Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched for something on harnesses and cant find anything. I am looking for the best harness set. I want something that is easy to adjust, and easy to lock in when wearing cold weather gear and a helmet. Any pics are appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have used dragon fire, pro armor and Utv inc's harnesses. They are all pretty close. I currently have the Utv inc harness and like the fact that the metal parts are powder coated black. No corrosion issue. With the can am harness bar the were easy to install.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I can only speak for dragonfire harnesses. They have nice big pull tabs and are easy to adjust. I have an easy time with them even when riding in below zero weather. Fit and finish is great, and I got the yellow ones which match pretty closely with the yellow in my seats. I would buy again without hesitation.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I really like the PRP 5.3 harnesses. Super easy to adjust and make fit.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I have the Pro Armor 3" 5 point harnesses and they are very well built but i do notice they are hard to loosen. They tighten easily and have a great buckle system but are just hard to loosen at times. Also the the waste straps don't have the pull tabs like the sholder straps do so it makes it hard to grab them with thicker gloves on....

·
Registered
9,365 Posts
I really like the PRP 5.3 harnesses. Super easy to adjust and make fit.
x2. I really like the PRP as they are very easy to adjust.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I will have to keep that in mind if/when I need another set....

·
Registered
107 Posts
are you able to use the prp harness 5.3 with the crotch strap if you want? will the other all buckle up right without it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
The "best" harness is generally considered to be the team tech. Very pricey. TeamTech Motorsports So let’s move right away from that one....

I use Crow 5.3 with built in shoulder pads and sternum strap. Both upgrades over standard I think but the pads and strap make it very comfy. On the adjust-ability some come with an off road spring that keeps the retainer against the belt. That stops it from loosening up during the ride. A nice $10.00 upgrade. A bit tougher to loosen, but worth it. One very nice feature to have is "pull up" vs. a "pull down." My current set of Crows are "pull down" and it is not an issue for me.

The most over looked aspect is mounting. This will give you an idea as to best placement practices. http://simpsonraceproducts.com/pdf/inst/Seat_Belt_Mounting.pdf

There is some discussion out there that a 4 point is more dangerous than a 3 point due to submarine issues. IDK. We use the 5pt and when we are just cruising use them as 4pt.

Remember to tighten them periodically during your ride. And don’t forget a wrist restraint. They are cheaper then arms.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Whatever you decide. you dont need 3" harnesses . they are more for high speed drag cars,baja rigs, or anything really
fast.

The 2" are more than enough .
Get the shoulder straps sewn into the lap belt FOR SURE, SOOO much easier IN & OUT.

Padded shoulder straps.

The 2" wont rub your neck as bad either.

if you want the most convieniant style, it would be as described above with the cam lock style latch.
But not if you run in mud , if you do the mud, then get the normal flip latch style.

Think about it , all cars have THIN 2" belts. Have you ever heard of them breaking ?

The 2" harnesses are twice as thick as factory automotive belts.

3" are way overkill , harder to deal with buckleing up and worse on the neck rubbing .

·
Registered
132 Posts
Whatever you decide.
Don't use a broomstick and bailing wire. Even those it is the easiest to mount and does offer the best adjustability,
I've heard they break and can cause splinters.
Also just because its a good buy the 72 Dodge Dart seat belts are not what I would use. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-DODGE-DART-SEAT-BELT-FOR-PARTS-REPAIR-SWINGER-2-DR-DUSTER-VALIANT-CHEAP-GT/331115208557?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid=111000&algo=REC.CURRENT&ao=1&asc=27&meid=4440734429503013658&pid=100033&prg=1011&rk=1&rkt=4&sd=291063326157&

·
Registered
9,365 Posts
are you able to use the prp harness 5.3 with the crotch strap if you want? will the other all buckle up right without it?
Yes you can use a crotch strap. In fact my PRP harness came with crotch straps. You do not have to use them and the harness buckle up fine.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Any of the harness sets mounted right and maintained will more than do the job whether 2" or 3". Inspect them regular to be sure they didn't snag and tear on something. And for adjustability, clean them. Usually just hammering them with the hose is good enough but I like to use a soft brush with same soapy water I clean the Mav with. And while they are wet I adjust them from one end to the other several times so they don't get a 'memory' spot. And when the car is in the garage I usually leave them adjusted as short as they will go in between rides for the same reason. I hate getting in another car and the belts don't adjust easily for lack of cleaning. And for the record I'm using Crow 3" standard buckle. Second set on my second UTV and I like them.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I bought the Blingstar H style with Sternum Strap and Padded Shoulders. They have a pocket for your phone, radio, Ipod, I like the Std Latch style over the cam style but I am sure that is preference.

I fabbed up my own mounting bracket and welded it in.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I just got and installed the DFR 3" yellow belts, easy to adjust, well built, no neck rubbing, cost $109 each shipped. My 2 cents..

·
Registered
403 Posts
I've got the Pro-Armor harnesses and hate the fact that the shoulder belt doesn't disconnect from the lap belt. Anybody know which ones have that feature? I'm probably going to sell my Pro-Armor's. I think they're 3" black and were used on 2 rides.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts