Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys heading to glamis in a few days for thanksgiving . Where is the best most fun place to camp . I have never been there an we wanna have a good time . We don't have kids in our group! Any input would be great thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
I prefer to camp off of Gecko, but majority of the time we camp in the washes. I stay away from the flats behind the vendors because of the rangers.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok so is gecko pretty fun ? I don't wanna be somewhere that like no noise after 10pm . Also I heard the washes are lame and dusty ?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Good luck finding a spot on Gecko. On big weekends its gets very tight & crowded very early. So you may be able to squeeze into a spot but not if you have morethan 1 or 2 camper in your group. If you camp in the washes just go in to a higher number wash. Past wash 10 and you dont have all the dust. The most dust is in lower number washes like 4 or lower.

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
Gecko is uneven and far away from vendors, bar, resturant, Olds hill. I camped out there twice and did not like it.

I have been camping in the washes for 10+ years and yes it gets a little dusty at sundown untill the evening winds kick up and clear it out. But you will have a ton of flat area to camp "circle the wagon" style.

there is good and bad everywhere, i figure i am in the sand so i dont care where i park my rig.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good luck finding a spot on Gecko. On big weekends its gets very tight & crowded very early. So you may be able to squeeze into a spot but not if you have morethan 1 or 2 camper in your group. If you camp in the washes just go in to a higher number wash. Past wash 10 and you dont have all the dust. The most dust is in lower number washes like 4 or

Thanks. My buddy is leVing today to head down . He's been a few times but he has dif ideas of fun sometimes .lol he saving me a spot on gecko just makin sure that's a fun spot . I have another group of friends staying on wash 4 . But both groups swear on there spot so I wanted a non bias opinion lol

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Gecko is close to the drags but far away from the action. The washes have alot more activity like Mega said. Vendors, glamis store, restaurant and easy ride to Olds hill at night. Plus way more open riding area on the wash side.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Gecko is uneven and far away from vendors, bar, resturant, Olds hill. I camped out there twice and did not like it.

I have been camping in the washes for 10+ years and yes it gets a little dusty at sundown untill the evening winds kick up and clear it out. But you will have a ton of flat area to camp "circle the wagon" style.

there is good and bad everywhere, i figure i am in the sand so i dont care where i park my rig.
Times 2 on this. Washes are better access to duning IMHO. The other benefits are more dumpsters, pit toilets and Beach store are close. Dust is part of the price of admission.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I see . So mega where's your suggestion for best place to camp an fun times and good riding

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I see . So mega where's your suggestion for best place to camp an fun times and good riding
He already said he camps in the washes.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Washes have a better "camp life" to me. There's trees, fun play dunes, and good jumps to be found. Downside is dust, so over the past 30 years we have migrated from Wash 9 to 24+ now on Holiday Weekends to have a little more space, less dust and fewer Rangers.

Plus for Gecko is less dust and closer to big, haul ass, dunes which is nice.

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
You can also ride to boardmanville with paddles on
the biggest thing is your friends and riding buddies, where are they at? Do you want to camp at one place then ride over to thier camp everytime you want to go for a ride?

If you have a group and you all want to camp together, the washes are perfect. I like 1-10 since you are close to vendors row, GB store, resturant, and bar. It makes it easy to ride over to the resturant and get a "Roy Special" in the morning. Also in the washes you are a short small-medium-decent size dune ride to Olds hill, you can also take the sand highway there or back if you are broken and limping back to camp.

Its easy to find at night just point for the cell tower, GBS sign and red lights to the far east on the mountains and you can find camp easy.

lots of flat areas for circle the wagon camping, you are close to small dunes for the kiddos to ride on(but supervise them well, it gets busy at times).

a few weeks ago i camped in wsh 13 and did not like it, i was too far from the vendors and i did not like the small tight dunes to the hill. And the dust out there is the same as wash 2.

I always stop by Olds hill just to see whats happening and find friends from other camps but i dont saty long. There is alot of great "highways" that you can run 60mph in a great flow for 5 miles or so. There is great runs from the washes through Olds out to the drags every afternoon, nothing like driving into the sun at 60mph not being able to see shit. weeeeee also the run from Olds to China Wall is great and will take 30-50 minutes depending on how fast you go and how many beer stops you make. Olds to flag pole is i good ride too but short through some decent size dunes. Olds to Osbourne overlook is pure 60mph, foot through the floor hauling ass!!! in the big dunes.

lots of great riding just find a group that likes to ride more than sit. Devon camps at wash 2 next tothe tree and the old weding shop which is now owner by a Nascar guy, Devon and his group ride hard and are always welcoming to new faces.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts