Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it looks like the little lady is going to get me/us paddles for the Mav for my Bday, she is getting 26x12.5x12 8 paddle Skats. I have no idea what wheels to get. Do I need to run a beadlock or can I run a normal wheel? I dont want to drop a ton of cash and get the best thing out there, I am perfectly happy with an average wheel that will work on the mav. I also have no idea what offset. Will a 12x8 wheel work fine with these paddles? Maybe I should just look for a stock set of rear wheels to mount them on? Sorry for so many questions, my brain hurts from reading all the stuff on wheels and tires.....

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I bought a set of factory Maverick take-off's to run my sand tires on. I am running 2" wheel spacers so I didnt want to remove them for a different offset rim. If you buy aftermarket rims your offset will be determined by whether or not you want a wider stance. Factory rear offset is around 6/2, so you can go 5/3 or 5/5 in the rear to get a little extra width

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Mega! I like those wheels, nice price too! Desertdog, thanks for the info. The wheels I am looking at on the .50 caliber website shows the offset of 4/4, will that be a wider stance? It doesn't matter to me if it is wider or not, I'm fine with it the way it is stock, but I want to know what the difference would be with 4/4. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
502 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Mega, what are you torquing the beadlock bolts to on your .50 cal rims? I mounted mine up yesterday but I was wondering what you torqued yours to? Definitely a great wheel for the price, thanks for the heads up on them! I was bummed they only had 1 powdered black rim in the 12x8 .190, so I had to get the polished ones. Looks like I will be making a trip to get them powdered after the Halloween trip.

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
Hey Mega, what are you torquing the beadlock bolts to on your .50 cal rims? I mounted mine up yesterday but I was wondering what you torqued yours to? Definitely a great wheel for the price, thanks for the heads up on them! I was bummed they only had 1 powdered black rim in the 12x8 .190, so I had to get the polished ones. Looks like I will be making a trip to get them powdered after the Halloween trip.
thats one thing i forgot to ask him. I am still waiting on my tires, so i have not needed the info just yet. The stock mav beadlocks are 71 inch pounds.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Here's what I did. I went this route since my Mav is clutched for the stock big horns tires and I got a smokin deal.

Attachments

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thats one thing i forgot to ask him. I am still waiting on my tires, so i have not needed the info just yet. The stock mav beadlocks are 71 inch pounds.
Ted at .50 caliber said to torque between 10 and 12ft lbs. So basically twice of the stock wheels. Does that sound right?

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
Ted at .50 caliber said to torque between 10 and 12ft lbs. So basically twice of the stock wheels. Does that sound right?
i would stay at 10ft puonds, the bolts are metric and a little smaler than 1/4" that OMF uses. DEFINETLY use neverseize.

here is what OMF says for theirs.

3. Place the outer beadlock clamp ring on the tire, aligning it with the bolt holes in the inner beadlock ring.
4. Before installing the hardware, lubricate the beadlock bolts with anti-seize or equivalent lubricant to prevent gaulding of the threads.
5. All bolts should be started by hand to avoid cross threading. Impact wrenches are not recommended for installing or tightening bolts, due to the
possibility of over or under tightening.
6. Tighten the bolts in a criss-cross pattern, a few turns at a time, to ensure even pressure on the bead lock clamp ring. Follow the instructions below
for exact torque specs for your wheel:
6”, 8”, 9”, 10”, 11”, and 12” Beadlocks (1/4-20 Grade 8 Bolt)
Tighten all of the bolts to 4 - 6 ft/lbs. Check that the tire is still centered on the rim at this point.
Tighten all of the bolts to 10 - 12 ft/lbs. Continue to step #7
9. Beadlocks are not maintenance free. After the first 100 miles of driving, and every subsequent 250 miles, you will need to re-torque the beadlock
bolts. To re-torque the beadlock bolts, raise the vehicle and remove the valve core from the valve stem, releasing all of the air from the tire. In a
criss-cross pattern confirm that all of the beadlock bolts are torqued to the correct specification as listed above. Repeat process for every wheel.
Furthermore, the beadlock hardware on every wheel should be replaced annually, whenever new tires are mounted, or after extreme use.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info Mega. I slapped them together last night and used neverseize. I ended up torquing them to 8 ft/lbs. I was getting a little nervous with that small bolt so I called it good at 8. Just need to slap my TurnKey tie rods on this weekend and I will be ready for our first trip!

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I use the old 2x4 method. Didnt know Harbor Frieght had a bead breaker. Thanks Mike, I'll go check that out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts