Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to Durham Town yesterday.I was riding ,on what they call their GP track.I put thirty miles on the maverick Saturday afternoon.I went out today, and on the 10 lap
I bent the passenger side tie rod on a jump.I was driving pretty hard.But it wasn't like I was jumping 5-6 feet in the air.It was more like 2-3 feet in the air.I do love the machine,but was a little disappointed that it bent so easy.Not to mention,no more riding until I order new ones.Has anyone used the Turnkey ones yet.Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
2019 max R turbo
835 Posts
That is a 1500 pound machine if you land wrong you better hope your tie rod bent and not tear something else up much more expensive like the rack. The Maverick rods are much stronger than most XP and commander but too strong and something else will break. Most people should just carry spares because you can fix them on the trail and keep riding.

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
i had a few hard hits on the last trip to Glamis i thought for sure i bent mine, but they are still straight. I think it takes a lot of pressure in just the right spot to bend them. I have two stock ones on order to carry with me.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
The maverick stock tie rods are hollow aluminum tubes !

For sure order sum aftermarket ones , I'm trying the turnkeys out now easy install solid aluminum rods ! And no drilling so u can keep your stock ones as spares and install if needed super easy or sell one on the trail for good money lol !!!

Sent from my maverick using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I will go ahead and straighten it.I will get some new ones on order.Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Is it true you have to spend 400.00 and get the a-arm also? Buddy bent one on commander and that's what he was told. Not sure if true or not but a dealer said can-am is starting to have liability issues now.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Not the a-arm, I think there were saying that for the Commander you would have to buy the whole rack assembly. That why people were just buying the up graded wicked built rack that comes with heavy duty tie rods.

If it can't play, it can't stay!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up hunting721.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Recommend the turn key ones. Recieved and installed them this weekend. Nice product so far...Handled the jumps and break in on the machine this weekend without issues. I think it is good advice to carry spares, especially if you drive long distances to get to your play destination! I will throw the stock ones in the motorhome....

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I haven't checked them out yet. I made up a set on my Rhino by using aluminum swedged tie rods from Speedway Motors, $12 each, hiems on each side, and I made adapters to the rack. The Mavs are probably metric, so I'd like to get the same tie rod tubes as I used before, and tap them out.

·
Registered
150 Posts
You will find the next weakest link...LoL

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yeap on the same boat bent and broke the Driver Side Link. The factory ones are pure junk really. I mean the should bend but not twist up like a wet noodle!! I had my local machinist make a couple of sets for me out of some thicker aluminum, still hollow though. I was surprised both ends are right handed. Anyways i bought the Tap and i am out only $200 bucks for a set of 2. So i kept the other stock junker and new set int the glove box for trail parts.

If they bend up to easy again I will go to light steel.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Not the a-arm, I think there were saying that for the Commander you would have to buy the whole rack assembly. That why people were just buying the up graded wicked built rack that comes with heavy duty tie rods.

If it can't play, it can't stay!
True. My dealer told me that can am won't sell just the tie rods. I don't know how Mega got some stock ones on order though, guess dealer is bull shitn me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts