Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have been researching on which machine to get. Rzr 900xp, 1000xp or the maverick xrs dps. I am going Saturday to drive all 3, and to make my decision. I have been reading a lot about belt issues on the maverick. It seems the motors and suspension, except for tie rods are solid. I will be riding this machine in water/mud, and on trails. Would hear be an issue with the belt for this type of riding in WV? I have seen a lot of posts about adding aftermarket blowers for the belts, but they were riding in the dunes. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks,
Travis

·
Registered
223 Posts
I personally don't know anyone with a Mav that is having belt issues. I have 700 trail miles on mine. I inspected mine last week and it looks brand new.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Im on 32" terminators, factory clutches and belts, and have yet to smoke one yet, riding dirt, trails, deep gumbo here in the delta, and even water and streams.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I think most belt issues are driver related. When going under 25mph for long periods make sure to use low range.

·
Registered
446 Posts
They was having clutch issues for awhile but that has been pretty much taken care if the dealer done the recall correctly. I ride live in wv and very happy with mine.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well if you think we have belt problems and I haven't had any yet and I own a max. I wouldn't go 1000xp just yet my buddy bought his took it to glamis without paddles and went through 4 belts. Given he was a new driver, but still 4 belts that's a lot of dough it was an 1000xp 4. Given he said it was a beast when the belts weren't breaking. Wait a year if your going to go with the xp 1000 they will iron it out as for me no belt problems and has been pretty reliable overall would buy a maverick again .

·
Registered
9,352 Posts
Belts breaking has more to do with the driver than anything. I do not think adding a blower to any of the CVT systems is going to help you save belts. I think both the Maverick and XP1000 get plenty of fresh air flow into the belt area and have good ducting to get the hot air out.

The 4 seaters are pushing a lot of weight and then you add a driver that never lets up and you are going to snap belts. The XP1000 2 seater and the Maverick 2 seater really do not have belt problems. Most of the belt breaking seems to occur in the dunes more than any other riding area.

You do not have to drive these things like you are an 80 year old gradma, but you do have to use some common sense on when to let up on occassion.

I would not worry about the belt issue as to me it really is a non-issue, that has been magnified by the various forums.

Go test drive them and buy the one you like.

·
Registered
310 Posts
770 mile on the stock belt/clutches had zero issue. I ride the hell out of my 13 XRS spent one weekend in the mountains of WV riding 100 miles a day and didn't have a problem. Never pulled the cover off my belt and it still pulls 77 mph. I also road ride and can cover 100 miles in a day at an avg speeds of 50 mph plus. I'll say I know the Mavericks had some issues with clutch bolts in the beginning but they have had no where near the issues of the XPee1000's. If your looking to buy go get a Jagged X if your not going to buy a Maverick or give them 6 months to a year to work out the issues they are having with the 1000's... Sand Shark is going to disagree but he is a POPO guy, trolling on a Maverick forum so you can take him with a grain of salt!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Yeah I basically bought a CVT blower BC I ride mostly Dunes and have been paranoid about blowing a belt. After 600+ Miles I have yet to blow one... Stock Clutches... Also I do now let it idle when I get done riding for a min or 2 to help let the CVT area cool.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Belts breaking has more to do with the driver than anything. I do not think adding a blower to any of the CVT systems is going to help you save belts. I think both the Maverick and XP1000 get plenty of fresh air flow into the belt area and have good ducting to get the hot air out.

The 4 seaters are pushing a lot of weight and then you add a driver that never lets up and you are going to snap belts. The XP1000 2 seater and the Maverick 2 seater really do not have belt problems. Most of the belt breaking seems to occur in the dunes more than any other riding area.

You do not have to drive these things like you are an 80 year old gradma, but you do have to use some common sense on when to let up on occassion.

I would not worry about the belt issue as to me it really is a non-issue, that has been magnified by the various forums.

Go test drive them and buy the one you like.
Say what you want 4 belts in 4 days is a a lot of belts regardless of the driver. I'm new to the cvt system and have yet to have belt problems. I have another buddy that has a rzr 4 900xp and 800 and drove them like $hit and has never had a belt problem. There is a belt issue I don't care what you say, I am not biased all I'm sayin is give polaris a year to iron out the bugs that's it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info guys. I know on forums, most people only post when there is a problem, but after reading it over and over I was a little concerned. As mentioned, most of the issues were coming from people riding in the dunes. I have already put together a good price I think on the 14 xrs dps in white. $17100 OTD, but wanted to give the other machines a chance. I currently have a king quad 750 with power steering that has been a good machine. So the stock clutches should be good as well?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I run the Stock clutches and haven't had an issue with them. I ride Mostly Oregon Dunes and Also some woods, I'm very pleased with my Base Maverick... I'm also considering some aftermarket Clutches as I keep hearing how much better they shift or put down more HP to the rear wheels, but Really I'm pleased with the stockers. I can climb any Dune and also it just straight rips in the woods.

·
Registered
9,352 Posts
Say what you want 4 belts in 4 days is a a lot of belts regardless of the driver. I'm new to the cvt system and have yet to have belt problems. I have another buddy that has a rzr 4 900xp and 800 and drove them like $hit and has never had a belt problem. There is a belt issue I don't care what you say, I am not biased all I'm sayin is give polaris a year to iron out the bugs that's it.
Yes there have been xp1000 four seaters blowing belts in the sand. It does not seem to be a problem other then in the sand for the 4 seater. You admitted your friend was a new driver, which probably compounded the issue. Yes, it sucks he took out 4 belts, but ask yourself how was he driving it when the belts blew.

Don't think for a second the other 4 seaters have not blown belts in the dunes. I spoken to others that have taken out belts on Max's and Wildcat X 4 seaters in the sand. I have also have a friend with a Wildcat X 4 seater that has no issue in the dunes. I think the belts going on the 4 seater is a combination of the extra weight and driver.

Has your friend received the new helix from Polaris? I know Polaris has been dealing with the 4 seater and released a new helix for the clutch, which appears to have resolved the issue for the sand guys. Others have gone with clutch kits.

I believe the orginal poster was looking at 2 seaters and neither the Maverick or XP1000 have glarring issues with blowing belts.

Like I said go test drive them and buy the one you like. I could care a less which one he buys, as long as he is happy with the purchase.

The banter between myself and others on this forum is just in fun. I will ride with all the brands and at the end of the day we all have fun.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a four month old XXC, all stock with 2000 miles. Original belt; it is worn, but still going. Going to replace it now before it breaks and keep it as back up. I ride pretty hard and did 3/4 of mileage riding Hatfield McCoy trails over four trips this winter. If you don't abuse the belt and run it hot, use low range appropriately, the belt should last.

Benoit

·
Registered
310 Posts
Sand Shark we all ride with other rigs. Not a single person on here is going to load up their rig and go home if a different brand shows up. But we also don't try to make up for our preferred company's down falls (Can-am's tie rods, old style clutch bolts, three wheel drive!). The XP1000 has so many issues trying to jump on every post that is on the Maverick forums and defend the XPee1000 is really getting old. Go play on the RZRforums for a while come back in few months when POPO has the fires put out on the XPee1000....

60277_799675330062349_1589020356_n.jpg 1236892_795198450507688_1176264806_n.jpg 1798548_795192930508240_1226039930_n.jpg 1972446_795192620508271_515649508_n.jpg ImageUploadedByRZRForums.net1385827603.792270.jpg

Reactions: maddmaxx

·
Registered
9,352 Posts
Rednot - you got it I will post on another forum just for you. I am not here to defend Polaris. I think you are mistaking banter between myself, Benzo and a few other for something more than banter and having a good time.

I am here because I have friends with Mavericks and I like to see what you guys are doing to improve them.

When someone ask an opinion on belt issues, don't you think it would be nice for him to hear real world vs. what he reads on the internet.

Reactions: eez and Cain

·
Registered
310 Posts
I think it is fair to say your always on here pushing the XP1000... Fair enough you own one... But remember this is a Maverick forum. If someone wants to know about a Polaris my advise is for them to look to get answers from a polaris group or forum. I don't go over and post all over the Rzr or Wildcat forums blowing up every post that has the word Maverick in it. If people want information about a Maverick I'll be happy to give them what information I have or try and direct them to someone with more knowledge with them, but not on another site that isn't based on the product I own or that they promote. As for the miss information I could care less if people post that a Canned Ham is a rolling pile that smokes belts on another forum. I would hope most people would be smart enough to use some common sense when reading information, and to what the location an resource that this information comes from.

I'll jump off my soup box now and leave the bitching to Mega as he is the King around here at it and we are glad he is back!

·
Registered
548 Posts
I consider my spare belt to be ornimental. No issues here!

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
I think u will see the quality of the 2 machines when u go drive them the xp1 does look pretty badass but when u look closer u really just see bad not badass LOL

and sandy is a good sport , :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have 900 miles on stock belt and clutches in Terran like what you are talking about. No problems yet. I am from Ohio but been to HM.
I have not spent much time driving either the 900XP or the 1000Xp and can not speak on belt issues. My area it is 5 to 1 Poopoo over the Mav. From watching both XPs in the woods, mud, and hill climbs in my area the 900XP goes better than the 1000XP. It is almost like the 1000XP is over suspended and is to long.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts