Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy! I am prepping my MT1K for a very busy fall and winter and appreciate all the posts and help here. Among other mods, I upgraded from the factory Carlisle tires to Tusk Terrabites. I upgraded to a 30Ah battery and added a decent jump battery. I added a spare wheel and tire. And I added a spare belt.

Next weekend I plan to practice changing the belt. I am a new SXS owner and never changed a drive belt before. Based on videos and other sources, it appears I need the Can Am Driven Pulley Extractor (529036352) and the Can Am Driven Pulley Adaptor (708200686). About $40 total.

Based on what I've read, it appears I can change the belt without these tools but it is more difficult. The cost is not an issue, I have a healthy recovery and repair kit and $40 is no biggie. I think blowing a belt is very low probability based upon my riding habits but I want to be prepared. Best case I replace a belt at the cabin on flat and dry ground. Worst case I replace a belt on a muddy or snowy trail or frozen lake.

I will post tips, tricks, and pics as I learn them ...but curious to know if I missed any posts or sage advice?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,055 Posts
Thats a smart move, its always good to know your machine and what tools you need to do certain tasks, I have a belt bag that holds a spare belt and the tools I need to remove the cover and change the belt, I have a total of 3 kits in my car for wrenches etc, makes it easier to get what you need

·
Premium Member
2,651 Posts
If I haven't done so already, welcome to the forum.

I took my clutch cover off and took the factory belt off at around 50 miles, just to practice. I replaced the stock belt (still looking good) at around 300 miles and replaced it with the Timken Extreme belt. So now I have an already broken in spare belt and all of the tools needed in a spare bet carry bag I have mounted on my lower passenger door.

From what I read your preperation plans sound solid. Tire plugs, first aid kit, other potentially needed tools. A change of warm clothes and food / water if your going way out and potentially overnight. GPS is a must if out blazing new / strange territory.
I go nowhere without a firearm.

I'm sure I've forgotten a few other essentials but I assume others will chime in.

Mist importantly, enjoy the ride, rubberside down.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
482 Posts
To the OP, have you checked your MavT toolkit to confirm the smaller special CVT belt tool wasn't included? Mine was there as was my buddy's MavT, however the cast aluminum tool was in my passenger side storage bin whereas said buddy didn't get one. My suspicion is that part is meant by Can-Am to be included but all too often left behind during dealer assembly prep since it won't fit inside the cheesy vinyl tool pouch.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Replacing the belt is not hard, but having the right tools makes it much easier. I got a cheap cordless 1/4 drive ratchet ( after narrowing Megaa on a ride) with a set of 1/4 drive torques sockets.
As stated in the last post check you factory tool kit for belt tool. I carry a few Penney's with me in the took bag. Put a penny between the bolt on the puller and your secondary so it does not chew up your secondary clutch when you compress it.
I start by taking the belt off the top of the secondary clutch first rotating it backwards(towards the back end off the car). Put it back: put it on your primary ( clutch in the front) first and then work the belt under the bottom of your secondary clutch. Rotate the secondary clutch forward (towards the front of the car) . This takes a little working back and forth to get the belt over the edge but just keep working it back and forth and it will go on. When you get it back on and the clutch tool removes spin the secondary counter clockwise so the secondary closes and the belt is up to the top of the clutch. All done.
Sorry if info seems to juvenile but when I did my first one ever there were a lot of steps not explained very well. So if you know it all just disregard. If it helps great. I will post a pic later of my tool set for changing the belt.
Your doing it right by doing it at home first good luck with all the upcoming fun.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks all!

The Driven Pulley Extractor (529036352) was included in my kit, but the Driven Pulley Adaptor (708200686) was not included.

DirtDawg, you are correct - the Adaptor should be included but mine was not, but I have shamed the stealership into a freebie! Also, the service manual you have repeatedly posted is insanely helpful.

EODAZ, thanks for the tips! A cordless ratchet may be in my future.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks!

Kombustion tool arrived today and will practice next weekend. Practiced with Can Am tools last weekend with decent success. Good to have options!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts