Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I've read a lot of Commander threads of people putting larger throttle bodies on and not gaining anything. In my humble opinion, there's only one cylinder sucking air in at a time through a pair of intake valves. Those valves probably don't need a larger throttle body. You could put a 106 millimeter throttle body on it, and only as much air as can go in that one cylinder at a time is going to be used. If I were looking for more power, I would rather buy a dyno verified matching set up from one vendor. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I think with the bigger valves in the mav heads we might see a gain coupled with a intake and exhaust should make for some good gains

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I know the Teryx's gained hp by boring out both their TB's only 4mm. So I'm not sure why you think it would not give any improvements? There is no way that BRP put the best performing Tb on this car. I think if you open up the air intake,install a larger TB and include a exhaust, it will certainly produce some HP gains.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Yeah, but the Teryx's didn't have any horsepower to start with! What we have here is an 85 hp commander motor, that's had high compression, larger valves, and a Catalytic converter thrown at it, and it's making 101 hp! And the commanders lose power with an open exhaust. This motors pretty well engineered. That's why say I would only buy a package from a vendor who's done the research to guarantee horsepower gains.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Well that part I get. I'm certainly not trying to figure stuff out on my own. But I do think there is some ponies left in this motor. I heard this is basically the same motor as the can-am spider which puts out 120 or 130 hp.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Okay, I did my research on the Can Am spider motor. Below is a couple of pictures. The first one is of the spider motor. The second picture is of the maverick motor. And the third picture is of the spider gauge cluster which shows a 9500 RPM redline. By looking at the motor pictures, it looks like the spider motor is quite a bit more sophisticated than what's in our Maverick. And it redlines at 1500 RPMs higher, and has 5 horsepower more while running a lower compression.

·
Registered
112 Posts
So run a higher compression and throw that bad boy in a maverick!!

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
Can't hurt to try the 30$ shipped tb on the maverick Somebody atleast try it I can't tell a diff on my commander but I have a turbo

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Okay, I did my research on the Can Am spider motor. Below is a couple of pictures. The first one is of the spider motor. The second picture is of the maverick motor. And the third picture is of the spider gauge cluster which shows a 9500 RPM redline. By looking at the motor pictures, it looks like the spider motor is quite a bit more sophisticated than what's in our Maverick. And it redlines at 1500 RPMs higher, and has 5 horsepower more while running a lower compression.
Yes they look alot different

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
We run a 58mm TB in our race car too...
Did you notice any performance improvement with the larger TB? I'm sure you already have an exhaust and an open intake as well.

·
Registered
468 Posts
There's a few things you can do to prevent the power cutting. Like mentioned above get the sport low mode I have it and it makes a world of a difference for $200. (Arcticbomb on eBay) if you don't find this to be enough you can contact monster tuning and get a tune monster it totally over ride the existing Ecu and removes all governors if you want. You won't get the power cuts anymore forsure. This would be good for the guys that are jumping too and complaining that it'll cut the power when they are in the air as well.
There is nothing currently available from Fuel monster for a maverick, no fuel tuner or ECM replacement. Last word as of today was they really have no idea when they will have anything available

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
21 - 35 of 35 Posts