Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wondering how many hours people are getting on there Belts/ and what type of riding you do? Are you in low or high most of the time? I have not had any problems with my Maverick, but friends 900xp 4 seater! He has put 4 belts on under 25hrs. He does a lot of trail /woods riding. He is being told not having it in low causes the belt to wear like this? I think the clutches are not enguaging correctly? any advice on changing belt and what to look at and inspect in general on our CVTs?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Only 2 belts blew from hard hot sand riding one At like 350 miles and other at 512 so far ! That's it

Sent from my maverick using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
468 Posts
Glamisfan is right. Running in high at low speeds doesnt allow the clutch to pinch the belt very hard. Which leads to slipping then leads to burning up belts.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Low also keeps the revs up, and that spins the cvt faster, which moves more air through the cvt. I've been preaching all week to my Rhino and Teyrx buddies to use low when we're canyon crawling, but they don't listen!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea rpms move they cvt out and engage it harder and create more air movement i agree and it makes sense, but his Xp and my Mav have been through pretty much the same abuse. It is just weird his has gone through so many belts and mine hasn't??? If sny thing i would have though mine would have gone through 1 by now i am a fierce right footer!! i really think he needs to change out the spring on his clutch to something other than stock

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
cool

·
Registered
21 Posts
He can adjust the "weights" of his clutch but its takes someone who knows what they are doing. Also there are after market clutches like Airdamn that "bite" harder and reduce slipping in the clutch belt. Which allows him to have the belts last longer. With the Mav I really havent had any belt issues there were a couple clutch bolt issues some people had but I havent heard of nearly as many problems with belts as they had in the past or in comparison to the other manufacturers.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I have my own theory about high/low range. I have over 600 miles on mine and some trails have been single trail and I never use low unless I'm on a hill in a complete bind. I think when using high the magic number is at least 10mph, just going by feel that's when I think the clutch has a good enough bite on the belt to not blow it or burn it up. Again this is just a theory and I have yet to have any belt problems

·
Registered
150 Posts
Where's the best place to buy an OEM belt ??

·
Registered
50 Posts
My Maverick belt disengrated while climbing the big dune at little Sahara Utah, It had 256 miles on it, and their was not a chunk bigger than 2 1/2 inches long. The belting/String wraped around the shaft and took out the transmission input seal.
MrChicken

·
Registered
150 Posts
What to do MrChicken ???

·
Registered
403 Posts
820 miles on the OEM belt on my Commander before i traded it in.

Low range used mostly in tight trails, hills, and rocks.

I only used high on main wide-open trails or through my neighborhood on the streets.

·
Registered
99 Posts
My stock belt exploded at 95 miles. It got broken in riding through light fluffy snow tho. Im thinking might have been sucking snow into the clutches and slipping, altho i never noticed it slip. Now i ride in low range under 30mph and pack a spare belt

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have my own theory about high/low range. I have over 600 miles on mine and some trails have been single trail and I never use low unless I'm on a hill in a complete bind. I think when using high the magic number is at least 10mph, just going by feel that's when I think the clutch has a good enough bite on the belt to not blow it or burn it up. Again this is just a theory and I have yet to have any belt problems
get low sport mode switch and youll never run in high again. unless you want to do 80mpg lol

·
Registered
78 Posts
Have just received my sports low and will be installing it in a few days time.

What is the main differences (besides speed ) between the H and L on the maverick?

I am using mine 90% in the sand and dunes, speeds of between 10 ~ 30 m/h typically, I normally use H as the engine is not laboring... Is this ok from a belt/ clutch live perspective or

Is it better to use L for this type of terrain? Do I just install my sports low, slap it in low with the sports low switched on and go for it or is there other considerations to keep in mind?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

1 - 17 of 17 Posts