Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 431 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone started a thread on running bigger tires for the X3? What fits? What works? What needs done? Clutch job? lift? I couldn't get the search function to work. I'd like to run bigger tires on a DS.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Lots of people running 32's. Nice thing about the X3 is there are no clearance issues with the exception of possibly the rear trailing arms on the 64" wide models when running the factory rims. A set of 5+2 offset wheels will take care of that.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I've seen a lot of 32's and 1 on 38 inch boggers (he's in this forum somewhere) I'd like to run 33 DOT tires.

·
Registered
512 Posts
5-2 wheel and I think 33" would be fine. From what I have seen the first thing that the tire hits is the headlight, when deep in the travel and turning.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
I am running 32's with no clearance issues. Not sure if anyone has started doing clutching for them yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have run 38.5 boggers and it took a few mud riding trips to get a front left axle. The only clearance issue is the inner fender and i heated and remolded the plastic to correct this. Normally i run the bighorns...only boggers when i plan to ride in extreme situations.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
When you are running the 38" tire's are you having to baby the throttle so you don't bust all the cv-joints . Or can you go wild

·
Official Site Vendor
627 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Got my Chicane Rx tires today, 32x10x15, along with STI HD5 BL wheels. Tires weighed in at 47 lbs per. Wheels were 16 lbs each. I will see what stock tire and rim weigh when I put it all together. Buried under snow here so it will be a few weeks for sure. Can't go fast enough. Dropped it all off at my buddies garage, put the tire up against his 2015 XRS Turbo with 28" Bighorns and my F350 with 18" tires just for comparison, lol.

·
Registered
16 Posts
When you are running the 38" tire's are you having to baby the throttle so you don't bust all the cv-joints . Or can you go wild
I use throttle control but i have nailed it from dead stop in low with no breakage. When i had the axle failure the front suspension was fully extended. The hole i got talked into hitting was deep...lol. The 23" of ground clearance was gone and the 4' of mud and water had the front end all but floating.
fyi...the cut boggers on 15's weigh 93 lbs.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Anybody have suggestions for a strong 15" wheel that has at least 5" backspacing and won't break the bank?

·
Vendor
17 Posts
For those of you that really want to go big we are now offering our Billet Center Series in 17" diameter, and can accommodate a wide range of offsets and widths. Seen here with the X3 X RS Gold on the beadlock ring.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Thanks that is more in my limited price range. Very hard to find a 15" wheel with enough backspacing.

For giggles I did some dirty measuring on the garage floor to see what the scrub radius looks like. The outer lines are the edges of where the tire would be (no load). The line that says 30 is where the stock scrub radius is, about .5" or so of positive SR. The next line is where it would be with a 32 on the stock wheel, pretty much dead nuts zero scrub radius. The last line is about where the SR would be with a 32 on a 5+2 wheel, about .5" negative. Of course this is all no load static and the actual point moves around as the suspension cycles and the tires flex. I think in this machine that .5" is pretty good. I wouldn't use a wider wheel than that.

1 - 20 of 431 Posts