Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was out riding, went up a rut maybe 18" high when I gave it gas to climb over it it started smoking from under the passenger side pretty bad, only gas it for 5 or 6 seconds.

Ive noticed it no longer has a smooth take off kind of jumpy, one going its ok.

I havnt pulled the cover off figured with the clutch recall I will just take it in and let them fix it then order a clutch kit for it.

I did stop by the dealer the other day and asked if mine was on the recall they said it was on the list to take a look at they would have to see it to know if it needed the kit.

I told them to order the kit and I would take it in when they got it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should mention it had 30 miles when this happened not it has 40.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Sounds like you slipped the belt and maybe burnt it. I would definitely replace the belt before it shreds.

·
Registered
424 Posts
You definitely slipped the belt. When the primary spins on the belt for that amount of time it cuts a notch in it. That's where you are getting the jerky feeling from.

·
Registered
711 Posts
climbing up steep ruts, or up slow hills in high range = bad idea. too much load on the stock clutch will slip the belt like that. when you slipped the belt, the primary is spiinning, and the belt is sitting still, this burns a flat spot in the belt. when the belt smokes, you burnt it good, and burned a flat spot in the belt. so when you take off now, every time that flat spot rolls over the primary you feel the jerk. you have two options, you can continue to run that belt, and maybe within 100-200 miles depending on how bad the flat spot is, you can wear the belt back smooth. as a belt wears down, it will eventually wear down back smooth. but for the next hundred miles more more you'll have a jerky enggement. or you can replace the belt and get back to smooth again.

when you are slow going, and creeping around, ESPECIALLY when you are climbing things, you CAN NOT run high range. high range is a belt slipper when you are trying to climb something at slow speeds

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To be honest I can not remember if I was in hi or low range at the time.

More then likely I was in high range because of the no sport mode in low. I sent you a PM about getting the kit.

·
Registered
468 Posts
To be honest I can not remember if I was in hi or low range at the time.

More then likely I was in high range because of the no sport mode in low. I sent you a PM about getting the kit.
Install the Sport Low harness . You will not regret it !

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I agree I am ordering it and the clutch

·
Registered
468 Posts
Yes I agree I am ordering it and the clutch
There are a few different ones out there. Order the one Glamis posted. Theres a link in a thread somewhere on the forum. Theres a few floating around on ebay but they require you to splice into one of your lines. The one Glamis posted about (and the one I have) is strictly plug an play, no splicing. Its 190.00 on ebay.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts