Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2020 XRC Turbo RR
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search and read all of the older threads. I also contacted Whalen but they don't have experience mixing boosters they want to share.

Anyone here running an octane booster with a big injector 98+ tune? What has been your experience? What are the long-term side effects? I have a stock turbo RR with a raw aluminum fuel cell. We have limited fuel options in the PNW and my life would be a lot easier if I could just buy a case of Torco and mix with 91 ethanol free base fuel.

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
3,249 Posts
I did a search and read all of the older threads. I also contacted Whalen but they don't have experience mixing boosters they want to share.

Anyone here running an octane booster with a big injector 98+ tune? What has been your experience? What are the long-term side effects? I have a stock turbo RR with a raw aluminum fuel cell. We have limited fuel options in the PNW and my life would be a lot easier if I could just buy a case of Torco and mix with 91 ethanol free base fuel.
You have failed at resisting the urge.

·
Registered
2020 XRC Turbo RR
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have failed at resisting the urge.
I said "I don't want 40's on my truck" out loud which meant "Get the Sawzall Betty, it's cuttin' time".

The plan is evolving into putting the 32" 360s on the new General and hand buffs on the X3. My stock RR runs out of power and paddle at St. Anthony.

·
Premium Member
2020 X3 X RS RR
1,083 Posts
I use Boostane Professional for my 3R tune. I use .26 oz. per gallon gives me 95 octane. To go from 91 to 100 would need 1.83 oz. per gallon. The only thing you will notice is the MMT in these products turn your exhaust and spark plugs orange.

·
Registered
2020 XRC Turbo RR
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use Boostane Professional for my 3R tune. I use .26 oz. per gallon gives me 95 octane. To go from 91 to 100 would need 1.83 oz. per gallon. The only thing you will notice is the MMT in these products turn your exhaust and spark plugs orange.
Thank you for your feedback. Are there issue with aluminum corrosion or damage from leaving it in the car long-term? Bumping 91 to 93 kicked all of this off because I can't get 93 locally. Also, from what I understand most of race gas are MMT blends.

·
Premium Member
2020 X3 X RS RR
1,083 Posts
Thank you for your feedback. Are there issue with aluminum corrosion or damage from leaving it in the car long-term? Bumping 91 to 93 kicked all of this off because I can't get 93 locally. Also, from what I understand most of race gas are MMT blends.
I have been using it on my 2017 Z06 as GM recommends 93 and CA. only has 91. Have used it for the last 4 years and no issues at all.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Torco works but it dyes everything orange-ish and you can't do plug readings. I never had it ruin an O2 sensor, my experience is from a Coyote and a C7 LT1. I found that the claimed equivalent octane held true for the timing and boost levels I ran. No idea about aluminum but I think the fuel lines on newer passenger cars might be aluminum I never had an issue there either.

·
Registered
2020 XRC Turbo RR
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have also used Torco for a 93 octane Whalen tune. I like it to get a few octane, but to go up to 98 safely you got to use quite a bit. May be better off locating 100LL nearby
I have a second car and would prefer not to haul two different fuels. Not to mention 100LL is almost $10/gal where as Boostane is under $.50/gal. Torco is quite a bit more expensive.

·
Registered
2020 XRC Turbo RR
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Run it, pull a datalog and see what knock/ignition look like.
Thanks for your feedback and the suggestion. I ordered some Boostane Pro. I'm thinking I may try a 100LL tune and a 98+ tune and see which works better. I can get 100LL from a jet center 10 minutes from my house. AA has single tunes that get me close to the big injector tunes without most of the cost. I think I'll add a Dynojet O2 sensor for safety. It's going to take some time before I get to it though. In the meantime, I can bump 91 to 93 for $.50/gal.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
race gas tunes on wimpy 93 is not going to go well

Reactions: 10mm_

·
Registered
360 Posts
Is AV GAS as option for a application like this, the octane rating is suitable?

Its readily avalible in the PNW, and we use it for our high compression small engines when that is required with the compression ratio.

·
Registered
2020 XRC Turbo RR
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Is AV GAS as option for a application like this, the octane rating is suitable?

Its readily avalible in the PNW, and we use it for our high compression small engines when that is required with the compression ratio.
It depends on who made the tune and which fuel they used. AA has a 100LL specific tune. Other tuners don't recommend using it for their 98+ tunes.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I asked Andy from powertune if I can use octane boosters, his advice was to never use it. It was a year ago, but I’m pretty sure he said these rotex engines don’t like it or it’s bad for them or some like that. So I never tried. I’m running his E85 tune right now, but I have to drive 80 miles for E85. its that or 91 here, that sucks!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts