Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called the DNR and they are sending me a replacement registration tag so I need to figure out how to prevent this from happening again.
Would wire wheeling off all the paint and spraying the plate with high temp paint solve the issue? Do I need to run a heat shield on the back of the plate?
What are you guys doing for license plates and mounting locations?

·
Premium Member
13,613 Posts
I never understood the blacking out of a license? The whole world can see it while you're driving.

Anyhow, Arizona plates are different than wherever you're from. Our plates have the registration sticker, and off road sticker right on them. I bought off Amazon some clear 2mm I believe vinyl. Put it over the plate, no more issues. Just wipe the vinyl off with some Windex.

Your exhaust tip seems set back more than most I've seen. I would check the muffler bracket, it has a little bit of play / adjustment in it before you tighten it up. The further out it is more air flow grabs the exhaust and you have less chances of cooking a plate. Ask me how I know, LOL!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Trolling on monday for shits and giggles, I get it.
Move it from the location that is meant for a license plate? Where is yours mounted?
I'm really thinking it was a shit paint job on the plate that caused the whole issue. I like Hollywoods idea of the vinyl covering.

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
Trolling on monday for shits and giggles, I get it.
Move it from the location that is meant for a license plate? Where is yours mounted?
I'm really thinking it was a shit paint job on the plate that caused the whole issue. I like Hollywoods idea of the vinyl covering.
Vinyl and heat from an exhaust sounds like an excellent idea. Maybe put a gas can there too. LOL!

Just move your plate to a different location or you will continue to have the problem.

·
Premium Member
13,613 Posts
Vinyl and heat from an exhaust sounds like an excellent idea. Maybe put a gas can there too. LOL!

Just move your plate to a different location or you will continue to have the problem.
I don't have any problems with it. Works for me.

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
I don't have any problems with it. Works for me.
If I remember correctly the AZ plates are smaller and sit up higher than the OP's set up.

·
Premium Member
13,613 Posts
If I remember correctly the AZ plates are smaller and sit up higher than the OP's set up.
Possibly / probably. I just know that it works on my cars with no issues.

·
Registered
708 Posts
A gent I rode Glamis with installed an aftermarket exhaust. When he installed it, he didn't pay attention to the angle, and it was angled up too far. (not by much) The heat from the exhaust gas actually melted his plastics, above the plate since the plate redirected the spent exhaust heat up/back into the plastic.

I'd check the angle of your Exhaust. It looks pretty good as far as positioning. If memory serves,,, there is more play in the exh angle up/down vs. the physical positioning via the exh mounting bracket.

You may have to loosen the Cat/turbo bracket to get the Exh angle to change and maintain a good seal at the Cat/Exh fitting also.

Another option would be to drill a couple holes in the bottom of the plate and mount if from those so the plate mounts higher and a away from the Exh tip. Or turn the plate up-side-down and re-mount. 😁

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
2,025 Posts

Good spot right here. Couple piping straps from the hardware store that just so happened to line up perfect with the plate.

I will black my plate out too. Because....the internet. And I tend to hurt people's feelings and trigger them apparently. ..

My common sense is through the roof!

·
Registered
124 Posts
I assume by the looks of the stock exhaust you still have the stock catalytic converter? If so, a nice cat delete pipe and tune will do wonders (I see your a 21 model though so depending on MFG year you might not have tunes available). I have full EVP exhaust and tune and doesn't run anywhere near as hot...can still be an issue though if you say ride 100° dunes full tilt all day. Here in PNW that's not much of an issue.

Secondly, you can make an "L" bracket out of a thin sheet of aluminum or either stainless to have a small lip below the place to deflect the heat some.

Lastly, if none of the above works and you don't want to relocate it I might suggest adding some 1/2" or even 3/4" spacers between the Tip and stock exhaust. Note your spark arrestor will then be loose so that could be an issue there.

Frankly, the easiest is just getting rid of the OEM exhaust and going with something that has an adjustable tip setup like Treal or even EVP. Sounds alone are worth it imo.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After looking at it more I think I'm going to flip the plate so the majority of it is above the 2 bolts and away from the exhaust.
Scuff, Acetone, prime and high temp paint the plate then clear coat it to keep everything sealed to it.

I can't mount it to the top of the roll cage because of the Can Am rack, but that is a good location.

I plan on gutting the cat this winter and getting the Evo Tune.

Another option would be to drill a couple holes in the bottom of the plate and mount if from those so the plate mounts higher and a away from the Exh tip. Or turn the plate up-side-down and re-mount. 😁
You get out of here with all that common sense. :)

·
Registered
708 Posts
I mounted my plate in the same location with the factory exhaust and didn't have a problem (with or without the Cat in place). I exchanged my exhaust and have yet to run it hard enough to tell if she'll make any difference in the heat department,,, but if you "need" an excuse to upgrade your exhaust,,, this would be the time. (y):unsure:

(How's that for lack of common sense??);)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good to see that is working out for you!
Those exhaust tips are so perfect for that space, wish it wasn't attached to such expensive exhaust.

·
Premium Member
8,070 Posts
Are you guys not required to have a light on your plate for at night?
Imo, gutting the cat is a good idea, but will do nothing for the heat coming out the back pipe. What it does do is create less heat in the location of the cat when its gutted/deleted.

·
Premium Member
8,216 Posts
I mounted my plate in the same location with the factory exhaust and didn't have a problem (with or without the Cat in place). I exchanged my exhaust and have yet to run it hard enough to tell if she'll make any difference in the heat department,,, but if you "need" an excuse to upgrade your exhaust,,, this would be the time. (y):unsure:

(How's that for lack of common sense??);)

View attachment 270961
I plan to use your license plate numbers for nefarious purposes...

As soon as I figure how to and what I would accomplish!

Tim

1 - 20 of 49 Posts