief as my last set of big UTV tires had horrible wheel shake even with balancing beads, etc. Not even close for clearance issues even with the 5+2 offset on my RS. Will be nice on the tight trails and give me the extra few inches when trailering to not have to crawl up trailer. I still would have gone 4+3 but no wheel choices of my liking.

Hopefully they hold up well and will report back if not ... will see how the belt holds long term but really not that much heavier than most UTV specific setups. i would'nt want anything smaller personally and almost sad it still doesnt look like a monster truck with 33's on it LOL.

245.JPG 246.JPG 242.JPG 239.JPG 238.JPG 236.JPG 235.JPG 234.JPG

21 - 40 of 464 Posts