Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding in the snow and hitting the brakes enough to lock the tires up doing about 20mph and when I did it seemed like I would hear the belt squeek for a split second? Is this normal or do I have a clutch issue (stock clutchs)

·
Registered
806 Posts
Sure it ain't your brakes squeeking right before they lock up?

·
Registered
548 Posts
My brakes are noisy all the time. In the snow, they freeze up and I have to pump them several times to get any sort of grab. Strangely, the only time they don't make noise is when they are frozen from snow riding.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, I have the brake squeel too but I think I hear the belt in there too

·
Registered
33 Posts
The belt shouldn't squeak when you slam on the brakes, because even under rapid deceleration the centrivocal force will slow down the belt gradually, so it should result in a slow deceleration of the belt. I would examine the brakes carefully, there's some friction there that you are probably not aware of.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I think what is happening is it is cold out and there is a lot of moisture in the air and you are pulling a lot of cold damp air and possibly some snow into the CVT so you are basically creating a mini sauna by introducing the cold damp air to the hot surfaces of the clutch sheaves and belt. So the belt may actually be slipping slightly due to the amount of moisture in the CVT.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for the info. I'm going to take it apart tonight and make sure I cant see anything wrong and while im in there I'll inspect the belt and clean the sheaves.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts