Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had to get a full frame replacement and a new transmission. I picked up my X3 Max last night and took it out for a ride today. When I got home I did a walk around to make sure everything was tight and in place. I realized the front shocks were put back in backwards and now the Fox reservoirs are on the top and outside of the springs. The left shock is on the right and the right is on the left. My question is, is there any mechanical reason why they were tucked in under the front plastics or is it strictly a visual thing? I'm definitely going to tell the shop about it when they open up Tuesday, but is it something that has to be switched back? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Before-

After-
20210116_205608.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Nothing mechanically will change but looking at the pictures the front plastic inside the opening for the shocks needs to be trimmed otherwise your reservoirs will hit it as the suspension cycles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nothing mechanically will change but looking at the pictures the front plastic inside the opening for the shocks needs to be trimmed otherwise your reservoirs will hit it as the suspension cycles.

Yeah that's the only thing I was thinking. I didn't see any marks on the plastics or reservoirs from the ride today but then again I took it easy out there. Had a bit of a tentative feeling on the first ride after the rebuild. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
673 Posts
No issue, many flip them like this intentionally. 99% of the time its just for looks, there's a few accessories that actually require them to be flipped this way. As mentioned the plastic needs to be trimmed a touch.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
The shocks will defiantly hit you plastics during full suspension compression. You will need to trim a radius in the plastic. There are several threads on the issue. Search function is your friend.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I don't think the shocks hit on the 64" car but definitely on the 72" car.

Some people flip them for the look or whatever, but a lot of shock tower braces (not all) require this because the brace won't fit between the reservoirs.

BTW if you want to switch back, you have to swap sides. The reservoir is offset from centerline, so the shocks will only go on one side without hitting the frame. Why CanAm decided the car needed a left and a right shock instead of a symmetric part is beyond me.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Another benefit to swapping the reservoirs outside besides looks, is the shocks should run slightly cooler since the reservoirs are not being continually blasted with hot air coming off the radiator.

·
Registered
62 Posts
On a 2017 and 2020 XDS (64") there's zero rubbing even with maxed out suspension when jumping. On anything 72" you'll have to do some decent trimming

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Zero rubbing, but adjusting them just became the thing of nightmares. Worse if you have limit straps like mine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts