Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does it hurt the computer or anything else if I was to put a battery disconnect master switch on the Mav, and shut it off when I am not going to run the Mav for a few days? I did a search and came up dry. lol

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. Already have a switch, thanks though.
My Renegade drains the battery consistently with no accessories (all stock) in about a month of not starting it. Has done that since new. Just thinking ahead, if I wasn't sure I was going to run the Mav for a week or 2 I would throw the disconnect switch. Just wanted to make sure it would not hurt the computer or reset something if I left it off for say a month.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I know a old post but didnt want to post a new one and get jumped by the "Search" police...lol
Any one install one? Are there any issues with installing the battery disconnect switch??

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
I know a old post but didnt want to post a new one and get jumped by the "Search" police...lol
Any one install one? Are there any issues with installing the battery disconnect switch??
congrats

Yes you can install one and turn off the power when not in use. I would caution you to wait for the dash to power down completely before cutting the power. I have installed one on each sxs I have owned.

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
I'm here reading this post literally because the battery on my truck is dead. Reading to kill time while on the charge... It didn't survive 3 days of cold. Time to change I guess.

On my X3, I put a constant charger. No worries about not using it for weeks or months.

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
If you do install a switch its best to put it on the negative side of the battery , cut the ground ,just like changing a battery always disconnect the ground first

Reactions: HPnMORE4J

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I would advise anyone who has fairly new batteries draining quickly to test for a parasitic draw otherwise you're defeating yourself with a tender.

·
Registered
133 Posts
congrats

Yes you can install one and turn off the power when not in use. I would caution you to wait for the dash to power down completely before cutting the power. I have installed one on each sxs I have owned.
I know you always have the switch on black (negative)...Does it make any difference if switch is on red or black? Just personal preference?
Blue Sea switch reviews says to install it on red..so it says in their brochure

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
When you remove a battery from a car you should disconnect the negative terminal first and then the positive. As soon as you disconnect the negative terminal there is no way you can accidentally short the battery when removing the positive terminal. As far as kill switches go it really doesn't matter because either terminal will kill power from the battery.If you put it on the positive terminal the battery negative terminal is still connected to the chassis of the car so if anything conductive comes in contact with the positive terminal and the chassis it will short the battery.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts