Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
when we did the Ensenada to La Paz the only places it was a 55gal drum was a ranch we had lunch at (Rancho Escondido) and also in San Juanico everything else was a pemex or chase truck , usually top of in the morning from the chase truck
Then meet him some where we got close to a road or he could get in to meet us otherwise alot of the towns had a pemex station
The poor Pemex attendants had a field day when 20 SXSs would pull into the station with only 2 or 4 pumps. LOL! I kinda get disappointed when I pull into the station here and there is no one to fill up my truck and convert pesos to dollars.

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
When we go I convert about 1/2 my cash ,makes everything easier

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
you want to talk about relaxing ,try Gonzaga Bay at Alfonsina’s sitting on the back patio drinking a beer you can almost feel every stress and ? Just lifting off your shoulders and just plain peacful place to hang out+ pretty damm good fish and shrimp tacos
It used to be ten times better when you had to drive 100 miles of dirt road to get there. Now that the black doom extends all the way past Gonzaga the place is infested with weekenders from Mexicali.

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
We were there on a Monday in the afternoon and there were probably less the 6/7 other people there , we try to head to mexico on a Saturday, spend the night in Ensenada ,get breakfast in the morning ,then go park the trucks and trailers at a secure site then start our trip so we can miss the majority of weekend warriors on the trails/roads The farther south we get the less crowded it is and gets really nice

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #46

Air filter did its job. Dirty X3 and air filter makes for a long day of cleaning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,354 Posts
That is a dirty filter for that single trip...
Next time put a particle separator on and post results. I wanna see the difference!

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
Man thats dirty, we did 1132 miles down there and my buddys( before I got mine) filter stayed pretty much clean, my popo with pre filters had to be cleaned everyday and changed out after 3 days , he ran same filter the hole trip and after 3 days could hardly get any dirt after tapping it out , 600 miles on my x3 and filter still looks new ,you must've been doing donuts in the silt beds down there

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Man thats dirty, we did 1132 miles down there and my buddys( before I got mine) filter stayed pretty much clean, my popo with pre filters had to be cleaned everyday and changed out after 3 days , he ran same filter the hole trip and after 3 days could hardly get any dirt after tapping it out , 600 miles on my x3 and filter still looks new ,you must've been doing donuts in the silt beds down there
S&B set up will be on there before my next Baja trip. The X3 ran good the whole trip. Some sections were really dusty and the silt bed was gnarly.

·
Premium Member
10,154 Posts
None of that dirt got through to the turbo? That's a lot of dirt!

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
None of that dirt got through to the turbo? That's a lot of dirt!
Nope. The stock filters kick ass. Donaldson filters are the best.

The best thing the manufacturers did were going to the Donaldson set up. Polaris uses it too. Had it on my XP1000.

·
Premium Member
10,154 Posts
Nope. The stock filters kick ass. Donaldson filters are the best.

The best thing the manufacturers did were going to the Donaldson set up. Polaris uses it too. Had it on my XP1000.

Do you use an Outerware? If not, why?

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Do you use an Outerware? If not, why?
No pre-filter other than the can am one. Don’t see a need for the pre-filter on the actual filter.

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
I ran an outerwear on my popo and it let all the fine dirt and dust thru but you couldn't tell the filter was dirty with it covered with the outerwear, they work good in sand because its way more corse than the dust or silt

Reactions: sand shark

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I ran an outerwear on my popo and it let all the fine dirt and dust thru but you couldn't tell the filter was dirty with it covered with the outerwear, they work good in sand because its way more corse than the dust or silt
I used an outwear initially on my XP1000 . When I switched to the blue high performance XP filter I stopped using the outwear. I found that the dust or sand that got through the outwear and did not get stuck in the filter was just trapped in there. It could not just fall off the filter, which is what would occur once I removed the outerwear.

Reactions: Desertdog01

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
Same here I chucked mine after the first time I saw how dirty my filter was , used the blue then got the r2c filter

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Same here I chucked mine after the first time I saw how dirty my filter was , used the blue then got the r2c filter
I don't see how the R2C filters are that much better than the Donaldson filters. I think Desertcraft has a R2C style filter for the X3.

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
I don't see how the R2C filters are that much better than the Donaldson filters. I think Desertcraft has a R2C style filter for the X3.
The and am filters are cheap enough I just put a new one in popo used to try and bend you over

·
Registered
156 Posts
Thanks for the great write-up. Your son will be the talk of the school. Soo cool!

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts
A trip the "kiddo" won't ever forget. Good job Dad, thanks for sharing.
I've got to do a Baja trip someday. Done Cabo on Harley's a couple trios, but that's nothing to the off road experience.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

41 - 60 of 63 Posts