Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

Big Problem! I need your thoughts

8K views 53 replies 26 participants last post by  GOFORIT 
#1 ·
So I bought a new Maverick xds turbo 2 seater 2015 (so I thought) on 2/1/2016, well just now my dealer called me and let me know I have the wrong machine! What the hell, so my title and all my paper work match but my machine has the wrong vin number. The dealer gave me a 2016 and not the 2015. So after those freezing ass nights in the garage installing harnesses and doors and belt temp, ect... My dealer said he is going to switch everything over to the new machine but now I cant ride this weekend and basically a waste of my time that I spent installing accessories, gas I'm going to spend driving 80 miles round trip to the dealer (2 trips). What would you guys do or what are you thoughts on this situation? Its a big mistake by the dealer and he is going to loose money I would think because he can't sell it as new. I have never heard of this happening with any new purchase! I'm taking up the machine tomorrow, to talk to him about it.

#3 ·
Tell him the deal was done in good faith and it's over. You aren't responsible for their error. I don't believe he can do a thing.

#6 ·
That's messed up. I think it's there mistake. There loss. They should give you the title for the 16

#8 ·
I'm sure it is. They messed up

#10 ·
Just talked to him. You"ve put some miles on it. Scuffed up some plastic putting your new stuff in it. He is going to loose more on the deal if you bring it back. He can't sell it as new anymore. No way

#11 ·
I think you got the deal of the year!! I wouldn't give it up!! There will be no love lost from the dealership long term, regardless they will still want to continue to see your wallet.
hurt dealership feeling come from your first couple warranty claims not original purchases!! haha

#12 ·
I agree with that!

#14 ·
The cost to the dealer for a 16 vs a 15 is minimal. He should just give you a new title and be done with it. If for some reason he feels he has to swap it out then he should pay you for your troubles, gas, time traveling, and everything else. At that point he will just give you a new title and if not tell him to come get it with a refund including a check for the accessories you put on it including your time at $80/hr( ha ha). Sounds like your weekend is ruined maybe. The dealer screwed up and should not have you inconvenienced due to their error. OH, he can sell it as a demo untitled if you put miles on it.

#18 ·
I would get it resolved BEFORE spending your time and $'s taking it too him.
If resolution requires an exchange then he should send you the new '15 and pick up the '16. HE should incur all costs and aggravation not you.
Sounds back ass wards him making the error but you having to spend the time and $'s to correct his mistake. And worse take the liability if for example bike gets damaged like falling off the trailer before you get it back to him.
With the cost of the switch maybe he will agree to a simple paperwork swap and you get to keep the machine.

#19 ·
I agree with what all these guys are saying. It's on them and they need to make it right. I wouldn't take it anywhere until an agreement is made. Like stated before he will likely lose money in the end anyway by the time he pays for everything to be switched and for your fuel and time, defiinitely more than the difference he paid for the two machines. I bet the biggest reason he wants to switch is because the paperwork will be harder to make right on their end to switch over. I for sure wouldn't let them bull doze me into anything. Another option is to call can am direct and talk to them. I'm sure they will probably just tell you to work it out with your dealership but it's an option.

#21 ·
While the idea of a title swap sounds great, I'm sure your paperwork has been sent in and the title is now reported as sold. Therefore he wouldn't be able to sell the 15 one as a new unit again. Unfortunately mistakes happen. This one's quite the mistake though. I've seen it happen on new cars and trucks as well. I'm sure they will make it right with you. If they could do a paperwork swap, I'm sure they would as it would be way easier. Just remember nobody is perfect, we've all made a mistake.

#22 ·
Yea, this situation sucks. But as stated, accidents happen. Don't be to concerned about the differences between the 15 & 16 if you plan to flash. I personally would get the 15 as long as it is in new condition and let them swap out the installed items. They are getting a large rebate on the 15, so it would not justify the dealer to allow you to keep the 16. If you wanted to pay the difference, then keep the 16. A lot of this depends on how the dealer is treating you as well. Again, no one is perfect and mistakes happen. Just ask them to show you the numbers of why they are wanting to do what they are asking. It will help you understand the logistics of their error. Good luck.

#24 ·
Say I take the machine back trade him and he is going to swap over all my parts, what do you think would be a fair for him to work with me on giving his newer faster machine and him giving me a older slower machine than what I have now?

#31 ·
The second you show up with the 16 at the dealer you lose all negotiating advantages. Bang, your done and at his mercy. No way you take it back unless you agree up front. Tell him to come and get it and redeliver the new one with your accessories if he has to have the 16. And what will he do for your inconvenience? That is the absolute most you should do. If he has to swap it out you are screwed no matter what. Do not drive 80 miles on your expense for their mistake. I agree mistakes are made and an amicable agreement should be agreed to but do not set yourself up at his mercy by taking it back. Tell him to come get it. The dealer most likely don't care about you. He is in business to make money and right now he is cost avoidance mode. JMO

#32 ·
I understand mistakes are made and I'm going to make him redeliver the new one if we have to exchange. I'm feeling like if I show him respect about this situation he will return the favor if not, he could loose my business, my dads, and my 2 uncles and maybe some friends of mine. If I help him he helps me, I wonder if there is a law to where I would have to give it back. I have been looking into it and haven't found a law on this ordeal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.