Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On third ride the belt ignited on my Maverick XMR 1000. Dealership and BRP denied claim.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sorry to hear about your experience, I am sure you will get you plenty of responses.

We are in Melbourne, where do you guys ride at?

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Sorry to hear about that......can you elaborate on what happened. Where where you riding how many miles were on it. What type of riding conditions was it in.....is your Maverick stock?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
being a brand new poster with a issue right off the bat, you may want to explain a little more, to many people come on to try and make something and turns out to be not true or an attempt by some of the other brand sxs boys to make up something to try and keep a hold on there brand of sxs and do negative attention to canam. NOT saying this is the case with you, but explain a little more if you would.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, sorry was working and had to stop. My Maverick has 16.6 hours and 153 miles. The belt ignited, this was on the third ride. I took it to Central Florida Powersports and they informed me it had water in it and it would cost between $550.00 and $750.00 and BRP denied the claim. I asked to photograph the parts and they denied and sent my Maverick in pieces home. I called BRP, they had a claim but were never given photos. There is absolutely no evidence of water at all. There is dust from use. The disassembled the secondary. BRP informs me I have to take to another dealer before they will talk with me about my unit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now I have to take my Maverick to Ocala to another dealership for review. To compound matters, not all the parts are in the box Central Florida Powersports sent home with the unit. I am concerned the belt ignited because of all the power the unit delivers to the ground and the clutch generates so much heat.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SMT clutch appears to be a nice fix but at $2,100 it doesn't seem fair after what I paid for unit and only being able to ride three times. I ride at Suburban Estates in Holopaw and being towed in three miles can ruin the day. Not to mention the thing is way too loud inside and desperately needs extended fender flares, sound prevention, and now weak clutch.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
To get the belt hot enough to ignite it would have to be way beyond the belt's perameters. I would have thought the belt would have blown apart long befor there was enough heat to cause ignition. SMH....

Reactions: bulldogs101

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Now I have to take my Maverick to Ocala to another dealership for review. To compound matters, not all the parts are in the box Central Florida Powersports sent home with the unit. I am concerned the belt ignited because of all the power the unit delivers to the ground and the clutch generates so much heat.
can you expound on what exactly you are calling "igniting". Are you saying the belt burst into flames or did you mean the belt came apart and basically exploded into a bunch of pieces? A belt will typically come apart at temps around 280-300'F. To ignite, you would need to find the flash point of the rubber compound and internal belt materials to determine what temps are needed for it to catch fire.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
If the belt blew... I would guess from abuse. Abuse meaning either running at slow speeds (under 30 mph in high gear) and or improper break in of the belt. I have blown 1 belt in over 1300 miles due to abuse (I hammered it all day in the dunes at Pismo). I just returned from a 5 day trip to Glamis with several sand cars and rode it hard the whole time, but stopped for periodic cool off's (with the oem clutch). Not so much as a hint of a belt problem. The clutch in not weak, but you do need to let it cool down once in a while, particularly under heavy load conditions such as riding in sand, and or slow trail riding in the wrong gear. Just my (and many others) experience.

Reactions: bulldogs101

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Sounds like a dealer problem. Find a good one.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Find a new dealer !

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
never ever heard of a belt igniting... now if rode wrong, or say you was very slow trying to climb a rock back, even a 6-9 inch face one, in high gear from stop, it sure could smoke like crazy with wheels spinning, you may think its on fire, but its not.

·
Registered
367 Posts
He rides with us so I can vouch for the story.
We bought our MR's at the same time.
The belt exploded at 158 miles.
We ride hard and fast but we also take lots of beverage breaks.
I've seen the machine and the cvt shows zero signs of water intrusion.

Since he posted this thread BRP has contacted him and told him to bring the machine back to the dealer for a full repair under warranty.

Amazing what the threat of a lawsuit will accomplish.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Where we ride it's all flat sandy ground.
No rocks
No hill climbs

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
in any case, glad your going to get it dealt with. bought a new truck 4 months back, spent 2 weeks in shop after 3 days of owning it. never been back again, a faulty radio was the issue, but finding issue took forever. get it fixed and ride the shit out of it, always good to find any crap out when its warranty...lol.. enjoy your ride and welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I agree with what bulldogs101 stated. Big difference between igniting and exploding. Proper break in of the belt can have a lot to do with the belt life. Where you there during the first 30 minutes or so of use when he first bought it to know how the belt was broken in?

Also, glad to hear BRP is taking care of him......sounds like a case of a piss poor dealership if you ask me.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts