Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I need to grease the bearings in the next few days. I have a 400lbs battery powered impact wrench. Will it be enough to brake the axle nuts loose on the X3?
TIA

·
Registered
758 Posts
Double what’s needed ......do you know the axle nut torque ?

·
Registered
758 Posts
Yes ......I was making sure you didn’t think it was 400 lbs since you weren’t sure a 400 lbs impact would remove it

Reactions: flatovercrest

·
Registered
620 Posts
While in theory it should work, i wouldnt be one bit surprised if it struggled alot

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
758 Posts
Then in theory you don’t have an actual 400 lb impact if it has trouble breaking 177 ft lbs free :)

the struggle is real ! Use a 420 !

·
Registered
348 Posts
There’s breaking force. That can multiply actual torque. Gotta break that nut free and it can have a friction bond with washer and axle threads that takes first movement to release. You don’t have that issue installing the nut.

I have a 1100 ft lb impact and it will break almost anything loose. My previous 500 ft lb impact struggled on my Rhino castle nut years ago.

I think a 400 ft lb impact is one of weaker ones. It could definitely struggle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
758 Posts
All my impacts are rated at breaking force ......or as Milwaukee calls it .....nut busting force ....a 450 lb will break 450 lbs and slightly more ......same with my 250, 650 but the 1400 lbs Milwaukee has 1400 lbs of nut busting torque and 1100 lbs of fastening torque

what’s struggle to you ? And extra 4-5 seconds ? 10 seconds ? No way any quality true 400 lbs can’t break free less than half its rating or it’s time to buy a better one !

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It worked. Approx 30 seconds per axle nut before it broke them loose (and nearly 2 batteries). Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
42 Posts
It worked. Approx 30 seconds per axle nut before it broke them loose (and nearly 2 batteries). Thanks for the input.
Sigh.. I'm glad it came off but I've long lost patience for underpowered tools. 1/2" milwaukee impact doesn't even struggle to pull axle nuts off on the most seized up ones there are lol. At some point you get tired of fooling around and just buy the big guns for projects like this. It'll save you a lot of time and trouble in the long run even if expensive initially

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sigh.. I'm glad it came off but I've long lost patience for underpowered tools. 1/2" milwaukee impact doesn't even struggle to pull axle nuts off on the most seized up ones there are lol. At some point you get tired of fooling around and just buy the big guns for projects like this. It'll save you a lot of time and trouble in the long run even if expensive initially
Yes, good point. For me personally greasing the bearings, suspension and changing the oil, brake pads and such is the most my mechanical skills will allow me to do. Anything more than that and it would go to the dealer for service. So my own tools and power tools reflect that. Not going to invest in tools I won't use.

·
Registered
758 Posts
that sounds like you get 15 seconds per battery !

·
Registered
620 Posts
I agree, my milwaukee impact is one of the best things i bought, worth the very many pennies

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts