Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
9,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another year and another epic adventure with Black Rhino Performance along the coast of Baja. This is my 3rd trip to Baja and it never disappoints and never gets old. Each trip has provided a different and unique experience. This year was extra special because it was the first Baja adventure for my son. He has been begging to go and I was comfortable enough, and mom, to bring him along. Experiencing Baja with my son made it that much better. Watching him embrace the local culture and people made me proud. Memories of a life time!

This year several friends that had never been joined so it was fun to watch them get the full Baja experience too. Also it was nice to reconnect with the people that have been on the previous rides and make new friends. Forum member Steve (X3Whatt!!) and his wife were on this trip. It was great to meet and hangout with them.

We crossed the border in Tijuana this year, which took us a little longer as they made us go through the X-ray machine and we had to fill out the tourism visa. If took about 40 minutes for everyone to get through. The drive along the toll road to Ensenada provides some nice scenery and this year nobody was at the toll booths, so a free trip. LOL!

We stayed at the Estero Beach Hotel & Resort, which is really nice. Also happens to be the home of the Lucas Oil short course track. Really nice rooms, pool, bar and food. We got down there early enough to enjoy the day and relax. No trip would be complete without some tacos and one of the best taco places is right up the street from the resort, Baja Burro. Soooooooooo good!!!

Day 1 of riding starts us off on a nice 20 mile ride into Santo Tomas along the highway. Getting through Ensenada and the little town south takes some time due to the 7000 stop signs (ok maybe like 100 stop signs). Once in Santo Tomas we fuel up and head to coast along a dirt road that is super fun. It is a rally style road, but you have to be careful as the local use the road as well as the ranchers. You can always tell when you are getting close to the coast as the temps drop and then you come up over the hill to a spectacular view of the coast. The first day you really take in all the scenery, the small towns and enjoy the 140 mile ride to San Quintin.

Once we got to the long stretch of beach I let my kid drive. He had a grin from ear to ear. We got lucky with the tide being low so there was more beach to drive on. I think it is about 15 or so miles to the end where we stop. Going 50-70mph on the beach is a lot of fun. I let him drive the rest of the way into San Quintin, which has a really fun section of sandy trails from the beach to the hotel. The guy in front of us we thought was going to roll.
He hit a "gotcha" that sent the ass end of his XP900 in the air at least 3' and sideways. Somehow he managed to save it. We made it to the hotel before sun down and a few hours before our dinner reservations. Had plenty of time to clean up and relax.

The next day is spent exploring the area around San Quintin. I let my kid drive some more. After lunch we drove to a cool spot on the beach and chilled for a while. From there we headed over to the oyster farms for some fun. Nothing like some fresh oysters. My kid actually tried a baked oyster and he kind of liked it. LOL! After the oyster farm we headed to the top of this mountain, it said Volcano in Spanish. Super steep climb the last 1/4 mile or so to get to the top. My friends were impressed I let my kid drive up to the top. Some amazing views of the entire area. After hanging out for awhile we headed back to the hotel to clean up and then head out for dinner. We went to a new place for dinner( can never go wrong with steak and lobster). It was probably the best lobster and steak I have eaten. It put to shame (insert any steakhouse/seafood place) anything you get back home. I guess the chef is somewhat known and a former executive chef.

The ride back from San Quintin to Ensenada is always fun. The pace picks up as everyone is comfortable and what is not to like about ripping along the trails to the beach and then down the beach in the mist/fog. The ride back always seems to invite the mishaps and breakage. I think the first day was 1 or 2 belts on a RZR, sway bar link bolt on a RZR and maybe a flat tire for someone. The last day was a few belts, tire, sway bar link, popped front axle, one car went for a side nap and some flat tires. Good times.

The ride back has some super fast section, silt beds, high and low trails to do some passing and just fun sections. The silt beds were good times as you hit them a plume of talcum powder like dust hits and you can't see a thing. Hoping the person in front of you does not stop or get stuck. The silt beds still had huge trenches from race trucks at the Baja 500. A lot of the route back was part of the Baja 500 and 1000 course. Super beat up, brutal and just fun. The X3 really shines in this stuff.

Right before we got to a place called Shipwreck is where the XP900 decided to take a nap. Thankfully the XP900 was a former race UTV and took the tumble like a champ. No damage other than a side mirror. Put him on his wheels and kept on going. Hung out there for a little bit and kept heading up the coast until we hit the road taking us inland back toward Santo Tomas. The last 10 or so miles heading back toward Santo Tomas is a super fun section. I was lucky enough to be the second car on that section, really don't want to be the first as you never know if a local is heading the other way around a corner. It is a fun, fast, twisty rally road with some cattle crossing (air time). Once we reach the highway it is back to Ensenada.

This year the border crossing was not too bad. We left early enough and crossed in Tecate. The line was not long when we got there and was moving. They decided to close two of the stations and that turned an hour wait to a 2 1/2 hour wait. Just enough time to get some churros. LOL!

My kid had an absolute blast on this trip. He loved everything about Baja. He totally dug how the locals would film the group as we passed by, when the kids would come up asking for "steekers" and just how friendly the people were. He will be the only one in his school that gets to say this summer I got to go to Baja, drive a X3, pretend I was an off-road racer, eat amazing food and see some of the prettiest places on earth. He will have stories he will be telling for the rest of his life. All he has been asking is when is the next trip to Baja and I have to remind him it is an adventure, not just a trip, to Baja.

Black Rhino Performance does an amazing job of organizing and putting this ride together. Eric, Ursula, Bobby, and the entire crew are some of the nicest people you will ever meet. The make sure everyone is having a good time. I highly recommend their rides for anyone thinking of going to Baja.

Next year I hope to do more exploring in Baja with my co-pilot/co-driver. There are rumblings of a Tecate to Cabo trip.

·
Registered
9,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Day 1 crossing and hanging out

Attachments

·
Registered
9,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We had a total of 20 SXSs - One lonely pogo stick YXZ, one rare siting of a Wildcat XX and the rest were X3 and RZRs.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On our way for some tacos. The dogs just roam around and two came up to us to just chill with us.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 140 mile ride begins:

Attachments

·
Registered
9,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This dog was here last year. He can scarf down more breakfast burritos than any eating champ.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This first view of the coast is one of my favorites

Attachments

·
Registered
9,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
more trail fun and time to drive on the beach

Attachments

·
Registered
9,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Food and drink time. Kiddo had one to many! LOL! No no he did not drink anything. He was just sitting there with his head down so my friend put a drink in front of him and took a picture. Mom liked that one.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Relax day in San Quintin. Learned that if you try to take a panorama picture and your kid keeps walking he gets in the picture a lot. LOL My friend brought a hammock and it seem to be the perfect place to set it up. As you can tell me kid is having a terrible time in Baja.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Off to the oyster farm and then to the top of the volcano.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dinner time and food coma

Attachments

·
Registered
9,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Last day of riding

Attachments

·
Registered
9,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No border crossing is complete without churros

Attachments

·
Registered
9,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Car is dirty and comes home with a new shaped portion of the rear skid. I smacked a rock or something pretty good. Time to upgrade to some Factory UTV skids. Also had a switch for my lights go bad. My lights would not go off so I just pulled the switch and disconnected. My amazon freebie rear yellow lights worked out well. Having dust lights makes it much easier for the person behind you to see you and much safer for all.

The X3 continues to impress me with what it is capable of doing in the rough terrain of Baja. Some sections were tore up and rough from the trophy trucks. My suspension soaked it up with ease and my Ultracross tires held up. I have close to 2000 miles on them now and the are wearing well.

I am now over 4000 miles on my X3 and I have not even owed it 2 years yet. LOL! I guess you can say I enjoy driving the crap out of it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,172 Posts
Thats a fun quick trip great introduction to Baja

Reactions: sand shark

·
Premium Member
2,172 Posts
How many days was the trip?
its like a 3 day trip 4 if you count the trip into mexico they do a good ride and pretty reasonable last time I looked I think under 700 for 2 If I remember right or prices havent gone up

Reactions: DesertTarantula
1 - 20 of 63 Posts