Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

Bent rear bulkhead

4K views 30 replies 9 participants last post by  SUPERSMITH 
#1 ·
Rear end aggressively kissed a rock the other weekend. Gonna drill the stock xrc skid plate off and check the damage. Anyone else damage their x3 rear?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Search for a thread by Megadesertdiesel he found an overlay plate for the rear that he welded in to strengthen the rear bulkhead. Might help you with yours.

Tim

Reactions: HPnMORE4J
#3 ·
Search for a thread by Megadesertdiesel he found an overlay plate for the rear that he welded in to strengthen the rear bulkhead. Might help you with yours.

Tim

Tim
Thanks man. Everything I found online was ppl damaging their front bulkhead.

#5 ·
Ouch, was this high speed or low speed riding? Whenever you pull it apart can you post more pictures of the damage? Thanks
FYI, Just saw the other day Alsup makes a replacement rear bulkhead if yours is irrepairable. Not sure who else does
of course. Going to Hatfield in two weeks so prob won’t do it till I get home from that. It was low speed. Was a rock garden that I prob shouldn’t of been in.

#15 ·
Well got the back half skid plate off. Very thin metal under the rear diff. Was bent into the diff a little bit. Don’t see any damage to the casing. With a flat head I was able to bend it off the differential, it’s that than/weak. Debating on grinding it off and welding my own thicker metal underneath.

Attachments

#23 ·
Now that I said I wouldn't myself weld into the frame tubes I did do that on the front bulkhead, but I was able to add outer and inner gussets to gain a lot of extra supports, so I felt ok doing that along with me adding a 3/8 steel center support to replace the thin tube. I also added the CT upper Frame support and the SATV lower frame support. I feel I have added a lot of strength so that's why I went ahead and welded into the tubes.
Eye Automotive tire Wood Art Automotive wheel system
Wood Automotive tire Rolling Gas Automotive exterior
Chainsaw Automotive tire Hand tool Handheld power drill Pneumatic tool
Automotive tire Wood Bumper Tread Road surface
Automotive tire Wood Bumper Automotive wheel system Trunk
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Bicycle part
Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior Bumper Engineering
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Engineering Auto part
Hood Automotive tire Automotive exterior Wood Rim
Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Train Rim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.