Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
or I weld a couple tabs to the existing bent metal and try to pull it back into place and then either leave it and put the new skid plate on or also add something to strengthen it.
If it was me, I wouldn't want to chance welding into the tube and possible weaken it. I would bend what I could to as close to straight as possible and weld a 3/16 plate onto the existing plate staying away from the frame tubes with some drilled spot welding holes to keep everything held to each other. The 1/2 inch skid plate you will get will be strong enough so you just want to carry that impact zone through a bigger support area. I am not the best welder and my welder is crap so that's why I would personally never take the added risk to weaken the frame tube by welding into it. I would take it to a specialized welding shop to have it done if taking that approach.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
If it was me, I wouldn't want to chance welding into the tube and possible weaken it. I would bend what I could to as close to straight as possible and weld a 3/16 plate onto the existing plate staying away from the frame tubes with some drilled spot welding holes to keep everything held to each other. The 1/2 inch skid plate you will get will be strong enough so you just want to carry that impact zone through a bigger support area. I am not the best welder and my welder is crap so that's why I would personally never take the added risk to weaken the frame tube by welding into it. I would take it to a specialized welding shop to have it done if taking that approach.
I’m not the best either and my welder is no Lincoln.
I have a lot more rivets to drill out to get this stock skid plate off to be replaced. That’ll give me plenty of time to decide how to straighten that bitch out.

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
Now that I said I wouldn't myself weld into the frame tubes I did do that on the front bulkhead, but I was able to add outer and inner gussets to gain a lot of extra supports, so I felt ok doing that along with me adding a 3/8 steel center support to replace the thin tube. I also added the CT upper Frame support and the SATV lower frame support. I feel I have added a lot of strength so that's why I went ahead and welded into the tubes.
Eye Automotive tire Wood Art Automotive wheel system
Wood Automotive tire Rolling Gas Automotive exterior
Chainsaw Automotive tire Hand tool Handheld power drill Pneumatic tool
Automotive tire Wood Bumper Tread Road surface
Automotive tire Wood Bumper Automotive wheel system Trunk
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Bicycle part
Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior Bumper Engineering
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Engineering Auto part
Hood Automotive tire Automotive exterior Wood Rim
Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Train Rim

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Now that I said I wouldn't myself weld into the frame tubes I did do that on the front bulkhead, but I was able to add outer and inner gussets to gain a lot of extra supports, so I felt ok doing that along with me adding a 3/8 steel center support to replace the thin tube. I also added the CT upper Frame support and the SATV lower frame support. I feel I have added a lot of strength so that's why I went ahead and welded into the tubes.
View attachment 284728 View attachment 284729 View attachment 284730 View attachment 284731 View attachment 284732 View attachment 284733 View attachment 284734 View attachment 284735 View attachment 284736 View attachment 284737
That’s looks pretty sturdy. I have the CT front gusset kit sitting in the garage waiting for winter to install.

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
That’s looks pretty sturdy. I have the CT front gusset kit sitting in the garage waiting for winter to install.
That SATV lower frame support saved me from damaging my frame when I ripped off my lower S3 Arm along with snapping my upper ball joint. It only allowed my rear A Arm bolt to slightly bend that had a slight flex on front frame as that bolt goes through the tube. I was worried I had done some damage to frame, but I have not saw any signs beyond the initial paint flake. I am sure that if I didn't have that SATV lower frame support I would have had more damage done.
Wheel Tire Crankset Bicycle tire Automotive tire
Hood Wood Automotive tire Fender Bumper
Hand Leg Knee Wood Thigh
Hood Wood Human leg Vehicle door Thigh
Automotive tire Grey Snow Tints and shades Human leg

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
That SATV lower frame support saved me from damaging my frame when I ripped off my lower S3 Arm along with snapping my upper ball joint. It only allowed my rear A Arm bolt to slightly bend that had a slight flex on front frame as that bolt goes through the tube. I was worried I had done some damage to frame, but I have not saw any signs beyond the initial paint flake. I am sure that if I didn't have that SATV lower frame support I would have had more damage done.
View attachment 284738 View attachment 284739 View attachment 284740 View attachment 284741 View attachment 284742
I’ll look up and make sure the SATV lower is compatible with the CT gusset kit. Wanting to do everything at once when the front end is torn apart.

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
I’ll look up and make sure the SATV lower is compatible with the CT gusset kit. Wanting to do everything at once when the front end is torn apart.
It should as I have a mixture of CT gussets in my front, along with CA, and the bulk head from SATV bumper assembly. I did a mixture of all 3 using what looked like the best parts. CT upper frame support and CT Race plate. I also got longer bolts and cut them down to make the shoulder on the bolts fit perfectly. I put a lot of time into getting the front just right to hold up to what I will put it through.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
It should as I have a mixture of CT gussets in my front, along with CA, and the bulk head from SATV bumper assembly. I did a mixture of all 3 using what looked like the best parts. CT upper frame support and CT Race plate. I also got longer bolts and cut them down to make the shoulder on the bolts fit perfectly. I put a lot of time into getting the front just right to hold up to what I will put it through.
Sounds like you go hard af.

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
When it comes to UTV fabrication the first name I think of is Supersmith Fabrication.
I am glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read that as it would be all over my monitors. LMAO

• Haha
Reactions: Tmesic
21 - 31 of 31 Posts