Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long are your belts lasting? Mine lasted 12 hours and 172 miles. It has been on easy trail rides. On one trip we did get it muddy from the trails after it rained. Nothing over the wheels just mud wholes on the trail. It broke at the dunes on a dune ride with my Kawasaki Teryx right behind it. So wasn't driving crazy fast. I was taking a easy line so the Teryx could stay with us. I had one adult and two children in the back seats. It's completely stock. It also broke the cover. Not a cheap repair.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I have just over 300 miles and 20 hrs on my Max, and so far so good. As a precaution to avoid premature wear, I did install a Dalton clutch kit to give the belt a fighting chance. So far so good. I've got 2 dune trips and about half a dozen trail rides on it now with no problems. I just took off the clutch cover to check the condition of the belt, and it still looks excellent. I have to think the clutch kit is helping a lot to limit slipping, heat, and wear. My hope is to go around 750 miles or so (at least) between belt changes, so we'll see what happens!

Looking forward to others' posts to see how everyone else is doing!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Thanks for the reply. What does the Dalton clutch kit consist of?
It's an adjustable recalibration kit including different primary flyweights, weight insert rivets (for tuning), and a different secondary spring. Done right, it holds the R's in the sweet spot for better performance and helps to limit slippage.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you do it yourself or have a local shop do it? Looks like I'm pretty close to you. I also could not find the kit on local shops website I normally go to. Where did you buy it? Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
446 Posts
How fast was you going since a teryx was behind you I'm assuming not very. Which brings the question was you in high or low?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
How fast was you going since a teryx was behind you I'm assuming not very. Which brings the question was you in high or low?
Wondering same thing.. maybe belt was building too much heat with the slow trail riding prior to the dunes trip or possible that is what happened at the dunes?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
206 Posts
Lugging around at low speeds in high range kills belts quickly. If your cruising around 30mph use low range. If you are going to be using low range a lot get sport low mod. It allows the machine to be in sport mode in low range and makes all the difference in the world. Really wakes machine up in low. My #1 must have mod IMHO.

Reactions: mearsman

·
Registered
1 Posts
I "seasoned " my belt when new,by warming it for 15 minutes then,a 20 minute cool down, three times. I hope this works because i spent a few trips a year at Dumont Dunes.Mine has 12 hours on it

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was going 40mph right before it went. I looked as I was going down
the bowl it broke as soon as I started up. I was in high gear at the time.
How fast can I go in low gear?

·
Registered
446 Posts
I was going 40mph right before it went. I looked as I was going down
the bowl it broke as soon as I started up. I was in high gear at the time.
How fast can I go in low gear?
Usually anything under 38-40mph I run low. I think most of us run low on that speed and lower.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have just over 300 miles and 20 hrs on my Max, and so far so good. As a precaution to avoid premature wear, I did install a Dalton clutch kit to give the belt a fighting chance. So far so good. I've got 2 dune trips and about half a dozen trail rides on it now with no problems. I just took off the clutch cover to check the condition of the belt, and it still looks excellent. I have to think the clutch kit is helping a lot to limit slipping, heat, and wear. My hope is to go around 750 miles or so (at least) between belt changes, so we'll see what happens!

Looking forward to others' posts to see how everyone else is doing!
I have 800 miles on the stock belt and I've never used low gear once. Did you notice any differences with the dalton kit? Like more hook down low? Or maybe loss of top end?

·
Registered
395 Posts
1200 hard miles, racing, drag racing, trail riding. 50 plus hrs. Changing it to the C 12 Gates Carbon to see if it is as reliable, because half the price.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I have 800 miles on the stock belt and I've never used low gear once. Did you notice any differences with the dalton kit? Like more hook down low? Or maybe loss of top end?
The Dalton Kit raises the engagement RPM a couple of hundred R's, and holds the engine in the meat of the power better. Shifting phase seems to hold well at about 7900 RPM's which is ideal. Supposed to stop a bit of the belt slip as well, and I think I'd have to agree. Haven't done a top end run yet, but I'm hoping it didn't hurt that any...it's not supposed to according to Dalton.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok just got back from the first trip to the dunes since replacing my last belt. This one made it 3 hours and 52 miles. Two hours of that was in the desert in low gear until I hit the washes and then I changed it to high gear. The other hour was in the dunes and it broke again. I took everyones advice(including Can-Am) and ran in low gear which sucks. It will only go 35 mph in the dunes and it will only go up small bowls. On the way back to camp on sand highway on flat ground. I stopped put it in high gear. I didn't get on it hard when taking off made it about 50 to 75 yards and belt broke.I'm not sure how ya'll getting around so well in the dunes with no problems. I still have my Teryx and I will be taking it to the dunes next trip.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Ok just got back from the first trip to the dunes since replacing my last belt. This one made it 3 hours and 52 miles. Two hours of that was in the desert in low gear until I hit the washes and then I changed it to high gear. The other hour was in the dunes and it broke again. I took everyones advice(including Can-Am) and ran in low gear which sucks. It will only go 35 mph in the dunes and it will only go up small bowls. On the way back to camp on sand highway on flat ground. I stopped put it in high gear. I didn't get on it hard when taking off made it about 50 to 75 yards and belt broke.I'm not sure how ya'll getting around so well in the dunes with no problems. I still have my Teryx and I will be taking it to the dunes next trip.
are u talking about a xp1-4 or a max ? lol

do u have sport low ?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts