Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent some hours searching and i couldent find anything applicable to my issue.

I have a 2019 x3 XRS MAX with now about 500 miles on it.

Since day one I noticed i could hear the belt spinning at idle in park and neutral. As i put miles on the vehicle it became hard to shift and most time had to put it in eco mode to drop the rpm to get it to shift. Never had gears grind when putting it in gear though. After talking to my original dealer , some research and taking to local dealer, we decided to replace the primary clutch one way bearing. After replacement, vehicle sounded, shifted and preformed just like out other units we have. But now after a couple hundred miles the belt is spinning in park/neutral and it is starting to get hard to shift. I dont want to bring it back to the local dealer because of a hack repair they tried doing without my approval on another issue. I wanted a machine with a warranty and relearned that, same with my cars, i cant let anyone work on my toys but me.

Any ideas of what the issue could be? another one way bearing ( should i go sealed bearings?), primary clutch issues? i hate to think an intake leak or tuning issue, because it ran fine for a couple hundred miles

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
Its the clutch again ? If they actully replaced anything or cleaned it up and relube’d it I think kwi has a kit and bearings that should fix it

Reactions: AZSteele

·
Premium Member
7,869 Posts
could be clutch alignment or dirty sticking clutch. I would start by pulling clutch cover and using a air hose to blow dust out while revving the engine. After that, pull primary and check TWO way bearing, one way was old mavericks. The bearing is under $30 rockymountain atv. Make sure you buy new fiber washers for either side of the bearing when and if you replace it. Could be your belt, swap a new one on a see. Wouldn't hurt to have an already broken in belt in your tool kit.

after all that you need to contact the professionals, //Airdam Adam is the man. Your clutch may be out of alignment and may need machining of the secondary to align belt so it rides in the middle of the primary.

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts
While you have the belt off clean both pulleys. I use the red 3M scrub pads. But at only 500 miles, your pully's should be clean (unless you've smoked the belt).

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply's. Pulling it apart to inspect it myself was the next step. Wouldn't think the belt would be an issue but ill replace that anyway. All the x3's in our group run infrared belt temp gauges and im running within 10* of them. but not sure if that even means anything.
I may as well find the procedure to check alignment as well. Is there anything in the primary i can pay attention to that may contribute to the problem? I come from the manual transaxle and auto trans world so im slowly learning about the utv clutching systems.
If it is the one/two way bearing what could be causing it to fail? just lube? or??? just crazy that our 2018 xrs and other 2019 xrs hasn't had any clutch/belt issues.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Mine did the same. Pulled the cover and cleaned the sand out and was fine.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Mine did the same thing after the first time out. Dealer had to take the clutch completely apart, they said the weights just stuck open for some unexplained reason. It has worked fine since. They said the belt was fine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I blew out the clutches with compressed air and so far it has helped. never helped before the bearing replacement but whatever. I anticipate the issue coming back, so some tools are on order for teardown and inspection the next time it occurs

·
Registered
2020 Maverick X3 MAX XRS TURBO RR
315 Posts
I have 100 miles on my 2020 XRS MAX. At idle some times it's nice and quiet and then I hear a whining noise. Also today while moving the machine around my property, it was so hard to shift gears from say reverse to neutral or from low gear to anywhere else. I haven't inspected for dirty clutch but I guess that's what I'll be doing next. I only have 100 miles on it though

1 - 9 of 9 Posts