Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

Better Brakes (I hope)

6K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  HuffTrybe 
#1 ·
So, I got myself a Agency Power 12" brake setup. Got the fronts installed (have to delay rear installation until I got some parts of another project in the back)
And as everyone else noticed, the OEM master cylinder sucks (there must be some issue with the internal valves)
So, instead of trying to figure out the OEM MC, I ordered a new one from Wilwood with a brake balancer.
Hope it will work out...
The Master Cylinder with Balancing Valve picture is barrowed from the Wilwood website (has not arrived jet)

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice. Ill be watching. After trying the 4psi rEli dual valves, i didnt notice much change other than its a pita to push around in the garage now.

Thanks for blazing a trail for the rest of us.

#6 ·
My main problem with the Agency Power set was using 12" disks front and rear, but after finding the Wilwood MC with the balancing valve, it allows for reducing the brakeforce in the rear to prevent spinouts during turn in braking; unless you're looking for it and crank it up :)

#7 ·
I got my Master Cylinder and balancing valve from Wilwood, good looking setup.
The pushrod needs to be shortened and some additional threads cut. The clevis needs to be drilled out and re-taped to fit the pushrod. New mounting holes need to be drilled. I also had to get 3/8-24 banjo bolts and one plug to connect the OEM brake lines to the balancing valve. The only banjo bolts I could get my hands on needed to be shortened to fit.

#12 ·
That is correct, but I will be pushing against a larger surface area of the pistons in the calipers, so I will be using less pedal force to get higher clamping force on larger diameter discs. I'm on the positive on all factors of the equation.

#15 ·
Quick update:
Been working my ass off lately and did not have any time to play with my toy.
Also, all the riding areas around here had been closed do to the covid shit.
But a section of the Oregon dunes just got opened up, and it is time to play.
Locked my machine over and noticed an interference problem on my new front brakes.
I have CT lower A-Arms and the beefier ball joint cup makes contact on the disk head outer diameter under suspension compression, it gets worth with steering impute.

#18 ·
Oh, the brakes work great. With OEM lower a-arms there is no interference problem.
The CT lowers are so beefy around the ball joint that I see no problem massaging them down for clearance.
And with the brake biasing valve you can set your brakes the way you like them.
Note: the biasing valve is not set up for banjo bolts, make sure you face the seats before installation.
It will safe you a lot of work.

#19 ·
So, I got myself a Agency Power 12" brake setup. Got the fronts installed (have to delay rear installation until I got some parts of another project in the back)
And as everyone else noticed, the OEM master cylinder sucks (there must be some issue with the internal valves)
So, instead of trying to figure out the OEM MC, I ordered a new one from Wilwood with a brake balancer.
Hope it will work out...
The Master Cylinder with Balancing Valve picture is barrowed from the Wilwood website (has not arrived jet)
View attachment 251749 View attachment 251750 View attachment 251751 View attachment 251752
I've been kicking around the MC idea.. where? how much?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.