Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
I live in some pretty dusty areas here in AZ. You may have more people from AZ tell you how bad it can be following people. I had been running the stock paper element but was finding a small amount of fine dust getting through. I've been an off road dirt bike racer for 30+ years and found that the only "type" of filter that keeps pretty much everything out are foam air filters. Saying that..... I installed a Twin Air foam filter and have not had any fine dust get through. It is a double filter which is nice but may restrict some of the air flow. So I took off the outside layer and installed a S&B particle separator. The last race I was in was so dusty I could barely see the car in front of me only 1 car length ahead. Took the cleaner off after the race to see just want might have gotten through.... Nada, clean as if I had just clean it. Just my 2 cents.....

Light bulb Lighting Incandescent light bulb Lamp Light fixture

·
Premium Member
3,461 Posts
I would look at the Donaldson blue filter and then put the inner filter inside that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
454 Posts
I live in some pretty dusty areas here in AZ. You may have more people from AZ tell you how bad it can be following people. I had been running the stock paper element but was finding a small amount of fine dust getting through. I've been an off road dirt bike racer for 30+ years and found that the only "type" of filter that keeps pretty much everything out are foam air filters. Saying that..... I installed a Twin Air foam filter and have not had any fine dust get through. It is a double filter which is nice but may restrict some of the air flow. So I took off the outside layer and installed a S&B particle separator. The last race I was in was so dusty I could barely see the car in front of me only 1 car length ahead. Took the cleaner off after the race to see just want might have gotten through.... Nada, clean as if I had just clean it. Just my 2 cents.....
I agree the donaldson is not working in the silt beds. I see a fine layer of dust in the intake. I have noticed that the donaldson filters seem to vary in overall length by as much as 1/4". They have been really good about replacing them. I have the BRP Foam sitting on my bench and that will go on next.

·
Registered
10,593 Posts
Donaldson filters are really good. Does outerwear make anything for the stock filter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
454 Posts
How about a stock filter with pre-filter. Would that help keep out the fine dust?
It might...... However, I have a fresh air system for my helmet that came with one of those pre-filters. It also has one of the blue filers. When it is really dusty (as mentioned earlier, where you can't see right in front of you), I can still smell dust. On these races now I bought a universal Uni foam filter and now use that for my fresh air system. For what ever reason, foam just seem to catch more dost. To add..... the S&B partial separator is doing a great job also....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts