Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Interesting thread considering this subject has been a hot topic lately. Apparently you have not read any threads.

Reactions: Hunting721

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I always read the air filter threads when I see them but hadn't noticed they were a hot topic. Most of the stuff I see is on that Turnkey setup which I'm not interested in. I'm not to concerned about more power as much as I am about filtration. I really don't care much for the paper gauze stuff but the only info I ever got on the UNI foam filter awhile back wasn't very good. I think the problem was the air box didn't seal very well around it but there really wasn't that much info or many opinions. You'd think it wouldn't be difficult to get a good drop in filter for these things.

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
I always read the air filter threads when I see them but hadn't noticed they were a hot topic. Most of the stuff I see is on that Turnkey setup which I'm not interested in. I'm not to concerned about more power as much as I am about filtration. I really don't care much for the paper gauze stuff but the only info I ever got on the UNI foam filter awhile back wasn't very good. I think the problem was the air box didn't seal very well around it but there really wasn't that much info or many opinions. You'd think it wouldn't be difficult to get a good drop in filter for these things.
go to SDHQ and buy a silicone reducer, small piece of 4" tube and an AFE dry filter then make your own. I did and it works great for desert, but not good for any water. For AZ and Glamis i dont get into any water.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
What's wrong with the stock filter?
Mine has a two stage panel filter, second stage is oiled, like a Twin Air. I don't see how any dirt could get by it, plus, it does not rob power. If you take the pipe off the Throttle body, it'll make the same power as if it's got the complete stock filter setup in it. So botton line, there is no power in replacing the stock filter setup with anything else, filtering quality may be another story.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
go to SDHQ and buy a silicone reducer, small piece of 4" tube and an AFE dry filter then make your own. I did and it works great for desert, but not good for any water. For AZ and Glamis i dont get into any water.
I thought you fabbed your own box to run your filter? Never had any experience with AFE since with the dirt bikes I was all about oiling dual foam filters. If AFE is 'dry' then how would you clean it and how long does it last? Always thought those AFE were a gauze style like K&N.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
What's wrong with the stock filter?
Mine has a two stage panel filter, second stage is oiled, like a Twin Air. I don't see how any dirt could get by it, plus, it does not rob power. If you take the pipe off the Throttle body, it'll make the same power as if it's got the complete stock filter setup in it. So botton line, there is no power in replacing the stock filter setup with anything else, filtering quality may be another story.
Does this also hold true if you have replaced your stock exhaust to remove the cat?

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
I thought you fabbed your own box to run your filter? Never had any experience with AFE since with the dirt bikes I was all about oiling dual foam filters. If AFE is 'dry' then how would you clean it and how long does it last? Always thought those AFE were a gauze style like K&N.
i bought two filters and use an air compressor to blow them clean from the inside out. They are washable too if you get them really dirty. I would imagine you could get a few years out of one if nothing it rubbing up against the side of the outerwares.

Look at all of the big hp sandcars and see what they use, mostly a dry filter on the intake plenum or a UMP canister with dry filter. if it works for a 1200hp sand car it will work for out 101hp.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Yes, as most of us already know, exhaust doesn't add power either.
What I meant was if you have opened up the exhaust by removing the cat, will an intake help with any improvement?
Easier airflow in and easier exhaust out doesnt help performance?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
What I meant was if you have opened up the exhaust by removing the cat, will an intake help with any improvement?
Easier airflow in and easier exhaust out doesnt help performance?
Removing the cat, doesn't mean you have made the exhaust flow more. Adding a full Muzzy exhaust doesn't help power, so I don't think removing the cat will help either.
You can remove the hose going to the air filter box, and that doesn't help power, so there's no way that adding a filter will help power. The stock filter/box setup is more than adequate for a stock motor. There could, and probably will, be power in exhausts & filters when BBK's & stuff are added.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts