Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone running the new BFG 30 x 10 x 14 KM3's on thier stock 14" X3 Beadlocks? I'm curious about the install. My dealer tried and gave up. Said the bead was too thick and it would not work. I'm ready to try it myself if others have been able to do it.

·
Premium Member
3,295 Posts
You may just have to get some longer bead lock bolts. We mounted some Goodyear MTR’s on some rims a while back and had to get longer bead lock bolts due to the much thicker truck tire bead. But after that all worked fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replys. I appriciate the comments and info. I would still appriciate to hear if anyone has done the exact set up I have, as I already own the BFG KM3's and want to stay with the stock wheels.

·
Premium Member
3,295 Posts
They should work fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had to purchase slightly longer bolts as the sidewall of the KM3s is very thick compared to the Big Horns. It's likely that once started the original bolts could ahve been used but I felt better about having more threads engaged and I had already bought a box-o-bolts. Great tire BTW!

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had to purchase slightly longer bolts as the sidewall of the KM3s is very thick compared to the Big Horns. It's likely that once started the original bolts could ahve been used but I felt better about having more threads engaged and I had already bought a box-o-bolts. Great tire BTW!
Do you remember what size bolts you bought? I've also seen threads on using beadlock spacers....do you see a need for them or happy with the way yours are set up?

·
Official Site Vendor
7,904 Posts
Do you remember what size bolts you bought? I've also seen threads on using beadlock spacers....do you see a need for them or happy with the way yours are set up?
Just use the next longer size bolt than you have and get 4 of them started in an x pattern. The stock bolts should work after you get the rings compressed slightly. You could also just use the next longer size bolts all the way around if they are not too long.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The BFG KM3's have a thick sidewall but that is good since running lower pressure gives better traction and ride. I have a pair of the KM3's for a year now on my X3 (30x10-R14) and love to drive on them, they are a solid tire and can take a beating. Not sure about other brands but for desert driving in AZ with sharp rocks and sticks everywhere the BFG brand tends to take a good beating before they fail.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Bumping this old thread. For those that have run the washers, or longer bolts, are you running into any issues with bolts backing out or any other issues?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I did a 220 mile 2 day ride with the stock bolts and they are all still there. I know when I did mine, I had to start one bolt then the other right next to it until I got all the way around. when all had a few threads then I started tightening opposite and then torque

·
Registered
12 Posts
I did a 220 mile 2 day ride with the stock bolts and they are all still there. I know when I did mine, I had to start one bolt then the other right next to it until I got all the way around. when all had a few threads then I started tightening opposite and then torque
Did you use washers as well?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Quick Thought: Has anybody tried to 3d print can am Beadlock spacers? It looks like Raceline uses plastic for their spacers.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
My buddy has the KM3s on stock wheels using stock bolts no problem. His are 32s. As mentioned, simply get a few slightly longer bolts in order to get the assembly together and compressed a bit then you can use the stock bolts. We've had to do a couple wheel repairs while in baja and the tire shop guys never had a problem getting the tire unmounted and remounted.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My buddy has the KM3s on stock wheels using stock bolts no problem. His are 32s. As mentioned, simply get a few slightly longer bolts in order to get the assembly together and compressed a bit then you can use the stock bolts. We've had to do a couple wheel repairs while in baja and the tire shop guys never had a problem getting the
Quick Thought: Has anybody tried to 3d print can am Beadlock spacers? It looks like Raceline uses plastic for their spacers.
I wouldn't use 3d printed ones... The stuff I print isn't very strong.

On another note with raceline wheels, has anyone mounted that KM3 thick bead without spacers? I'm getting ready to and it looks questionable...

·
Registered
173 Posts
I mounted the bfg's on 14" stock beadlocks. Really easy using anti-seize. Compressed the bead all the way down. Then torqued to 20% less than spec. due to the anti-seize. Worked a charm and they hold air great. Also good tire and great traction on variety of terrain.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I wouldn't use 3d printed ones... The stuff I print isn't very strong.

On another note with raceline wheels, has anyone mounted that KM3 thick bead without spacers? I'm getting ready to and it looks questionable...
Just to save some folks some headaches like mine.... I purchased the Raceline Ryno wheels, and after mounting one of the BFG KM3,s on it, I will need a spacer. After torqueing the bolts to spec, I still had a noticeable gap between the wheel and the beadlock ring. The KM3 5/8" bead is 1/8 too thick, and the ring was turning in slightly. After miking the gap It is slightly smaller than 1/8", so I can get by with one spacer as they are 1/8" thick. Now I have seen some that our local dealer mounted without spacers, and yes if you over torque them you could squeeze it down, but I'm not willing to do that...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts