Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just curious if there is a good aftermarket belt to put in the Mav, or should I just go with OEM. Blew up the belt today, and ironically my first service message came up today too haha. I figured it would go as I concerned myself with engine break in over belt break in. Anyways, is there a good one or no?

·
Registered
17 Posts
How are u liking the new Mav? I don't now the answer to your question but I am also curious about it as I am just breaking in my maverick too and it was pulling 7900 rpm at accelerating all the way up to full speed now it only pulls around 7600 I think maybe from me being hard on the belt when brand new.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm quite liking it. I know I've been hard on the belt, doesn't help I put some bigger tires on it. I'm gonna re clutch and get some bigger tires for my 2nd set. Everything I've read, and even my co-worker used to work for BRP back in Newfoundland, the most common answer was to drive it like I stole it, which obviously would be hard on the belt. Personally I'd rather a strong running engine and replace a $140 belt, then the other way around haha. I did notice a bit of a whining or whistling though getting close to the end of the day, then the belt went haha. I havent' paid much attention to my RPMs because the trails out here are a lot of whoops and winding trails

·
Registered
17 Posts
I completely agree with your break in that what I did with mine too lol! How many miles did u get out of your first belt? Mine is starting to howl at slow speeds too

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got lucky, it went as we were heading back to the trucks. Was quite the day of carnage, we had a guy on a Raptor 700, just brought it home 2 days ago, went riding with him on my YFZ450 yesterday and he tagged along again today, he's rolled it close to a half dozen times already lol. Had a lady on a Honda Forman go over backwards, quad rolles about 8 times. Her and quad are shooken up but ok. Also had 2 Rzr 900s out, one was his first ride, blew his rear axle, and the other blew a tire lol. Lastly we had a Can Am Outlander 2up, fairly new, buddy let another guy ride it only to have it rolled... twice... fortunately all that was hurt today was some people's pride and some others wallets, but this is an oilfield town and most people have more money then brains hahaha

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Gates C-12 is half the cost of new and lots of folks have had good luck with them...myself included. I have been running one since July with zero issues.

·
Registered
395 Posts
After 1200 miles on the BRP 212 , I have decided to try the Gates C-12 Carbon Fiber my self for half the cost. Too early to tell yet only 200 miles so far. But very smooth belt.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll look at the gates c12 for sure. I've read around, it's a hit and miss on opinions, but for half the cost it's worth the consideration. We'll see how long it takes to blow and if it's short lived maybe I'll rock the BRP 212 and keep a gates as a backup/trail fix

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts