Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the sport and new to the forum! Got rid of a Yamaha YFZ 450 and picked up an XRS in September 2013 and so far so good... until today.

Took the mav to the end of the block and on my way back (40-50mph) heard/felt a loud pop-noise followed by a terrible grinding sound along with smoke coming out of from the bottom of the maverick. Immediately let off the gas, pulled over and towed it back to the house I figured the belt snapped, but after doing some research on this forum I've come to the conclusion that it could also be many other things that could be damaged as well. (i.e. The CVT cover cracking, primary bolt popping out, etc.)

The weekend before I took it through some deep mud and water (about 2-2.5ft deep) and was in High gear for the entire ride. (I then learned that in the tough muddy situations I ought to switch to Low gear.) Brought it home and drove it back and forth in my lake in about 2-2.5 ft. of water to get rid of the majority of the mud. Here are some photos of how I brought the maverick back home and the pre-cleaning process!

View attachment 7580 View attachment 7578 View attachment 7579 View attachment 7581 View attachment 7582

The day after this expedition just driving it around my neighborhood I felt some slipping of the clutch when taking off or switching to and from park, reverse, high, low gears. I was told by someone with much more knowledge on these toys that the slipping could have been the excessive water I put the maverick through the day I went mudding and the day after when I stuck it in the lake.

Today when the belt snapped, there was debris throughout the maverick as seen below. I noticed two different belt sizes in the debris.. To my knowledge there was only 1 belt? Anybody know why there are 2 different width/teeth patterns in the belts seen below in my hand? Also, does anybody know what that fuzzy stuff in my hand with the shredded belt pieces could be?

View attachment 7574

I dropped the maverick off at the shop today to get the machine looked at.. Does anybody have any recommendations as to what belt I should replace the snapped one with? I was under the misconception that a snorkel was for the engine intake and someone today explained to me that it was in-fact to get air to the CVT box? (someone please shed some light as I am fairly new to these belt driven toys) Are there any upgrades I ought to look into that will keep this from happening to me, keeping in mind the riding conditions in Miami, Fl (excessive water and mud everywhere you go)? Would a snorkel help? Would upgrading my secondary and primary help?

Any general advice/constructive criticism/upgrade suggestions regarding the issues that I am having would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
the different teeth are from the front and back of the belt. the fuzzy stuff is shreaded belt. Always use low when possible, when you take off do it quickly , as the belt is slipping. keeping mud and water out of the clutch will keep it running, seal the cover and snorkle it if your going to get her wet. and clean and check it often if you can't keep it dry and carry an extra belt.

·
Registered
28 Posts
longer life out of clutches

a snorkel will help if your in deep water n mud all the time
make sure you r using the proper range tho
other clutches will also help belt issues
as well as a blower in the cvt tube

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the different teeth are from the front and back of the belt. the fuzzy stuff is shreaded belt. Always use low when possible, when you take off do it quickly , as the belt is slipping. keeping mud and water out of the clutch will keep it running, seal the cover and snorkle it if your going to get her wet. and clean and check it often if you can't keep it dry and carry an extra belt.
Thank you! Is replacing a belt something that is easily done while out in the middle of trail riding?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
a snorkel will help if your in deep water n mud all the time
make sure you r using the proper range tho
other clutches will also help belt issues
as well as a blower in the cvt tube
Thanks! Would you happen to know of a cvt blower that works well with these machines by any chance? is the blower a device that is switch operated or an intake style of system?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
ya the belt blew from driver error , just get a new oem belt keep the intakes out of water and mud and use low gear, look into the sport low switch it gives u 100% throttle in L instead of 40%, just don't stab the throttle in nasty thick mud or when the tires are binded up u will smoke the belt again , a lot of power and tq in these and the cvts have a hard time !

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Thank you! Is replacing a belt something that is easily done while out in the middle of trail riding?
It's not hard as long as you have the right tools, and aren't laying in mud. You need to do the procedure in the comfort of your own garage at least once and get familiar with what it takes. Sooner or later you'll probably have to replace the rubber band out in the field, and it's going to help a bunch to know what you need to do.

Reactions: bulldogs101

·
Registered
206 Posts
Get the sport low range mod and use low when driving thru mud and water,or climbing hills, pulling trailer etc. driving In high with that much load on your mav is what killed your belt. It cost you a belt to learn that lesson but that's the same way most ppl learn. OEM belt seems to be best

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ya the belt blew from driver error , just get a new oem belt keep the intakes out of water and mud and use low gear, look into the sport low switch it gives u 100% throttle in L instead of 40%, just don't stab the throttle in nasty thick mud or when the tires are binded up u will smoke the belt again , a lot of power and tq in these and the cvts have a hard time !
Thank you Benzo. Articbomb sport low mod seems to be the most popular on here. I would assume it is an easy install?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's not hard as long as you have the right tools, and aren't laying in mud. You need to do the procedure in the comfort of your own garage at least once and get familiar with what it takes. Sooner or later you'll probably have to replace the rubber band out in the field, and it's going to help a bunch to know what you need to do.
Thanks Andy. Did you purchase your Articbomb sport low switchless harness on ebay?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Get the sport low range mod and use low when driving thru mud and water,or climbing hills, pulling trailer etc. driving In high with that much load on your mav is what killed your belt. It cost you a belt to learn that lesson but that's the same way most ppl learn. OEM belt seems to be best
Cool. Thanks eez. Hopefully the next lesson will not cost me as much!:disappointed:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Check parker Yamaha for best price on OEM belt. I usually change belt once a year anyways for piece of mind, unless I slip it or feel it losing mph then I go ahead and change it. I always keep a spare on hand. Shit happens

·
Registered
2,963 Posts

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Thank you Benzo. Articbomb sport low mod seems to be the most popular on here. I would assume it is an easy install?
no prob ! - I have the artic bomb and installed from underneath , just remove center skid plate and u can reach up and get to the plug super easy ! there is sum pics on here somewhere but he sends instructions to!

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
wow....after reading your writeup, it sounds like you broke just about every cardinal rule out there and only ended up with a blown belt......sounds like everyone chimed in and got you lined out....enjoy the ride and keep water out of your clutches!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts